Tripod suggestions for Canon XH A1 - Page 19 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old June 12th, 2009, 09:59 AM   #271
Contributor

The Libec 38 is what I use. I think it's about the cheapest one you can get that's adequate for the camera and doesn't have "bounceback" at the end of a pan.

The smaller and cheaper Libec 22 is very smooth but just a bit undersized for the camera's weight. However, it can be used if you have a steady hand, and use the horizontal lock at the end of a pan--there's just a bit of bounceback to it but it is controllable. It's difficult to do perfect moves with the 22 when zoomed in very far, and it doesn't go up high enough to suit me. I got one when I first bought the camera because I wanted something very light weight. It was useable and I liked it for the compact size and weight, but I sold it and got the 38. I have the TA-100 tripod adapter plate, a bellows matte box, 4X4 filters, a shotgun mic and wireless mic attached to the camera, so it was a bit too heavy for the 22.

A good place to buy a Libec in the U.S. is from Tapeworks Texas, a sponsor here. They were cheaper than B&H when I got mine.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 04:40 PM   #272
Major Player

I have a Matthews 25 and am very satisfied for the price.
http://www.videomaker.com/article/13346/

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=REG&A=details
Michael Hutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2009, 03:00 PM   #273
Regular Crew

I did an extensive search which resulted in a Libec 38, bought it a few moths ago and am very happy with the robust design and smooth pans!

RW
Old June 14th, 2009, 09:28 AM   #274
Major Player

I've happily used the "Sunpak 7575" with my heavy XL2 and now XH A1s. It can handle the weight of the XL 2 and surely the A1s, it has two quick release plates, bubble levels and a smooth 3 way pan system. The online pix don't do it justice.

It's only $80.00 It's big brother is $90.00.
Danny Winn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2009, 04:37 PM   #275
Major Player

It would not surprise me if the Matthew 25 and the Libec came from the same factrory. The look excactly the same as does the Wako tripod.
Wako en Libec both come from Wako industries.
Ann Bens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2009, 10:15 AM   #276
Contributor

The Wako is made in China:
http://www.made-in-china.com/image/2...pod-KH-25-.jpg

Libec is a British company, with the tripods being made in Japan. The Wako could be a cheap Chinese knockoff that's equally as good, but who knows.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2009, 12:38 PM   #277
Regular Crew

From a post I made in Nov. '07:

I spoke with a Matthews rep, and found that the legs are actually the same as the Libec TH-M20, and the head is a new design from Matthews. It's made in Taiwan.
Tsu Terao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 02:55 PM   #278
Regular Crew

Tripod/Head Advice XH-A1

Hey guys, I'm new here to the forums and I'm still trying to learn the skills of the trade. I bought an xh-a1 recently and have been using it with a Manfrotto 503 head on Manfrotto sticks (don't know the model #). No surprise I am having the same issues a lot of you have with the 503 head. It sticks like crazy when trying to pan, it's about to drive me crazy, almost impossible to get a good smooth pan.

So my question is can you guys recommend a good tripod/head combo for around $1,200 that would meet my needs. I am shooting weddings, engagement videos and corporate stuff. But I really want my stuff to look professional and want to acquire the correct equipment in order to do so. I also am about to purchase a 7D so is there a combo that would work well for both cameras? Thanks in advance.

I know this subject has been exhausted, so even links to relevant threads would be helpful. I apologize for beating a dead horse with this thread but could really use some advice. Thanks.
J. Chris Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2009, 10:00 PM   #279
Regular Crew

Anyone? Sorry about the newb question.

Bumpity bump.......
Old November 14th, 2009, 11:44 PM   #280
Major Player

If I was looking at something to buy that would be suitable for your camera, I would seriously be looking at a Vinten Vision 3AS head. I think your existing tripod is a 75mm, so it should work on it.

Vinten | Vision 3AS Pan and Tilt Head | www.vinten.com
Old November 14th, 2009, 11:50 PM   #281
Regular Crew

how does this compare to the Sachtler FSB-6? is the Sachtler worth the extra cash in you guys opinion?
Old November 15th, 2009, 12:34 AM   #282
Trustee

I think the Sachtler FSB heads are worth the money. There is extensive discussion about allthe heads in this range here. Perhaps someone will put up a couple of links to those threads.

It also depends on what you are shooting. If the Bogen head is not good enough for your needs, then it is necessary to go to one of the more expensive heads. I have a Gitzo that is excellent. I have used the Sachtler and several people I know own them, and all find it an outstanding head. Some people like the Cartoni Focus, but it is a 100mm bowl and I think not as good as the Sachtler. Several people have praised the new Vinten series suggestedin another post in this thread.

I have never found the middle price heads to be worth buying, though for some people they work well from what I read.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2009, 06:25 AM   #283
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Chris Moore View Post
how does this compare to the Sachtler FSB-6? is the Sachtler worth the extra cash in you guys opinion?
I don't have the 3AS but the previous 3 model and I can't see any reason other than loading it up with a really heavy unit, that you would want or need to spend more money. Both the Vinten models are superb and will serve you well.
Peter Damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2009, 06:59 PM   #284
Regular Crew

Thanks everyone for your replies. Anyone else have any advice. Will the satchler work well with a 7d also or do I need to look at a different combo for that camera?
Old November 19th, 2009, 08:19 PM   #285
Regular Crew

I agree with the above advice regarding tripods. My previous tripods were for stills only - as long as they kept the camera off the ground they were OK.

I Shoot with a Canon XH-A1, 5D, 5Dmkii and a 7D. After researching this site on tripods, I narrowed it down to either Miller or Gitzo. I bought the Gitzo GT3541XLS after looking at the extensive selection at my local store - West Photo.

For travel I bought the Gitzo GT0540. Disassembled it fits inside my carry on.

For a head I bought a G2380 and a G2180 for my Glidecam. These work fine for the DSLR's but are somewhat difficult to level with the XH-A1 - they are both flat mounted heads.

For future use I also picked up a GS5320V 75mm bowl adapter for either a Sachtler FSB-6 or the new Vinten 3AS.

Pretty much blew the budget on tripods - now I can't afford the Sachler/Vinten head.

However, I don't think I will be forced to upgrade my tripods!
Jay Houser is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads