Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q1Q2) - Page 113 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old May 26th, 2005, 07:55 PM   #1681
Inner Circle

BMD board

Has anyone used the Black Magic Design board with Vegas 6 yet? If so, how do you like it?
Old May 26th, 2005, 09:34 PM   #1682
Regular Crew

How to jump to next marker?

I've scoured the manual but cannot find any key-command or other way to jump to the next marker. Is there one?

Thanks,

Tony
Old May 26th, 2005, 09:36 PM   #1683
Major Player

FWIW, I have Acid Pro 5 and I installed Vegas 6 with no problems.

Good luck.

Dennis
Old May 26th, 2005, 09:38 PM   #1684
Regular Crew

The Eqium plug-in does this beautifully without degrading your sound.

http://www.elementalaudio.com/products/eqium/index.html

I used it on some acoustic guitar tracks that had ground hum and it completely removed it. It has presets just for this that notch out the 60hz and up to 7 ever-decreasing harmonics above it.

Tony

Last edited by Tony Rockliff; May 27th, 2005 at 10:52 AM.
Old May 26th, 2005, 09:49 PM   #1685
Major Player

Control-left arrow, Control-right arrow. If no markers are set it goes to start of track and end of track.

Good luck.

Dennis
Old May 26th, 2005, 10:33 PM   #1686
Regular Crew

Thanks very much!
Old May 26th, 2005, 11:51 PM   #1687
Regular Crew

I know this is a dumb question but Vegas defaults to a progressive timeline setting.If I want to keep my timeline interlaced what are the propre settings.upper field first?
Old May 27th, 2005, 07:20 AM   #1688
Sponsor: JET DV

DV is lower field first.

To change your settings, go to file - properties, change the settings as desired, and check the box thats says "start all new projects with these settings".
Old May 27th, 2005, 07:54 AM   #1689
Major Player

I NEVER encode in vegas. I render to a PAL DV file, then do ALL my transcoding work in Canopus Procoder. Means I have a full resolution/bitrate original I can always work with again, and also IMO Procoder handles encoding better than Vegas (or any other mid priced NLE for that matter.)

If I want something to look its very best, then undoubtedly it goes to CCE SP.
Old May 27th, 2005, 08:20 AM   #1690
Major Player

Best way to re-sync sound after slow-mo?

I have found that the cleanest way to get the coveted 24p look with a 30p camera is to slow the clip by 80%. Whether or not this will allow me to break into Hollywood is still up in the air ;-)

But I do like the look a little more than 30p, and it is more easily converted to film and all that. So for clips without much talking (as the talking will become distorted) I slow the vid down through the properties menu and the playback speed option by 80%.

Now, one would think that by slowing the audio down by 80% (in Sound Forge it is a "120% length increase") it would end up the same length. But not even close. It has to be lengthened by 124.88%, a seemi8ngly arbitrary number.

1) Can someone tell me why this is, and

2) is there a better way to do this within the confines of Vegas 6 without the mess?

In the end, it never syncs perfectly, but it always ends up within a frame or two.

Thanks for your help,

DJ Kinney
djkinney@gmail.com

Cam: Canon GL2
Software: Sony Vegas 6
Ship: Leviathan
Old May 27th, 2005, 10:47 AM   #1691
Fred Retread

The hum is no doubt 60 Hz or 120 Hz. Typical sound programs offer menu-selectable "notch filters" to remove those frequencies without removing other sound content. I have found the one in Cool Edit to be 100% effective. If you have to set up your own filters, set them for removal 59-61 Hz and 119-121 Hz.
Old May 27th, 2005, 12:23 PM   #1692
Inner Circle

Using ShuttlePro with Vegas 6.0

When I upgraded from Vegas 4.0 to Vegas 6.0 I could not get the ShuttlePro to work with Vegas 6.0. The ShuttlePro would not work with 6.0(a) or 6.0(b).

I thought I was using the latest ShuttlePro driver, but I was not. I had downloaded the latest driver from www.contourav.com, but this is not the correct site to obtain the proper driver for Vegas 6.0.

It turns out that the proper driver is 2.6.4 which is available from www.contourdesign.com.

I understand from the Sony forum that there is a separate issue with using the ShuttlePro with the capture utility, but I have not attempted to address that issue as I only use the ShuttlePro within the main portion of Vegas.
Old May 27th, 2005, 12:34 PM   #1693
Inner Circle

Remember the name of the target executable for Vegas changed with the version change and the target application in the ShuttlePro settings file must be updated to point to the new filename.
Old May 27th, 2005, 12:57 PM   #1694
Regular Crew

Well, if you're going to use Procoder, you can save yourself a rendering step by frameserving out of Vegas using Satish's free frameserver app (debugmode.com).
It's as if you're rendering straight from the Vegas timeline, but using Procoder.
Old May 27th, 2005, 01:28 PM   #1695
Regular Crew

Hi,

30/25=1.25 (or 125%) however,

Is the 30 FPS drop frame or non-drop frame? This may be the difference.

In drop frame video, Every frame :00 & :01 are dropped for each minute change except for minutes with 0’s (00:, 10:, 20:, 30:, 40: & 50:)

That being the case, there will be less than 30 frames per second if your clip is long enough! This can account for the % number from Sound Forge.

I believe you can stretch a clip in Vegas and maintain original sound pitch. If you want to do the entire piece that way, set the File->Properties->Video->Frame Rate to 28.97

Cheers,

-Matt

a pixel a day keeps boredom at bay
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...