New Adapter Enables Advanced Autofocus Capabilities When Attaching A-mount Lenses to Latest E-mount Bodies
SAN DIEGO – September 1, 2020 – Today, Sony Electronics Inc. announced the new LA-EA5, a 35mm Full-frame A-mount lens adapter that allows users to easily pair advanced E-mount camera bodies i with A-mount lenses.
Using the new LA-EA5 A-mount adapter, users can now access the acclaimed autofocus and high-speed shooting capabilities found in Sony’s latest E-mount camera bodies with A-mount SSM (Super Sonic wave Motor) and SAM (Smooth Autofocus Motor) lenses ii, as well as A-mount lenses that do not have internal focus motors.
Full support is provided for focal plane phase-detection AF iii, wide-area focal phase-detection AF iii coverage, Real-time Eye AF for both humans and animals, Real-time Tracking and AF/AE iv (auto exposure) tracking for SSM/SAM lenses on nine most recently introduced E-mount cameras at up to 11fpsv depending on the camera model. When used with the Alpha 7R IV vi or Alpha 6600 vi, for the first time, these capabilities are possible with lenses that do not have internal focus motors, such as the Sonnar T* 135mm F1.8 ZA and Planar T* 85mm F1.4 ZA.
The LA-EA5 combines a compact design, featuring an aperture drive unit and a newly developed compact AF drive unit. To ensure comfortable operation when used on an E-mount camera body, the new adapter’s diameter matches that of the A-mount, perfectly aligning with the edges of the mount. The LA-EA5 allows easy operation on full-frame E-mount bodies, even when a vertical grip is attached to the camera body.
Pricing and Availability
The LA-EA5 is available in October 2020 for a suggested retail price of $249.99 USD and $329.99 CAD.
Exclusive stories and exciting new content shot with the new lens and Sony’s other imaging products can be found at alphauniverse.com, a site created to educate and inspire all fans and customers of Sony’s α – Alpha brand.
For detailed product information, please visit https://www.sony.com/electronics/converters-mount-adapters/la-ea5
- As of Sept. 2020, focal plane phase-detection AF is supported for SSM/SAM lenses on the Alpha 7 III, Alpha 7R III, Alpha 7R IV, Alpha 6100, Alpha 6400, Alpha 6600, Alpha 9, Alpha 9 II, and Alpha 7S III. Focal plane phase-detection is supported for lenses that do not have internal focus motors on the Alpha 7R IV and Alpha 6600.
- STF lenses are manual focus only. Teleconverters are not supported.
- Autofocus is not available during movie recording.
- For AE tracking, the aperture is fixed for the first frame while shutter speed and ISO are used for exposure adjustment.
- Maximum continuous shooting speed is 10 fps with the Alpha 7R IV, Alpha 9, and Alpha 9 II, and 11 fps with the Alpha 6600. Continuous shooting speed may change depending on the attached lens.
- The Alpha 7R IV must be updated to software V1.20 or later, and the Alpha 6600 must be updated to software V1.10 or later.
About Sony Electronics Inc.
Sony Electronics is a subsidiary of Sony Corporation of America and an affiliate of Sony Corporation (Japan), one of the most comprehensive entertainment companies in the world, with a portfolio that encompasses electronics, music, motion pictures, mobile, gaming, robotics and financial services. Headquartered in San Diego, California, Sony Electronics is a leader in electronics for the consumer and professional markets. Operations include research and development, engineering, sales, marketing, distribution and customer service. Sony Electronics creates products that innovate and inspire generations, such as the award-winning Alpha Interchangeable Lens Cameras and revolutionary high-resolution audio products. Sony is also a leading manufacturer of end-to-end solutions from 4K professional broadcast and A/V equipment to industry leading 4K and 8K Ultra HD TVs. Visit http://www.sony.com/news for more information.