MA-100 XLR audio adapter questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old September 15th, 2001, 02:51 AM   #1
micsanzo

Is the MA 100 ok with the xl1s?

I own a canon xl1 and I'm "looking for" the xl1s. Is the MA 100 suitable with the xl1s or it's necessary to buy the MA 200?
Thank you very much,
Mic
Old September 15th, 2001, 09:47 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Hello Mic,

Check out the page on the Watchdog called "XL1S Skinny." There you will find that *all* XL1 accessories are fully compatible with the XL1S (including the MA100). Likewise, all the new XL1S accessories (lenses, MA200, etc.) are fully compatible with the XL1. Hope this helps!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2001, 10:26 AM   #3
micsanzo

Thanks a lot Chris!

First of all: compliments for your site!
It's a very much good style.
I have learned lots of things on it.
I'm an independent filmmaker (mainly author and director and less camera operator - I can see that I am very ignorant about video technical questions.
Usually I follow my sensitivity when I have to built a frame, and I don't stop to do it till I see in the viefinder the image that I was looking for.
But as i'm a "video ignorant" man, I need to look for hints and tips everywhere is possible to get them seriously, and your site has been always of VERY GREAT support! Never boring. Thank you very much! :)
And yes, I see that there is an article about the compatibility of accessories of both cameras, as well.
That makes more confortable selling the xl1 and to go for the xl1 s.
Thank you again Chris... and I'm sure that I will post some messages here while shooting my movie, to ask for help, ehehe... Of course yes.
Have a good working,
Mic
Old September 20th, 2001, 12:42 PM   #4
MTC FILMS

Yes

Mic
All the XL1 stuff can be uses on the XL1s and the same the other way around.
Old September 20th, 2001, 05:18 PM   #5
micsanzo

Thank you very much Mark!
I have some accessories (ma100 + a good matt boxh with the xl1's ring adaptor, as well)... So, now, I feel not frustrated for that.
I'm going to take and read many informations about the new xl1s, before buyin it.. I'm trying to find out if somebody has already used it and if has discovered a bug? I hope not.
I need the xl1s to make a movie, a long one, so... I am a little scared to buy it without having some reports from those that have already tested it.
Anyway I have to say that the new features on that camera are very "appetitive"... I "feel" that in the end I will buy it, even if I'm sorry for the no anmorphic lens by Optex and other factories for the xl1/xl1s.
We'll see.
Thank you again,
Bye soon,
Mic
Old September 20th, 2001, 05:24 PM   #6
MTC FILMS

I have a XL1s

I had the XL1 and sold it to get the XL1s. I love the cam and its much better than the XL1
Old September 20th, 2001, 05:31 PM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

Mic,

There is no anamorphic adapter *yet* but don't give up hope -- the last time I talked to Century Precision, they said they might still make one. Also possibly Optex.

I haven't heard anything bad about the XL1S. Personally I've never used one, but everyone who has an XL1S seems to be very happy with it so far.

Old September 20th, 2001, 05:57 PM   #8
micsanzo

Thank you Chris... Thank you Mark!
I trust you...
And yes, I'm sure that the new features and the improvements on the camera are substantial. I think that many filmmakers will enjoy them very much.
And yes, I'm convincing myself to buy one as soon as possible, may be in one or two weeks.
If no anamorphic lens will be available I will shoot it in 4:3, using the two withe horizontal lines for the 16:9... I know that it is a true compromise, but I can live with it (with my next long movie)... because I think that the xl1s will allow me to "set" my frames accoringly to my aesthetic needs. In the meanwhile an anmorphic lens for the xl1s will come out, otherwise e, all together, will built one for it, ahaha! Joking...

PS. Just two different lines...
Thank you to all you americans, wonderful people, from who I am learning a lot about some technical stuffs, about video...
I feel to be near USA in this dramatic moment.
I know that many people in Europe are not always as appreciative to the USA as USA would deserve it very much, because all the good things taht USA have done for Italy and for the world, but be sure that on the other hand many many people here in Italy and in Europe are totally fond of you and the whole USA, and this is the majority!
I have never been in USA, but some of my hearth is there, for many reason, and my grandfather was there and there died, he never returned to Italy.
So... something so close to me is there, and something of myself is there as well.
I apologize for this different lines (no "video" in them, ehehe), but I felt to write them to you, at this time.
As I use to visit many american sites about video and other stuffs, and I have learned a lot, and I have to recognize it.

By soon,
Mic
Old September 20th, 2001, 06:07 PM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

Mic,

Thanks for your kind comments...

The best thing about doing the Watchdog website and running this message board, is hearing from people from all over the world. I was born and raised in the middle of America, and have never really travelled around the world like I've always wanted to.

The internet has been amazing for me because of the power to connect with people in other countries in many places that I have always wanted to visit. Someday I hope to see Italy and the rest of Europe, hopefully Australia and the Pacific... even if that never happens, I'll always remember these years, when it is so easy to communicate with people like you, from across an incredible distance.

I think about this every day, and I'm still amazed! Thanks,

Old November 6th, 2001, 01:49 PM   #10
DikranYacoubian

MA-100 XLR audio adapter questions

MA-100 trouble

I'm using an XL1 and just recently added the MA100 XLR adapter.

I also bought an Azden 500udr wireless receiver and transmitter as well as an Azden SGM-2X shotgun mike, and a Sony ECM55b Lavalier mike.

My trouble is this: when I plug either mike directly into the camera, or run them through the wireless setup with an XLR plugon adapter, I get VERY little audio -- like somewhere in the -40 to -35 range on the VU meter. However, if I run any of the mikes through a powered mixer, I can crank the volume through the roof.

Canon says that the MA100 requires 600omh input. The SGM-2X and the Azden 500udr are both above this level. Any idea as to what is wrong? -- its really a pain in the neck to have to carry a portable mixer to make the wireless mikes work.

Thanks,

Dikran
Old November 6th, 2001, 02:40 PM   #11
pjssssss

This may be obvious but check your audio settings. It sounds like your audio 1/mic may be set to attenuate when maybe you need mic selected. Have you tried both automatic and manual settings?
Old November 8th, 2001, 03:12 PM   #12
DikranYacoubian

No, thats set to audio 1, not att. And the adapter is plugged into the poper set of RCA jacks. I've tried AGC, manual, 16 bit stereo, 12 bit stereo 1-4 -- everything I could think of.

DY
Old November 8th, 2001, 03:54 PM   #13
Wrangler

Hmmm. What level settings are you using for Audio 1 Input from the menu? Reading the posts it sounds like you may have set the switch next to the level controls to Audio 1, but not set the Audio 1 In menu setting for MIC ATT (or perhaps MIC), and it may default to Line level.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2001, 06:30 AM   #14
New Boot

You might also check that your ma-100 has its power plug connected , as it requires this to work. I only mention this as i sat for an hr once wondering why i had no audio.
Ian Austen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2001, 06:43 PM   #15
DIGIXLDV

Beachtek xlr !Is it really necessary?

Hi dear fellow videographers!

I have a question about the beachtek/studio1 XLR box.Is it really necessary to have one.Since the XL1 has manual audio controls,is not enough just to buy a XLR to mini-jack adapter(so you can plug a professional shotgun mic)for really cheap and use the xl1 audio controls?The beachtek doesn't have VU anyway right?You will still have to use the camera's VU or buy a mixer ,so what's the advantage of have a beachtek?

Thanks for the help folks!!

Adam

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog