Adobe Premiere discussions from 2002 - Page 12 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Closed Thread

Old July 30th, 2002, 08:23 AM   #166
New Boot

Thanks
Old July 30th, 2002, 08:28 PM   #167
nbpjaroch7

re: Help! Sound probs with Microsoft DV and Premiere 6

I'm using a standard (generic) 1394 Card, using the latest Microsoft DV codec in Premiere 6 on the "DV Playback" setting, and I'm getting what sounds to be bad compression artifacting in my audio.

The settings are the DV 4800khz, 16bit stereo setting, standard 720x480. Playback from my 1394 card to a Panasonic AG DV1000 Mini-DV Deck works great except for the audio. Playback from the 1394 card to my Canon XL1-S yeilds the same results.

I have the identical setup in two other editing systems...they all produce the same artifacting audio.

When I choose a setting for non-DV NTSC or other non-DV Video For Windows options, the audio is perfect. Any ideas?

I think it is either Premiere's processing of DV, or Microsoft's DV codec....thanks for your input! - Justin

p.s. I have tried Premiere 6.0, 6.1 and 6.2 Beta

Old August 1st, 2002, 12:25 AM   #168
nbpjaroch7

Found the answer...kicking myself for how obvious. The sound files I was using were 44.1 Khz 16 bit (standard CD quality). My project file was 48khz...the compression sound was the poor sampling that Premiere was applying to bring the CD quality to Dat quality. ^_^ A quick resample in SoundForge brought the music to 48khz and everything was smooth from there on.
Thanks for your help! - Justin

Old August 7th, 2002, 11:36 AM   #169
Regular Crew

Adobe Premiere 6.5

Anyone have any input on the changes made? I am sure with this crowd someone has already been testing it.

Best,
Big James
Old August 8th, 2002, 08:11 AM   #170
Regular Crew

A friend of mine was testing it and I spent a few minutes looking at it. The interface looks exactly the same. The realtime preview seems to be one of the initial settings that you choose when setting up your project. The Mpeg2 Encoder uses Main Concept's codec and comes with tons of different presets for DVD, SVCD, and VCD.

It has both CBR and VBR, but the documentation doesn't say anything about how many passes the VBR does and I didn't have a chance to test it out.

The realtime preview worked pretty well. But then I didn't anything other than 3 AVI clips with a simple cross dissolve and a additive dissolve.
Old August 8th, 2002, 03:13 PM   #171
Regular Crew

I found deep on their page that they will support Windows XP, but the hardware supported page doesn't seem to be updated from version 6.0

Any idea if they are going to support the XL1s or the GL2?

Best,
Big James
Old August 9th, 2002, 02:04 PM   #172
Regular Crew

sorry...don't have any idea...the documentation was still 6.0 only the mpeg encoder had current documentation.
Old August 12th, 2002, 11:58 AM   #173
Regular Crew

I found out a friend of mine who is mainly a Apple guy has been beta testing Adobe 6.5. He was explaining that some of the features are not fully implemented that I should wait until the products full release before making any decisions.

Just wanted to point that out just incase some of you get your hands on a beta.

Best,
Big James
Old August 18th, 2002, 08:44 PM   #174
Parkingtigers

Why can't I capture frame mode with premiere?

Hi there.

So my XL1-s finally arrived, I took some test shots and tried to capture it with premiere 6.0

The normal mode was picked up and saved normally. All fine and groovy, but when I tried to capture the footage that was filmed in frame mode (the main reason I bought the camera) I started having problems. In the preview window, it shows the footage start, and the frame capture begins. It reaches a limit of 48 frames captured and then the picture freezes while the sound continues. Playback of these clips looks more like 2 frames have been captured than 48.

I'm sure there is a really obvious solution to this, but as an absolute newcomer to this I can't see what it might be.

Your help would be greatly apprechiated.

For the record I'm running:

Pal XL1-s.
Windows XP.
P4 1.7mhz.
512 meg ram.
80 gig hard drive.
Premiere 6.0
Cheap and cheerful firewire card.

All of this was fine for capturing normal mode, it's the frame mode that just won't work.

Adrian

Edited to add:

After reading about half the posts on here, I think that the fact that I changed the audio settings too may have affected it. The normal footage was in 12 bit, and captured fine, and the frame mode was 16 bit audio. Thing is, I'm trying to capture from the start of the frame section, so you'd think it wouldn't matter.

Frustrating.

Old August 19th, 2002, 12:26 AM   #175
Regular Crew

Adobe Premiere 6.5 or Pinnacle Pro-ONE?

I have a Canon XLS-1 camera.

Which editing program is better between these two:

--Adobe Premiere 6.5
OR
-- Pinnacle Pro-ONE

I would appreciate to know the pros and cons of each one and which one would be the overall best choice.

Some of my questions are : Can you turn your footage into black and white, need to know if either one has the option of scrolling titles for credits at the end of a movie, can either one give your footage slow-motion effect, etc.

Thank you all for your time.
Old August 19th, 2002, 02:05 AM   #176
Regular Crew

If i'm correct the Pro One hardware comes bundled w/Premiere.
Old August 19th, 2002, 09:27 AM   #177
RED Code Chef

I should have it shortly and am going to take a look at it.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old August 19th, 2002, 10:15 AM   #178
RED Code Chef

I have the following:

PAL XL1-S
Windows 2000 Professional SP3
P3 900 MHz
256 mb ram
Premiere 6.0

Capture works fine with both frame mode and
interlaced. What preset are you choosing when
Premiere starts?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old August 19th, 2002, 03:46 PM   #179
Parkingtigers

I've been using DV pal, standard, 48 khz. I also tried some custom variations too, but still it only wants interlaced footage.

Adrian

Old August 19th, 2002, 05:13 PM   #180
New Boot

Yes, the Pinnacle Pro-ONE system includes Premiere 6.0. (I'm not sure if Pinnacle plans to offer Version 6.5 with the Pro-ONE anytime soon.)

Premiere and the Pro-ONE can definitely do all the things you mentioned. It's a great combination of hardware and software for the money. I've been using it for about six months.

The best advice I can give you, if you have not yet purchased it: Make sure that you start with a computer system which is specifically supported by the Pro-ONE. It is very sensitive to compatibility issues. I ended up building a system from scratch, literally around the Pro-ONE board, and it works like a dream. But you will go through hell if you try to install it on an incompatible or untested system. Take it from me. ;-)
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite