Tripod suggestions for Canon XH A1 - Page 22 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old April 15th, 2010, 01:54 PM   #316
Regular Crew

You're more than welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
Thank you for your kind words, greatly appreciated. The review was bloody hard work, can't imagine why anyone would do it as a living. Coal mining seems slightly easier, if considerably more dangerous.

My pleasure, Chris. I know how hard writing is because, well, I actually do it for a living. That, and as much video production as I can juggle. But your article was a quick, informative, and fun read and that's what it's all about -- sweating blood so the results seem effortless.

Re: my current situation, I'm gearing up for my first Sachtler/Vinten/Miller-level head and tripod. I've been using an antiquated Manfrotto and avoiding pans and tilts for the most part. As I said, I've got the three Canons, all light camera: the 5DMKII with a decent-sized lens and the XHA1 solo both weigh a little more than 4 pounds. The T2i weighs so little a party balloon could whisk it away, so I wasn't counting on using that on the tripod.

That said, I'm intrigued by your mysterious final comments. My guess is you're not talking about the AS3. So, are you suggesting I wait before buying?

Cheers,

Greg
Greg Joyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010, 04:55 PM   #317
Inner Circle

Don't know, unfortunately............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Joyce View Post
So, are you suggesting I wait before buying?
Not really, it could be a long wait.

Can't say more than "I'm working on it".

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 03:40 PM   #318
Inner Circle

Bob,

I was reading your post and Know exactly what you are going through having been there.

I purchased a Miller F fluid head that was many years old ( still solid and no leaks) but was a huge improvement over my cheaper tripods.

I no longer use the head. I have a 75mm ball under it but it also has a flat base so it could go on a regular camera tripod too. I would let you have it for a song if you are really in need with low budget. I used it with a canon gl2 with good effect.

If you want to try it out I could send it on down, it is just on the shelf catching dust.

Dale Guthormsen
Old June 22nd, 2010, 02:16 PM   #319
Regular Crew

Good Tripod?

I have been looking to purchase a tripod for a few weeks now and keep going back to the manfrotto. All throughout film school, I used these and was usually pleased with my result. I have a budget of around 500 and had my eye on this one.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/523163-REG/Manfrotto_055XB_Pro_Tripod_with.html
I am afraid that I am leaning towards manfrotto just because that is almost the only professional tripod I have ever used. Should I keep waiting and looking? Scott at tapeworks showed me a few Libecs for around the price range and they seem kinda cheap looking. Just my own opinion.

By the way:
Sony Hvr-v1u
Interviews shorts and documentaries. Some time lapse.
Brandon Barnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 02:37 PM   #320
Trustee

Brandon,

At that budget, I would save an extra $300 and get the basic Sachtler FSB-4.

The tripod legs you link to do not seem to have a leveling bowl so you have to get the head level by adjusting individual legs - which is frustrating.

If you really can't go much higher in price, then maybe this one:

Manfrotto - 745XB MDeVe Video Tripod Kit with 503HDV Fluid Head

There is at least a leveling bowl in that one.

I would personally either save the $$$ for the basic Sachtler, or try to get a Manfrotto with better legs - twin tube legs with a spreader, like this one: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/496825-REG/Manfrotto_503HDV_351MVB2K_503HDV_351MVB2K_Aluminum_Video_Tripod.html

The Libecs are OK - but the LS-22 is a bit lightweight for the Sony V1 (I had one and wasn't happy with it) and the LS-38 counterbalance is too strong for the V1, despite what other people say. It's no good trying to tilt the camera if you are fighting the spring. Been there, done that, wasted the money. It's designed for heavier cameras, of 4kg/8lbs and above.

The Manfrotto has the advantage of adjustable drag/tilt friction and a degree of counterbalance adjustment. If you really can't spend any more money, then it is as good as you can get. I owned a similar Vinten Pro-6HDV, and it was good for your sort of work. It wasn't great for long lens wildlife work, but great for events, interviews etc.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 03:52 PM   #321
Regular Crew

thanks

thanks a bunch mike. I really like the Manfrotto - 503HDV,351MVB2K Aluminum Video - 503HDV,351MVB2K
Manfrotto - 503HDV,351MVB2K Aluminum Video - 503HDV,351MVB2K

I am pretty confident that I will end up saving my money and going with the 650 dollar setup.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 10:23 AM   #322
Sponsor: TapeWorks Texas

Brandon - I just emailed you some more information

Mike, Brandon's first email was requesting a tripod system under $500, so this does limit the tripod selection and trying to find something within a budget can be top priority! Therefore I did recommend the LS22 system, even though I agree with you that they are not what I classify as a pro system.

When comparing the H38 vs the 503HDV, I agree with your statement
""the LS-38 counterbalance is too strong for the V1, despite what other people say. It's no good trying to tilt the camera if you are fighting the spring. Been there, done that, wasted the money. It's designed for heavier cameras, of 4kg/8lbs and above."

When using a camcorder like the Sony NXCAM, HVRZ7U, Canon XHA1S and similar camcorders that have a total weight with accessories around 6 - 8 lbs, the H38 will shine all the way up to about 15 lbs.
The V1U is a bit too light for the H38 head. I am unsure about the 503HDV with a camera like the V1 as I have only tested it against the H38 with camcorders ranging around 8 lbs
The 503HDV has a Multi-spring 3 step counterbalance that may be of assistance with the lighter weight. I think I will have to test this myself! However, considering price point and quality of the head when using 8lbs, I personally prefer the H38 over the 503HDV. And, if you want superb customer support, as I have mentioned before in this thread, Libec has some of the best customer support in this industry.

I did mention to Brandon that If he is planning on upgrading his camcorder, then I would suggest the H38, otherwise if he will be sticking with the V1U for a while, the 503HDV may be a better fit for his application. Additionally, as mentioned in this forum, if he can save up to a better (and more expensive) system, he would be extremely happy with the new Libec RS250M system which compares to Sachtler's FSB4 systems and has a better price point. Libec-RS SERIES RS-250M
I have tested the new RH25 head and it is really amazing! It has a continuous counterbalance that I have adjusted using upwards to 13 lbs with a GYHD250 camcorder (although I would recommend the RS350 system with the GYHD250) and all the way down to 2 lbs with the Canon 5D Mark II. Tapeworks website reflects a sell price of $1099.00, However, I have it on promotion this month for $949.00, one heck of a price for one spectacular tripod system!

Mike, if you have a dealer over there in the UK with the RS250 avaialble for demonstration, you really should go take a look at it!

Best Regards,
Scott Cantrell
Tapeworks Texas Inc - DVinfo Sponser
tapeworksscott@sbcglobal.net
Scott Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 11:48 AM   #323
Trustee

Hey Scott,

I agree with what you say. Libec do make good equipment, and if it matches your camera it is great. I use a Libec zoom remote, for example - it just works, and doesn't have any extra buttons that I hit by mistake with my fat fingers. I also owned a couple of different Libecs (the 22 and 37 - and the LS-37 is doing sterling service for another member here under his Sony EX-3).

The counterbalance settings on the 503HDV do indeed make life a lot better with the lighter cams like these.

If you have a slightly bigger/heavier cam, or typically use lights, matte box, monitor etc., then I do agree the LS-38 will be superb for the price - you just have to get a good match. One thing I couldn't fault about the Libecs was the quality of the workmanship, they're well made and robust, and excellent value for money.

Us "small cam" people always face problems with tripods. Tripods rated for small cameras are the cheaper models, and tripods that are more expensive are rated for heavier cameras! The Sachtler FSB-2 or FSB-4 seem to tick all the boxes for smaller cameras like my Panasonic HMC41.

The new Libec range is very interesting (and wasn't available when I was buying), especially with Vinten-style fully adjustable counterbalance. That should make them streets ahead of any of the Manfrottos mentioned above, and the drag looks to be a lot easier to configure as well. I did wonder if Vinten had a patent on that one, but clearly not! The Sachtlers only have stepped counterbalance, so you can find that one settings is too light and the next is too strong. Not a problem with continuous counterbalance.

Having said that, I am unlikely to change from my Sachtler! I feel I can comment because I've worked my way up through the brands and models - everyone has different needs and different budgets.

A point for Brandon as well - and one that I feel we forget sometimes - if you really can, you should get yourself to a store and try out tripods. What you read here is only my experience, and yours may well be different.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2010, 09:32 AM   #324
Regular Crew

Ok. So i am sold on the 503hdv head but are there sticks that might be a little bit cheaper. Do I really need the 351mvb2k legs? Any suggestions? I am really trying to fall around 500 for total budget.
Old June 30th, 2010, 09:37 AM   #325
Inner Circle

Brandon, I am selling my 503HDV (just the head, no tripod). Slightly used. If you are interested, please contact me at info@lacolorshop.com

Thanks
Taky
Old June 30th, 2010, 09:57 AM   #326
Regular Crew

Taky,

Sent you an email.
Old June 30th, 2010, 11:14 AM   #327
Regular Crew

ok. now where can I just buy tripod legs. I wanna check on prices of the 351mvb2k legs alone. Do they sell them alone?

Last edited by Brandon Barnard; July 1st, 2010 at 09:00 AM.
Old July 1st, 2010, 09:02 AM   #328
Regular Crew

I finally just did it. I bought a 503hdv head off of another user and got the legs(351mvb2k) off of b and h. Thanks for all the advice guys.
Old July 6th, 2010, 02:56 PM   #329
Regular Crew

So, Ive read this whole thread Twice. I'm confused, as they're conflicting opinions.

Is the Libec 22 a better tripod than the 503 tripod and head

thanks
Andrew Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 03:31 PM   #330
Major Player

Andrew

This thread has got to the point of personal preferences. There is no right or wrong answer. I read this thread, and a few others. I finally bought the Libec 38 on the basis of reviews, of what I could afford, of what I was willing to carry (and it's really too bulky for me to carry comfortably) and of what was reasonably easily available in Britain.

If you have access to a shop, or to people who already have video tripods, have a look at what they have, pick them up, extend them, carry them about, etc. Decide what you want, and what you feel comfortable with. If not, you have to choose your criteria, get it mail order and hope for the best. It's always a compromise whichever way you do it.

Good luck

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads