Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q1Q2) - Page 110 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old May 22nd, 2005, 04:27 PM   #1636
Major Player

Thanks for the advice!! I really appreciate it. I had a sense that an AVI file would be best, but I didn't really know the mechanics of it. Now I do!!!

Thanks again,
Milt
Old May 22nd, 2005, 04:50 PM   #1637
Major Player

[QUOTE= find a place that has either beta or digibeta machines hooked up to their NLE .. if they use avid then you would go to avids site and download their CODEC (meridian ?) if they use FCP or other NLE with decklink then go to decklink and download their blackmagic codec ... [/QUOTE]

Hmm...so I'm thinking further about this and wondering - Since I use Vegas 6.0 and I don't see either of these CODEC's in the rendering options - my next question is - will VEGAS render in these other codecs and what's the process for inporting these? Is there someplace that I need to save the codec once I download it?

thanks again,
Milt
Old May 22nd, 2005, 08:03 PM   #1638
Major Player

Overlays

I'm struggling to get into overlays, parent / child tracks, and masks. I can't get it yet... the tracks' hierarchy of what affects what in what way, and part of my problem is not understanding the lingo.
I guess my 1st question is ,"What's a 'garbage mask'?"
Thanks, I'm afraid more will follow.
I'm very excited about the potential these effects have. I'm still using Vegas 4.0e, as it is obviously way smarter than I am.
Old May 22nd, 2005, 08:30 PM   #1639
Inner Circle

In Vegas, you can get the same effect as a garbage mask by using:
Cookie cutter OR
bezier masks (introduced in V5)

You can find information about these in the manual.
Old May 22nd, 2005, 09:20 PM   #1640
Regular Crew

Thanks

Edward you are a godsend..Thanks again.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 07:59 PM   #1641
Tourist

My audio track is not syncronized with the picture

Hello,

I'm using vegas 6.0

A cut and paste parts of a big 1,5 GIG MPG video into a little 127 MB MPG Video...

My voices are not syncronized my with my video and I dont know why...

Can someone help me?
Thank you in advance

PS: In my project I have 2 video tracks ans 4 audio tracks
Old May 23rd, 2005, 08:21 PM   #1642
Sponsor: JET DV

From your description, it will be hard to answer. For example, was the original file in sync? Also, how were the pieces cut an pasted? Can you simply move the audio so that it IS back in sync?

Also, you do realize that MPEG is NOT a good editing format?
Old May 23rd, 2005, 09:17 PM   #1643
Rextilleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt Lee
Hmm...so I'm thinking further about this and wondering - Since I use Vegas 6.0 and I don't see either of these CODEC's in the rendering options - my next question is - will VEGAS render in these other codecs and what's the process for inporting these? Is there someplace that I need to save the codec once I download it?

thanks again,
Milt
Milt, I'm currently working on a prison related documentary ( I assumed that your title says that you just finished one--but I could be assuming) Would love to trade war stories with you and pick your brain.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 11:53 PM   #1644
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

You download the codec ..they will tell you which folder to install them..

for win2K/XP & black magic ... C\winNT\system32\quicktime

once you install it then it will show up when you choose to render QT - then you have to go into custom/advanced , Video , video format then choose from among 8-20 different QT codec's = in this case look for black magic = there will be a 10bit and 8 bit ... 8bit if betaSP , 10bit digibeta ..

i use a place that uses FCP with decklink ... i'm on PC with Vegas .. i render out of vegas as QT using the Black Magic 10bit codec 720x486 ... i deliver a 1394 drive ( formatted NTFS) , most of the time i keep files to approx 40gigs each ..so i may deliver 2-4 files ..named 1,2,3,4 so they make no mistake when they drop them into FCP ... they then feed the MAC my files from their PC over their gigabyte network to the mac drives ( they do not charge for this) ... then they transfer to Digibeta using FCP/decklink card ( they charge for this) ...
Old May 24th, 2005, 02:47 AM   #1645
Inner Circle

Thanks John,

Uaing SWISHmax, is it possible to sync a beep or click to each stroke?

I've actually finished the project I needed this for but I would love to find a simpler method to the way I was doing it!

Ian . . .
Old May 24th, 2005, 09:25 AM   #1646
Major Player

Good Information. I can do that. So for the final question - if you don't mind sharing - what's the name of the house that does this?

Thanks
Milt Lee
Old May 24th, 2005, 12:20 PM   #1647
Regular Crew

Wanting to learn more about color correction

Where can I learn more about color correcting in Vegas5 using filters,histograms etc?
thanks
Old May 24th, 2005, 01:00 PM   #1648

You could start here:

http://www.bb-video.net/
Old May 24th, 2005, 01:15 PM   #1649
Regular Crew

Vegas6 A/V sync not worth much?

Vegas automatically moves all video tracks with it's audio anywhere I want it without having to sync it back up. I tried dropping two same audio tracks into different tracks, but it won't line them up...am I missing something? I thought I could just drop in two tracks from a wedding and Vegas6 would help me sync the A and B cams up, but it doesn't do that
Old May 24th, 2005, 01:37 PM   #1650

The A/V Sync will help keep the audio and video in ONE AVI file in sync and will give you an indication when they are out of sync. In fact, it will work for multiple grouped events as well.

It is not designed to sync two or more separate cameras. For that purpose, I use the Sync tool in Excalibur which will let you pick a sync point in multiple cameras and will quickly align on that point. Then you can use the multi-cam tools to easily edit that project.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...