MA-100 XLR audio adapter questions - Page 11 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old April 22nd, 2003, 08:17 AM   #151
Major Player

Sound quality using Xl1s

Don't get me wrong, I love this camera and use it a lot.

But there are of course at least some objective standards when it comes to sound and measuring audio performance.

Read what Jay Rose has to say about the audio performance of the Xl1 compared to a range of other cameras and formats in "Producing Great Sound for Digital Video 2nd edition pp175 ff.

Rob Castiglione
Robert Castiglione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2003, 09:47 AM   #152
Warden

The sound capabilities of the camera are fine for ENG and similar type work. But for the highest quality recording audio should be recorded to DAT. Audio is not great on any of the cameras in this price range. Audio capabilities will meet some peoples needs, but others should search out alternatives within their budgets (DAT, Mini Disc etc.).

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2003, 05:05 PM   #153
Wrangler

The MA-100 contains an electronic (i.e., no transformers) balanced-to-unbalanced converter that is based on operational amplifiers. The 5 VDC powers the circuits.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2003, 08:56 PM   #154
Major Player

Don's comments about line levels are right on. Even with an attenuator, it can be tricky. Early-on, I tried feeding a low level signal from my Mackie to the MA-100 -- I screwed up more than one recording. It goes into hard limit amazingly easy. Once I switched to the Beachtek for line-level stuff, the problems went away.

As with most stuff, there a few devices that do everything well. Stick to mics only with the MA-100.
Old April 22nd, 2003, 09:29 PM   #155

xl1s levels

I have found the on-board mic (xl1s does a very nice job in most ENG situations, and it has some limits related to dramatic scenes. What I'd like to do is find an extension cable for the on-board mic so it can be used as a short boom or stick mic for interviews,
Old April 22nd, 2003, 10:53 PM   #156
New Boot

Thank you everyone, that's the info I was looking for!

Regards,

-Steve Vandergriff
Steve Vandergriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2003, 02:05 AM   #157
Regular Crew

MA-100 / MA-200 Line input

I am not an audio expert and do not know how this worked out but it did. I shot a live stage performance for a performer's personal viewing purposes where the audio was the most critical part as described by the client. They said make sure the audio is clean. Well, I set up near the audio engineers and took a feed from their mix and went into my XL with an XLR Y-adapter into the MA-200 and the audio was perfect. I made sure to ride the levels the whole time. At first during sound checks, the audio was distorted but after toggling through the menu selections it became clean. I hate to admit this but I cannot remember which setting I finally used. I do remember that what worked didn't make sense. In other words, I first tried what made sense, the line selection, and that's what was distorted. So, it was either the mic att20 or the mic setting. The fact is that it worked and the audio was clean.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2003, 02:07 AM   #158
Regular Crew

MA-100 / MA-200 Line input

I am not an audio expert and do not know how this worked out but it did. I shot a live stage performance for a performer's personal viewing purposes where the audio was the most critical part as described by the client. They said make sure the audio is clean. Well, I set up near the audio engineers and took a feed from their mix and went into my XL with an XLR Y-adapter into the MA-200 and the audio was perfect. I made sure to ride the levels the whole time. At first during sound checks, the audio was distorted but after toggling through the menu selections it became clean. I hate to admit this but I cannot remember which setting I finally used. I do remember that what worked didn't make sense. In other words, I first tried what made sense, the line selection, and that's what was distorted. So, it was either the mic att20 or the mic setting. The fact is that it worked and the audio was clean.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2003, 01:30 PM   #159
Slash Rules!

Ma 100 or jack problem?

I tried use my ME66 with the MA100 yesterday, and could not get any sound on the XL1s's VU meters. New batteries, everything plugged in and hooked up correctly. I finally discovered today that the little cord on the MA100 (the power supply, I believe?) is not connecting with its corresponding jack on the back of the XL1s for some reason. Even when all the way in, dead silence. I jiggled it and pushed it, and finally got something, but it was very static-y, though you could hear the actual sound the mic was recording as well. What can I do? Please don't tell me to send anything to anywhere. I'll just cry.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2003, 07:20 PM   #160
Wrangler

The small plug provides +5 VDC for tha MA100. It MUST be connectd to the corrsponding jack at the back of the camcorder. Also, the audio leads from the MA100 MUST be conencted to the Camera body. If they are not connected, the MA100 does not receive power because the earth return for power is via the audio ground (not the power cord).

Assuming you are using 16-bit audio mode, the MIC/Audio 1 switch behind the door should be set to Audio 1, and the Audio 1 input level on themenu menu should be set for MIC ATT or MIC level.
Old April 24th, 2003, 07:48 PM   #161
Slash Rules!

Yes, and after all that, still no signal.
Old April 25th, 2003, 04:17 AM   #162
Wrangler

OK. The most common issues are checked.

Have you tested the Audio 1 input onthe camcorder with a differnt source? perhaps connect the mic directly to the left and then the right auido 1 input using a simple XLR-to RCA adapter? That will test the camcorder inputs.

If the camera inputs are OK, it most likely is the MA-100. The crackling static you mentioned often indictes a bad or unreliable connection somewhere, possibly in the power plug. That could be damaged over time and extensive use. I've seen bad cable connections in the past, even among the so called "premium" brands.
Old April 28th, 2003, 12:53 AM   #163
Slash Rules!

Could I get an XLR to RCA adapter and plug it in somewhere, and use that to run my Sennheiser? How would I do this?
Old April 28th, 2003, 03:30 AM   #164
Wrangler

You can find low cost (not balanced, no transformer) XLR adapters at Radio Shack. They cost onthe order of $7. Mic cable goes into one end, the other to the Audio 1 input.

Note that the transformer type at Radio Shack provide low-to-high impedance matching, and will not work well with the XL1 at MIC input levels because the XL1 MIC-level inputs are low impedance..
Old April 28th, 2003, 05:49 AM   #165
Tourist

only a battery operated mic with MA 100?

hello,

I have two questions concerning the MA 100 and the canon XL-1....

The first question is ....Can I only use a battery operated microphone with the MA-100?

I am looking at the Sennheiser
ME 66K6 Super-Cardioid Short Shotgun Condenser Microphone Capsule with K6 (Battery/Phantom) Power Supply....do I need the power supply to use this mic with the MA 100? Do I need a mic with phantom power to use the beechtek adapter as well?
any suggetion would be helpful....thanks.

Tim
Tim Wood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog