MA-100 XLR audio adapter questions - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old February 5th, 2003, 01:03 AM   #121
New Boot

Many thanks for the prompt reply. I think I have had the switches set correctly, I'll try again, the microphone (battery-powered) does give a signal direct to a mixer, but when I connect to the mixer through the MA100 (powered from the camera - a cluttered desktop) I get nothing. Odd, and a nuisance!
Roddy Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2003, 05:23 AM   #122
Wrangler

On simple (if not obvious) things. The Audio 1 input sensitivity is selected from the menu. It defaults to line level from the factory. Also, the MA-100 connects to the input jacks at the back of the handle by the MA-100's power jack, (The Audio 2 RCA jacks in the side of the handle are used for 12-bit/4-channel input mode.)

For other who might consider it, Nothing user-serviceable or ajdustable inside the MA-100.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2003, 01:49 PM   #123
Regular Crew

Thanks Don,
I need to do a little experimenting. Thanks for the advice.
Kelly Hoggard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2003, 11:32 AM   #124
Major Player

MA-100 or MA-200?

It should speak for itself, do I need 4 channels XLR sound inputs or will 2 suffice? But apart from this, is there another reason to choose the 200 over the 100? I'll be doing 1- or 2-person reportages with a lav and the on-camera mike sound, I guess the 100 will do...

Thanks!

Dan.
Old April 1st, 2003, 01:24 PM   #125
Major Player

If you use all four on the MA200 you can record 2 mics at 16bit or record on 4 mics but only in 12bit on all 4 channels. Where as with MA100 you have only 2 channels so you can record two mics at 16bit. So If you are only just going to use 2 mics at 16bit then MA100 should suffice.

However I use the MA200 so I can have two main mics to camera for 16bit. And two other 'supporting' mics to minidisc so I can add them later in post if I need to add a bit more oomph to soundtrack, so that way I still keep 16bit. But some here have said they use 4 mics on 12bit and find it OK. Guess it depends on the quality of your sound source mics to how well or how bad this sounds. The MA200 does cost a bit more...but I thought it gives me the option if I ever need to run 4 mics. If I don't well at least the option is there.
Christopher Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2003, 08:22 AM   #126
Major Player

... plus the MA-200 has a better shoulder rest ...
Mark Argerake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2003, 10:21 AM   #127
Major Player

XL1S, MA-100, External and on-board mic problem

I'm sorry to start another thread about setting up this kind of set-up but I've read through them, read pages 51-53 of the manual many times and am still having a problem.

Here goes.

I have the MA-100 installed and connected to it is a powered sound mixer box which has a Sennheiser MKH416 attached to it.

I connect it to the two connectors on the MA-100 and we're off and running.

VCR settings are set to 12 1, 2. Each AUDIO is set to MIC.

If the switch is set to AUDIO 1, I can hear through the Senn no problems and it's fine. (Audio Monitor set to Stereo 1)

If the switch is set to Mic or ATT then I can hear through the on-board canon mic fine. (audio monitor - stereo 1)

In either case I hear nothing on Stereo 2 when I change the monitor to it or have it be the split audio monitor.

I've tried every variation on this I can think of and I'm totally and absolutely stumped.

I've got a shoot tonight that in some ways it won't matter that much but I'd love to have both going for one part of the shoot.

I'm sure I missed something but even after searching and reading everything I could I can't find it.

Again, sorry to open a new thread on this but I'm totally stumped.

Help me, Obi Wan Kanobi... you are my only hope.

thanks in advance.
Kevin Burnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2003, 11:02 AM   #128
Wrangler

Sounds like you have most of it right. From the menu mode have you set the it to 12 bit audio and the audio source to Audio 2?

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2003, 11:07 AM   #129
Major Player

-----
From the menu mode have you set the it to 12 bit audio and the audio source to Audio 2?
-------

In the menu screen under VCR set-up.

Audio Mode is set to 12 st 1, 2

Under that there are two selections:

Audio 1 : ---- (lined out if audio one switch is set to MIC or ATT)

Audio 2: which is set to Mic -- BUT I've tried it set to line and Mic ATT and both have the same results.

Are you talking about another setting?
Old April 12th, 2003, 05:52 AM   #130
Wrangler

Are the audio ouput plugs (RCA) of the MA100 plugged into the Audio 2 jacks on the side of the handle?
Old April 12th, 2003, 09:55 AM   #131
Major Player

-------
Are the audio ouput plugs (RCA) of the MA100 plugged into the Audio 2 jacks on the side of the handle?
--------

Yes, and when I get signal from the XLR mic I get both channels and perfect sound.
Old April 13th, 2003, 05:55 AM   #132
Wrangler

Hmmmm. Cannot quit visualize your full setup. Could you repeat it is greater detaiil as to what is connected where, and the various switch and menu settings. Esp. what iws connected to audio 2, what is connected to audio 1, to the mic hack, and to the MA100.
Old April 13th, 2003, 09:31 AM   #133
Major Player

Okay.

Equipment:

Camera:
XL1S.
Canon on board stereo microphone plugged into regular mini-jack

MA-100 installed. Jacks are plugged into RCA jacks on handle and third connector is plugged in.

External Microphone:
powered sound mixer box which has a Sennheiser MKH416 attached to it. Left and right XLR mic outputs from box

---------------------

Setup

I have not changed anything about how the Canon Mic which comes with all XL1S's. It is plugged into the mini-jacks.

The Sennheiser outputs are plugged into the 2 XLR jacks on the MA-100.

Menu Setup

Under VCR SET-UP

AUDIO MODE: 12 bit ST 1, 2

AUDIO 1 IN: MIC
AUDIO 2 IN: MIC

----------------

As I said above if the AUDIO 1 switch is set to AUDIO 1, I can hear through the Sennheiser microphone with no problems (both left and right channels) and it's perfect sound. This shows that the MA-100 and the Senn mic set-up are working fine (Audio Monitor set to Stereo 1)

If the switch is set to Mic or ATT then I can hear through the on-board canon mic fine. (audio monitor - stereo 1)

In either case I hear nothing on Audio 2 when I change the monitor to Stereo 2 or have it be the Split Audio monitor.

I have tried all variations in the AUDIO 2 menu options (mic, Mic-ATT, Line) and get the same results.

I think that covers it all.
Old April 13th, 2003, 02:56 PM   #134
Major Player

I'm not sure I understand you that wel about your set up. But on the menu for Stereo 2 - mic, att mic, line - they are to set for the input and relevant settings for those types of inputs, ie, LINE is different from Mic. But mic is just to say that the source is a mic - NOT to set it to onboard mic.

Are you using onboard mic in Stereo 1 and then externals on Stereo 2 ? Cos correct if I'm wrong but that is the only set up. If you try the other way round I dont think it will work cos the 3.5 jack is just Stereo 1 only (I believe). Just selecting Mic for stereo 2 on menu doesnt mean onboard mic, just A mic source.
Christopher Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2003, 04:00 PM   #135
Major Player

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand you that wel about your set up. But on the menu for Stereo 2 - mic, att mic, line - they are to set for the input and relevant settings for those types of inputs, ie, LINE is different from Mic. But mic is just to say that the source is a mic - NOT to set it to onboard mic.

Are you using onboard mic in Stereo 1 and then externals on Stereo 2 ? Cos correct if I'm wrong but that is the only set up. If you try the other way round I dont think it will work cos the 3.5 jack is just Stereo 1 only (I believe). Just selecting Mic for stereo 2 on menu doesnt mean onboard mic, just A mic source.

Okay.

What I want is to have sound being recorded from the on-board Canon Microphone plugged into the mini-jacks.

Okay?

I also want to have sound recorded (at the same time) from the Sennheiser Microphone that I have plugged into the MA-100 which is plugging into the Audio 2 RCA jacks on the back of the handle.

Okay?

I am not trying to get the onboard mic to record on any other channel but Stereo 1.

I want the external mic to record on Stereo 2.

I want to have the camera record the 4 channel stereo set-up just like in the XL1S manual pages 51-53.

What is wrong is that I am not getting any sound throughput on Audio 2 despite the Audio 2 settings being EXACTLY as they are saying in the manual.

In the manuals they say that you should set the setting for Audio 2 to MIC if you are having the audio 2 input coming from a device such as the MA-100 or MA-200.
Kevin Burnfield is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog