MA-100 XLR audio adapter questions - Page 13 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old June 19th, 2003, 06:19 PM   #181
Wrangler

Many people mix/pan the single channel in post using their NLE or sound editing program.
Old June 20th, 2003, 08:44 AM   #182
New Boot

Mix pan?

So if you mix pan your just "recreating" the sense of stereo?

For example...the stock mic that came with the canon XL1s...although it might not have been the best mic...it was stereo...

For example...I tape a car driving by...you could really sense that that car...by the audio was driving by.

So now with mix and pan...you have to re-create that effect on your own??

BUT I also bought the beachTech XLR adaptor...which has the option of stereo OR mono switch...so is it better to record in mono and leave as that...or is better to record on the stereo setting, then mix and pan...if needed.

A few other question, while I am writing...

Audio 2--can seem to get any signial what so ever...is there a menu seeting on the camera?? This is the RCA jack on the handle that say "audio 2"

I just got the sienhiemer evolution 100 wireless mic system and the signal seems a bit quiet...anyone experience that and is there a gain control tha tI might be missing??

Thanks for all your suggestions, I really appreciate it!
Jay Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2003, 07:40 PM   #183
Wrangler

To record from Audio 2 inputs you hve to set the camcorder to 4-channel mode, from the menu.

Recording with one mic is not stereo, (unless you are using a stereo mic). You can pan a single source to the left, center or right to place on the audio image when listened to in stereo. but it is still a mono signal. But them, most recorded music is comprised of a series of mono sources that are mixed/blended to create a stereo production.

If the wireles smic level is very low, check the audio input sensitivity settings. If using Audio 1 input, you may find the level set on LINE level, again, a menu item for the Audio 1 inputs.
Old June 26th, 2003, 11:40 AM   #184
Major Player

yea I had a similar question awhile back with my mono mic and my MA200. Don is absolutley right in that no matter what, if you use a mono mic, it's going to be mono, regardless of whether you hear it in both channels in production or post production.

I find it very annoying to only listen to one channel when recording dialogue, so I went out and bought a Y adapter made by Hosa. Do a search at BH. Works perfectly, and according to people here, using the Y adapter does not in any way degrade the audio. It's the same thing as panning across in post.

Brad Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2003, 07:34 PM   #185
Regular Crew

So, if I go out and buy a true stereo mic how does it hook up to my XL-1. Are there two xlr cables that go into each female connector on the MA-100 on a stereo mic or what? Is a true stereo mic that you buy and put on the XL-1 going to be better than the one the XL-1 comes with?
John Dimasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2003, 09:36 PM   #186
Regular Crew

PA out to MA 100

Was recording a live, got 2 xlr outs from the mixer at the venue. hooked it up on the MA 100, set audio to line, but the sound level was very high. I tried adjusting the level with the mixer, but when they set level normal it would crack and I will have to turn it down on my side, but there is so much noise then. We tried adjusting to the best level, but it ended up having alot of
turns out I set it so low that the sound of it was totally unusable. Should've done some research. XLR and RCA signal different ranges of level...

What do you guys use to lower the level in such situations? Would a MA 200 or a beachtek DXA-6 or pads(what we call in japan) work? I:m looking into other than an expensive mixer.
Can someone tell me what they use?
Thanks,
Takeshi
Takeshi Fukushima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2003, 10:11 PM   #187
Trustee

I can't remember if the ATT (attenuator) setting works on the line in. Give it a try as it will cut the gain by around 20db. The manual says "a" microphone which could mean an external source. If you have the Audio Input setting in the menu as Audio 1 IN set to LINE it might work.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2003, 12:15 AM   #188
Regular Crew

aha,

Adrian,
I do remember fidling around with the menu. looking for something like that.
I was shooting two cams one xl1 and one xl1s. I did use the xl1 for xlr input and xl1s cam-mic. (I didn't know the xl1 too much. thought it would be about the same with xl1s. I am more familiar with the xl1s) I don't have the older xl1 by me now to confirm, but I was not able to get any sound out of att20 or mic. I HAD to set it to 'line' to get any signal. I should've maybe taken the XL1s to input the xlr mixer out. Might've been able to do it that way. I'd have to check. I should have before the shoot. Oh well. I learned the hard way I guess.

etra.
The former XL1 and the newer xl1s has a totally different setup with picture quality as well. I had so much trouble shooting. (only 1 op. me! for 2 cams 20m apart from each other) The range in luminance is totally different. For the xl1, the spotlights where all washed out the black total black. had to set the exposure shift to minus, yet I walk up to the xl1s to see the picture is perfectly capturing the dark graduation to highlights with the same settings. yet again I should've game more time to test things out.
Thanks,
Takeshi

I have not yet editted the piece, but I will have a hard time with the color correcting. I don't know if it's even possible to match them.
Old July 3rd, 2003, 04:30 AM   #189
Wrangler

MA100 is designed for mic level. Line level is too high, can cause clipping when signal reaches about -7 dBV. Best to use an inline attenuator when using the MA100 with line level sources.

Alternatively, use the RCA input and set to line level. Feed it the tape recorder output from the mixer, if there is one.
Old July 3rd, 2003, 04:34 AM   #190
Wrangler

Single point stereo mics like the AT-822 are a bit better sounding than the standard Canon mic, come with the appropraite connector for the mic jack. Another, lower cost model, is the Sony ECM-MS957.

Other stereo mic such as the AT-825 have a pair of XLR connectorws what will work with the MA-100/200.
Old July 6th, 2003, 05:49 PM   #191
Trustee

<<<<What do you guys use to lower the level in such situations? Would a MA 200 or a beachtek DXA-6 or pads(what we call in japan) work? I:m looking into other than an expensive mixer.
Can someone tell me what they use? >>>>

I use the DXA-6 on both XL1 and VX2K.
A great box that provides not only two channels
of phantom, but also has a switch for being able to take a mono
mic/mix and record it to both channels. Beachtek has -50dBu pads,
so when you switch (one or both) channels over to line level, you can
actually tame the +4dBu output of most mixers. The only real issue for
me is that I wish the pad were -30dBu as -50 is too much for -10
line level and WAY too much attenuation for some of the hotter mics
like the Sennheiser ME66-67/K6, which you have to barely crack open
when not using attenuation. Maybe the next generation will have
a selection of attenuation strength.

The sound of the DXA-6 is very good (Jay Rose of DV mag concurs),
and I have nothing but great things to say about Beachtek's
customer service.

Best,
Old July 6th, 2003, 06:56 PM   #192

Pad the signal

I always use a portable field stereo field mixer such as a Shure FP32b between the outs of the house PA and my recording inputs. That way I can insure that I am sending the proper level to my inputs. The built-in limiter of the FP32b also helps to act as a "brick wall" against overload with unexpected high transient peaks in the program audio.

For those times when I cannot go in with my own mixer, I will always make sure I carry a couple of Shure A15AS in-line XLR attenuators. Always a good idea to carry a couple of these if you expect to be dealing with a house sound feed:
http://www.shure.com/accessories/a15...blem%20Solvers

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2003, 08:17 PM   #193
Regular Crew

Audio items.

Thank you Don adn Jacques,

I used to use a Shure 3 ch mixer for ENG work in News(for get the make), That would be a great solution, But as for in an indi-production, I think I will go with DXA-6. Didn't know they have -50dBu pads. I would think I should get those in-line attenuetors as well.

Jacques, that's kinda the discrit\ption I was looking for thanks again.
Takeshi
Old October 2nd, 2003, 09:41 AM   #194
Regular Crew

Ma-100

Okay, called me dopey for asking this, but
I've only used this thing as a shoulder mount
up to this point -

If I take a single line feed out of a house board, and plug it into say, the L XLR port
on the MA-100, I'll ONLY be getting composite
stereo sound (from the board) on the LEFT
channel of my XL-1 right?

SO I would need a Y splitter to have that
composite sound on both L & R correct?

(filming would be fun if it wasn't for
the sound)
Scott Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2003, 09:58 AM   #195
Warden

You need to know more about the House Board. Are they feeding you only one channel or is it a mix (mono)? Is the feed line level, mic level? Will you need to attenuate the board feed?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog