MA-100 XLR audio adapter questions - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old June 11th, 2002, 09:41 PM   #76
kasteede

Thanks Chris,

I tried the SP7 at the WEVA Expo last August and although its a nice accessory, I don't think its for me

The style of shooting I do, requires equipment that can be set up and packed up quickly (eg between the wedding ceremony and the cocktail hour) I like the fact that I can fit the XL1 in my camera bag with the MA-100 and wireless receiver attached. I would have to desemble the SP7 before trasporting between venues and this would waste valuable time.

It also never quite felt comfortable to me, although a mate of mine liked the way it felt.
Old June 14th, 2002, 02:34 AM   #77
Regular Crew

My MA-100 has a noise problem. This is not uncommon from what I gather. I've spoken with several other XL1 owners around the bay area whom have had similar issues with their MA-100s.
A local pro audio place I spoke with said that it may be a grounding problem and a simple fix may be to construct a ground out of two alligator clips and a piece of wire. Run a clip from the MA-100 and the other to a grounded source and it should take away the noise.

BTW- It has also happened with my Beachtek once in awhile.
Ford Minton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2002, 06:20 AM   #78
Regular Crew

I'm not a "mic" guy, but it's a ElectroVoice n/d 257B dynamic cardioid. XLR mic to MA100. That's it. I'm guessing that maybe it's just low output, but maybe I'm wrong.
Old June 14th, 2002, 04:38 PM   #79
Wrangler

The MA-100 should be rather quiet. If you are getting high noise, there may be a problem somewhere in the system, perhaps an open ground.

Assuming that the N/D 257 is similar to the N/D 257 ther shoudl be adequate output if the talent is close miked (within a foot or two).
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2002, 11:55 AM   #80
Mr.Cisco

MA-100 question

I have a question regarding the MA-100. There are two XLR inputs and I assumed that I could go from the XLR out on my wireless receiver into one of the XLR inputs and from the XLR out on my shotgun to the other input. Is this possible? If not what do I do? Do I have to go XLR out on the shotgun to the Audio 2 jacks?
Old June 19th, 2002, 02:04 PM   #81
Wrangler

Yes. you can. However, you would do well to have the two sources at about the same level, especailly if feeding it to the Audio 1 input. This minimizes possible issues with level balance between the cahnnels.
Old June 20th, 2002, 07:59 AM   #82
Boss Hog

Mr C.

If you are using an XL1s, you may want to set the "Rec Level"switch to "M" or manual so the camera's AGC is not bringing up a channel that may have its mic turned off.

Your technique is very common. Use the shotgun for Nat. sound and backup audio in case the wireless fails while using the wireless for the Talant's dialoge.

Note: the MA-100 does not provide Phantom power for mics so your shotgun will need to have a battery option (ie: A-T 835b)

Cheers.
Old July 10th, 2002, 11:40 PM   #83
Regular Crew

MA100 audio noise

I have a MA100 and it is very quiet, I have used it with ev mics and the Sure SM58, and both were quiet. On "low" output mics, you need to add a Mic pre-amp to compensate, rather than crank up the gain in the XL (which will cause noise.) also turn off the auto level control and set level manually. Keep peaks below "0".
aholston
Old July 11th, 2002, 03:28 PM   #84
graphiouz

hi
one little question on the side,. do you need the 'sennheiser k6' to run the 'sennheiser ME66 or can MA-100 take care of it?
sorry for this newbee question,.
i need to investigate before i buy both Camera and things to go with it,.:)

tHx
Old July 11th, 2002, 05:21 PM   #85
Wrangler

You do need the K6 to power the ME66 element for use with the MA-100. The K6 allows the use of battery or phantom power.

The K6P requires phantom power and is not suitable for use with the MA-100 unless you have a source of pahtompower.
Old July 11th, 2002, 08:57 PM   #86
Regular Crew

The K6 is the best way to go. Allowing you to use battery power when in the field and using on camera, or phantom power when you have it available. aholston
Old July 12th, 2002, 04:53 AM   #87
graphiouz

ok thanks guys.

this is a great forum!
Old July 21st, 2002, 01:29 PM   #88
Wrangler

What circuitry, if any, is inside the MA-100 (or 200, for that matter)? Do actually supply a balanced line conversion, or do they simply convert the connectors for convenience?
Old July 21st, 2002, 01:53 PM   #89
Obstreperous Rex

Unbalanced. Don might know something about what else is going on inside.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2002, 03:06 PM   #90
Wrangler

What circuitry, if any, is inside the MA-100 (or 200, for that matter)? Do actually supply a balanced line conversion, or do they simply convert the connectors for convenience?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog