Show Your Work 2004 - Page 39 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old August 31st, 2004, 06:24 AM   #571
RED Code Chef

Looked nice! Did you crop the video before export or not? It looked
liked you wasted some bandwidth by leaving the black bars there.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old August 31st, 2004, 06:28 AM   #572
RED Code Chef

Definitely not my cup of tea. Also the audio was highly distorted,
so you might want to look into optimizing that in the future.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old August 31st, 2004, 06:44 AM   #573
Regular Crew

Hi Rob. You know, I didn't even think about it. I will play around with your suggestion and see what happenes size wise. Thanks again for pointing it out
On second thought, I don't think I can do it because on three ocassions in the video, I have things that spill onto the black bars
Old September 2nd, 2004, 05:02 PM   #574
New Boot

well done
Old September 2nd, 2004, 05:04 PM   #575
New Boot

pizza the movie

It's on DVD now, so go to the site www.pizzathemovie.com, check out the trailer, if you got a few bucks, buy the movie.

Here's one review:
http://www.roguecinema.com/article84.html

It was shot on a Canon XL1s. Edited with Final Cut Pro.
Old September 3rd, 2004, 12:20 PM   #576
Regular Crew

Thinking of submitting for a festival. Could use some input.

I have posted this film before but I recieved 3 responses to it. Now I am thinking of submitting it to a film festival and would like some input from you guys as to what you all think. Any criticism would be great. Thanks again.

http://www.rafalkrolik.com/grapesofwrath.wmv

Mitch
Old September 3rd, 2004, 01:45 PM   #577
Air China Pilot

Lovely imagery in the opening scenes.

Terence Malick fan?

I started to think .. .maybe not .. when we see the scene of the young man throwing away the shotgun. The video audio recording is jarring. I would rather that the music just played all the way through without the on location sound.

But then you return to the imagery.

I prefer it for all of the disconnected shots. I think it has artistic composition. Quite nice.

I really do like it. Submit away.
Old September 3rd, 2004, 04:29 PM   #578
Regular Crew

What type of camera did you use?
Old September 3rd, 2004, 08:46 PM   #579
New Boot

Mitch,

Are you targeting specific festivals here or asking in general? If I remember correctly (this could be way off base, so sorry if I offend) this was done as a high school project. And assuming you are still in high school, I would definetly say to seek out contests specifically designed for your age group. I could see you being very successul in that. If you're talking about entering larger scale festivals (sundance etc.) best of luck to you but unless you have tons of cash I would try to be very specific and pick certain ones you might appeal to. I know when we showed Detonate (a short us par-t-comers made with a DVX) at an international festival, while extremely cool to even be accepted, competing against stuff shot on 35mm is just overwhelming and we had no real shot at winning anything in my opinion.

I'm gonna be submitting a feature I shot last summer over the next month, and just looked at websites for a bunch of fests and picked the two I thought I had a legitamate shot at getting into (slamdance and cleveland film festival, if wondering). Anyway, this is a long response for something that might not even be helpful but that would just be my two cents.

On the other hand, if you have lots of money to "burn" I say go for it, the worse that can happen is you getting denied.

Also, do you have the rights to Grapes of Wrath? Do you need it for an inspired by project? Never done an adaptation as my focus is writing, but you should make sure to check these out before submitting, 'cause that would suck to get accepted and dq'd.
Old September 4th, 2004, 12:48 PM   #580
Regular Crew

Stuff looks pretty funny. Kind of like a Jack Black comedy. Was it actually rated by the MPAA?!
Old September 4th, 2004, 10:38 PM   #581

yup. Donald got a real rating!

I got my DVD a few weeks ago. It's pretty cool.
Old September 4th, 2004, 10:55 PM   #582
Regular Crew

looked like film!!!
Old September 4th, 2004, 11:56 PM   #583
Regular Crew

To those who purchased 4BMOA thank you so much for your support. I hope you guys like it.

-Nate
Old September 7th, 2004, 06:25 AM   #584
Regular Crew

In response to your question Glen, my camera that I used was a Sony TRV87. It is a single CCD camera, but has gone a long ways for myself. Now in response to Jeff, you are correct this was made as a high school class that project. As for festivals, I was planning on some smaller scale ones with cheaper entrance fees. No Sundance in my immediate future. I just want to start out small and hopefully work to a larger project. Right now I am in the process of submitting one to a smaller festival in Boston. So we will see how that goes. Thanks again for the replies.

Mitch
Old September 7th, 2004, 07:28 AM   #585
Major Player

* * BOSTON FILM FESTIVAL / CONEY ISLAND FILM FESTIVAL * *

Greetings fellow filmmakers,

The short HD (transferred to 35mm) "Bert Prentice, CEO", writer/dir by K. Nibley, prod by K. Barry, Platform Productions, will screen this week at the Boston Film Festival.

This provocative piece follows a "day in the life of a corporate brown-noser..."

"Derrick Begin is the nameless, low-rank employee whose job is to literally..." Come to the screening to find out.

BOSTON FILM FESTIVAL
9/10/2004 - Short Pkg 1 7:15,9:00
9/11/2004 - Short Pkg 1 3:00,5:00

http://www.bostonfilmfestival.org

See you there...

A.P.B - - Coney Island Film Festival invites "Bert Prentice CEO" for screening. More to come...
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work