Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q1Q2) - Page 106 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old May 16th, 2005, 07:27 AM   #1576
Sponsor: JET DV

Either of those should work fine. As others suggested, there are alternatives (and mine DOES get quite hot). The external drive should be fine. Make sure you've figured out the delivery method. For example, you may need to take a VHS recorder with you also and use the pass-thru on your camera to get them something they can play.

Yes, I wrote the code in Excalibur.
Old May 16th, 2005, 07:39 AM   #1577

Steve, I'm sorry but I have not yet. I've also lost the e-mails you sent. I still have the files that were IN the e-mails but not your e-mail address. Just send me a simple e-mail so I can get your address back. I still plan to look at it real soon.
Old May 16th, 2005, 02:23 PM   #1578
Trustee

Print To Tape Won't Work

When I try to print to tape from the timeline (prior to rendering) the command box to print to tape is shaded, preventing me from clicking. I get the option to select the color bars/tone lead in, but when I click next, the whole box is shaded. How may I fix this?
Old May 16th, 2005, 02:37 PM   #1579
Trustee

I Upgraded

I got the full Vegas 6.0 and DVD Architect 3.0 for $199.99 (returning customer appreciation thing, I guess). I bought it directly from Sony.

BUT BEWARE: Make sure your current computer configuration can handle the way Sony has version 6.0 use the CPU. Apparently, you get faster renders (I can vouch for that) but it puts such a hurting on the CPU that it causes it to overheat and renders freeze causing you to have to start all over again. Keep that in mind and check out our threads on this. The software pushes the CPU to its limit trying to give you th ebest possible performance but make sure your CPU can handle the extra load.

This is pretty much what I've been told.

Last edited by Hugh DiMauro; May 16th, 2005 at 02:38 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old May 16th, 2005, 02:39 PM   #1580

Did you select the proper output device in the preferences?
Old May 16th, 2005, 02:39 PM   #1581
Trustee

Yes. OHCI Compliant (DV)
Old May 16th, 2005, 03:00 PM   #1582
Inner Circle

Dear Sam,

I have a Sony Vaio RA-910G, (3.4ghz) with Windows Media Center Edition (2004). Vegas 4.0 and Vegas 6.0 work well with this setup.

Windows Media Center Edition 2004 was based on Windows XP Professional and in Microsoft's words, the most complete version of Windows.

However, I have been told, by Sony Technicians, that Windows Media Center Edition 2005 is based on Windows XP Home edition. They also said for that reason, they do not recommend upgrading to Windows Media Center Edition 2005 from 2004.
Old May 16th, 2005, 06:23 PM   #1583
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sieben
Check my site (URL below). I can recommend the short movie BitterSweet, which has been edited heavily with Vegas including reframing, color correction and title effects.
Hello,Peter!!!
Grate picture,grate vision of your movie BitterSweet! Would you tell me what is the camera you use there, what filters/fx you use in Vegas? I tried with so many combinations and settings, but the result is so far away from the look like in your film. Please for your reply, help, examples and suggestions!
Old May 16th, 2005, 06:33 PM   #1584
Major Player

Yeah but, they're going to be "Gourmet" hotdogs and I'll be wearing a thong!
That should attract a huge clientele!!!

RB
Old May 16th, 2005, 06:37 PM   #1585
Trustee

Make sure the camera is on "camera" not VCR.

Aaron
Old May 16th, 2005, 11:59 PM   #1586
Major Player

The camera used was the Panasonic DVX100 (PAL version), used in the 25P mode with the cinegamma settings activated.
The footage was edited straight in Vegas, using the Color Correction tool and a bit of Contrast/Brightness tweaking. Depending on the part of the movie (flashback, present and afterlife) I've color corrected differently:
- flashback: desaturated, to make the colors almost disappeared (to give the old-memories feeling like finding pictures on the attic with dust on it);
- present: a very-very little desaturation (the life of the man lost a bit of color due to the death of his wife),
- afterlife: added yellow and a bit of red colors (the coule experience eternal sunshine and hapiness now they are together again).

I've just been experimenting with the color correction, and am not an expert at all. Vegas allows you to do that, as you see.
Old May 17th, 2005, 12:37 AM   #1587
Trustee

Maybe I'm missing something, but how can looking at a finished product tell you if an NLE is any good?

You basically have cuts, fades and maybe some colour correction. Almost any product can do those.

Using it is the way to work out if you want to switch.

Aaron
Old May 17th, 2005, 12:50 AM   #1588
Trustee

How do you manage colour correction and multiple clips?

I've just finished another project - this time for our entry in the 48hour film project and had the same issue that I've always had, so thought this time I'd ask for some help.

When I got to the colour correction phase, I often have to colour correct/adjust various scenes and shots so they look how I want. The problem comes when you want to do the same changes to a group of clips - different changes to others, and none to some. How do you arrange your clips, or edit them, in order to make this flow better? Do you prefer multiple tracks and then each set of clips that will have the same FX applied go on the same track? Do you apply "Media FX" and duplicate?

Media FX is good, but if the clip contains lots of scenes (Not broken up) then you can get into trouble.

Just after some ideas on your workflows to make this easier next time.

Cheers
Aaron
Old May 17th, 2005, 12:55 AM   #1589
Regular Crew

Vegas 5 stalls for quite awhile - anime video

Hello,

PC Spec: Athlon 1.2GHz and 512mb ram.

I did not have any problems editing .AVI before. But suddenly Vegas 5 stalls when I try to edit an .AVI anime (Japanese animation) video.
The size of the video clip is around 180mb.

I import the video clip and the building clips for the import takes <b>extremely long!</b> (stalls at 0%)

Is it because it is an animation video clip? Importing digital video to the media pool never took this long. Any solutions? TIA.
Old May 17th, 2005, 12:57 AM   #1590
Regular Crew

If you are apply the FX to grouping that are not related to the orginal media clips, then your track approach is a good one.

If you want to apply them to, let's say. all the events that orginated with the same media, then Apply Effects in Excalibur will make things a lot easier.

Gary
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...