MA-100 XLR audio adapter questions - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old January 14th, 2002, 05:05 AM   #46
Regular Crew

I work with the Sennheiser comination and it works quite good. But I only use it for interviews. For all the rest the Canon mic is enough.

Just a comment on the windscreen: Check out
www.vas-online.de

They have a simple windscreen for XL-1 that costs around 40 € and works great.

Markus
Markus Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2002, 09:56 AM   #47
Major Player

For specific XL-1 issues, it's hard to find a better place than right here. However, there is a lot of pretty good general information regarding audio, mics, etc. on the DV Magazine forums. The Audio Solutions forum is moderated by Jay Rose, who also writes the audio column for the rag.

Check: http://www.dv.com/db_area/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi

Vic
Vic Owen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2002, 10:51 PM   #48
vuduproman

How do I install a onboard monitor to XL1s with and MA-100 external microphone setup?

I just ordered an onboard video monitor and it looks as if it uses the same Yellow, White and Red cords that the MA-100 I have uses. How can I get both to work together?
Old January 21st, 2002, 12:51 AM   #49
Obstreperous Rex

You probably don't need to feed audio to an onboard video monitor, so if I were you, I wouldn't connect the audio cables. If you really want to, then connect them to the jacks on the back of the camera, and plug the MA-100 audio cables into the second set of RCA jacks on the right side rear of the camera handle.

There's no yellow video cable on the MA-100. There is on the MA-200, though. You'll have to decide if you want to cable to your monitor from the back of the MA-200 or the back of the camera; it's up to you. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2002, 01:34 AM   #50
Major Player

The only reason you might want to connect audio cables into the LCD monitor is to listen to audio on its crummy little speaker while in playback. Otherwise, stay on the headphones and don't use the LCD audio feature--save the jacks for your MA-100.

BTW, it would have been nice if Canon had made the MA-100 cords removable so it wasn't necessary for everything to be hooked up when all you needed was a better shoulder mount.

Vic
Vic Owen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2002, 09:16 AM   #51
vuduproman

Thanks

Thanks alot for the help! I did mean the colored inputs on the XL1s not the MA-100 - That's what I get for trying to type on 4 hours sleep!
Old February 9th, 2002, 06:02 AM   #52
Wrangler

Gents:

I am planning to build a custom base/back for my XL1 that will, as well as distribute power and video in various ways, also provide 4 XLR jacks for input a la the MA200. I have been reading your posts here and want to ask for advice on this.

My intention was to provide balanced audio inputs so that an external mixer or long mike cord could be used, but also allow for wireless mikes to be mounted directly to the camera in other circumstances. In other words, multiple uses including mike and line at various lengths.

It sounds like the Beachtek units have the correct circuitry to do all this, and more versatility than the MA200. My intention is to rehouse the innards of two Beachteks into my new custom housing.

Any thoughts, suggestions, red flags anyone can think of?

Thank you in advance!
Old February 9th, 2002, 08:51 AM   #53
Wrangler

Since you plan to pitch the Beachtek box and only use the innards, you may find it lower cost to buy good audio transformers, pots, switches, and XLR connectors and not pay for the Beachtek packaging and profit.

OK as long as the time you spend doing it does not represent a cost to you since even at a measly $10/hour, you will probably spend far more time than the cost of a MA-200, or a pair of Beachteks or Studio Ones doing this project.

Note many folks feel that the Studio One is better than the Beacktek. (But I have no personal experience with both to make a judgement.)
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2002, 11:02 AM   #54
Major Player

DPalomaki,

I currently have an MA100 on my XL-1 and I've been using a BeachTek unit with my Sony TRV900. I now have an XL-1s and I'm thinking of buying an MA200. The only advantage I see to the 200 over the 100 is a video output and an extra set of XLRs. I think the 200, like the 100, comes with the plate to attach the dual battery charger. I'll be using both XL-1 cameras in a two camera shoot, fed from the same mixer.

There's a question somewhere in here somewhere. I was planning on using the BeachTek in lieu of the MA200 and I'm still wondering if the MA200 worth the expense. The BeachTek has dual pots and a stereo/mono toggle as well as a mic/line switch. But the dual battery holder of the MA200 is a big plus and I'm not sure it can be rigged some other way.

Any thoughts on the issue? (Sorry for the verbiage of the question.)
Old February 10th, 2002, 11:01 AM   #55
Wrangler

The MA-200 also offer some additional adjustment for the shoulder pad portion.

If you do not neet the second pair of XLR inputs on the MA-200, consider a MA-100, cheaper thatn a Beachtek and you have the mounting plate and shoulder rest. You could use the Beachtek with the MA-100 if/when you need four XLR inputs.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2002, 10:10 AM   #56
Wrangler

I am trying to understand the various differences between the Beachtek and the Studio 1 XLRPRO. It appears that the Studio 1 product comes more recommended, but it outputs a stereo miniplug (mike level) where the Beachtek outputs dual RCA's (line level). So really they are not doing exactly the same thing...

I am also trying to understand how the MA 200 connects to the XL1s; does it output two sets of RCA's, for the Line 1 and Line 2 connectors (on the back and on the handle) or does it also output a miniplug for the mike connection?

Still trying to build a unit that does the job of the MA200 better and with more versatility...
Old February 12th, 2002, 11:03 AM   #57
Major Player

MA200 Connections

The MA200 has two cables with RCA connectors hardwired to the XLR Audio1-In jacks on the adapter . These can be plugged into either Audio1 or 2 jacks on the XL1. It also has two RCA jacks that are internally connected to the XLR Audio2-In jacks on the MA200. Included with the MA200 is a short cable for connecting these Audio2 RCA jacks to either Audio 1 or 2 RCA jacks on the XL1. I hope that isn't too confusing.

I believe that only Mic levels are available as output from the MA200 as well as the Beachtek units. The problem with inputting line levels to the MA200 was discussed earlier in this thread. Don't do it!

The Beachtek units can accept either line or mic levels, but output to the camera is mic level even though it might have RCA plugs. I could be wrong about that, but I contacted Beachtek to see if my DXA-4S, which is the Sony TRV model, could be used with the XL1 and they said that internally it was the same as the unit designed for the XL1. It could be connected to the mic input with supplied mini plug or by using a mini plug/RCA adapter, connected to Audio 1 or 2.

Last edited by Ed Frazier; February 13th, 2002 at 07:30 AM.
Ed Frazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2002, 11:13 AM   #58
Major Player

<<or does it also output a miniplug for the mike connection? >>

There is no miniplug on the MA200 for connecting to the mic input although with adapters it could be done. The miniplug that you may have seen in pictures of the MA200 is for DC power. The MA200 must be connected to the DC port on the back of the XL1 or it will not work.
Old March 8th, 2002, 02:03 PM   #59
New Boot

MA-100 & AKG mic.

Hello,

I'm having problems using an AKG C-2000 B condenser mic. with the MA-100 adaptor.

Is the DC plug on the adaptor for the so called "phantom power" some mic's require? Even if it is, this mic. still does not work. If I plug in a cheaper mic. that does not require "pp" it seems to work fine but quality is not there.

Hope someone might have encountered same issue and can help me.

Thanks!
Joji Minatogawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2002, 05:06 PM   #60
Major Player

The small cord on the MA-100 is to power only the MA-100 -- it has active electronics in it. There are no conditions under which the MA-100 will supply phantom power to an external mike. I use either a Mackie mixer, or a phantom power box for that purpose, depending on the need.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog