Adobe Premiere discussions from 2002 - Page 19 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Closed Thread

Old October 12th, 2002, 05:34 AM   #271
Regular Crew

Are you capturing to a seperate drive, if so ensure all other applications such as virus monitors etc: are dissabled and defrag your drives.
Without a little more info on your system its shooting in the dark

Peter.
Old October 12th, 2002, 09:50 AM   #272
Regular Crew

I currently only have one HD in my PC it is a 40G drive with about 34G free. The drive is defraged and I am not running anti-virus software or any other programs in the background. The processor speed is 600Mhz, 128 mb of RAM, what else might you need to know? A friend of mine is running it fine with a 550 processor and 128mb of RAM which is why I don't think it is my PC, he thinks it has something to do with settings, but neither of us could figure it out? Thanks!

-SL
Old October 12th, 2002, 10:13 AM   #273
Regular Crew

Sammy
Partition your hard drive, capturing video to a system drive is asking too much, you certainly could do with more Ram but I don't think its the problem.
Peter
Old October 12th, 2002, 10:36 AM   #274
Major Player

what speed is the drive we are talking about?

5400rpm, 7200rpm?

the main problem with video systems is not raw mhz, or even proccessor speed, but with 600mhz you will struggle a lot, it is the i/o speeds.

The most likely problem is your drive simply can not write fast enough to capture at full framerate and dropping out.

sorry to say it, but seriously, if you want to edit a lot of stuff, not just occasionaly, an upgrade or new system would be in the works for you.

kermie

p.s but always make do with what you have.
Old October 12th, 2002, 05:46 PM   #275
Regular Crew

I got Premiere with my Matrox card... which they bundled with Matrox Media Tools, which does the "scan and capture".

I don't know why Adobe didn't include this feature in their software... it's in very inexpensive editing programs like Ulead VideoStudio.

Perhaps it will be in an upcoming release...
Old October 12th, 2002, 06:09 PM   #276
Regular Crew

i think my HD is 7200, but I am not sure. How can I check? Also, how do I add a partition to my HD? So, you all seem to think it is NOT a settings problem but rather an equipment issue?
Thanks!
-SL
Old October 12th, 2002, 11:41 PM   #277
Regular Crew

Chances are it's probably HD related.

Just one suggestion that might help. One time it wasn't the HD for me.
When I capped footage I used to have the DV cam connected to both the computer and TV. So i could watch the footage on a big screen as i was capping it.

Well i started to drop frames like crazy one time and I checked everything. It turns out it was having the TV connected while capping that was the problem. I capped footage before with the TV in the loop with no problem but all of a sudden it didn't like it. So now I cap without the TV. Has anybody else ever had this problem??

Have you capped succesfully before??
If not then it's probably some setting related to your HD. Hard to say what to check because there is so much. Partitioning your HD won't really help much IMO because it's still the same drive cut into 2 pieces.

You could try a scandisk to make sure the disk is in good shape.
Old October 13th, 2002, 01:11 PM   #278
Regular Crew

OK, I check my documentation and found out the my HD is 7200rpm. I have never able to successfully capture video without this problem. I am not feeding out to a monitor, so that's not the problem. Scandisk said there are no errors (both quick scan and surface scan). I am really at a loss here. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
-SL
Old October 13th, 2002, 03:21 PM   #279
Regular Crew

what version of Windows are you running.

I could suggest a couple things if you are running WIn2000
Old October 13th, 2002, 06:56 PM   #280
Regular Crew

Hey guys,

Thanks SO much for all of your help, input, and suggestions, but believe it or not, I discovered the answer to my dilemma! You know its amazing what you can find when you actually do some research on a problem! HA! The Adobe web site suggested that I activate DMA on my IDE chain. That has seemed to work so far, captured almost an hour's worth of video without 1 dropped frame! woo! hoo! I have to admit Adobe's web site suprised me, their online support pages are very good. I think that is the first time I have actually went to a company's web site for help, and they had a solution that actually worked! Regardless thanks again for the help! I am sure I will have more problems\questions in the near future!

-SL
Old October 15th, 2002, 07:04 AM   #281
Inner Circle

Premiere Upgrade 5.1 to 6.5?

Hey folks,

My primary editing system is AvidXpress DV, but I just acquired and old system from a buddy that has Premiere 5.1 on it. Can i do the upgrade to 6.5 for the $150 upgrade pack? Anyone do this yet?

Not in the studio right now, but I think it's an old Pentium 2. I might throw in another media drive, just want to know if I will be throwing good money after bad. My son wants to take it away to school.

Bill
Old October 15th, 2002, 04:45 PM   #282
Regular Crew

I'm pretty sure you can upgrade straight from 5.1 to 6.5 but you will need the 5.1 license to do the upgrade.

And i don't think a pentium 2 will be powerful enough.
Old October 16th, 2002, 12:48 PM   #283
RED Code Chef

Whether or not it's powerful enough depends on what you do. I
have it running on a Celeron with not too much troubles. Don't
try to do too many wild things though....

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old October 16th, 2002, 07:33 PM   #284
Regular Crew

If Rob says it could work then I believe him.

But I don't consider what I do very wild stuff and thinking about trying this stuff on a P2 makes me cringe a little seeing how hard my P4 works.
Old October 17th, 2002, 12:50 AM   #285
snafu005

Premiere capture problem

OK.. this doesnt make sense to me...

through my XL-1's viewfinde and on tv (hooked to the XL-1), the movie looks fine but when i go to capture the footage into premiere, in the movie capture screen i see the corners of my wideangle lens..................... as well as a solid black line at the bottom of the screen?

is there something I can do to fix this?

TIA

Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite