Wide Angle Adapter - Page 13 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old July 24th, 2003, 12:08 AM   #181
Tourist

please advise on wide angle lenses for pd-150

I'm debating between the Sony VCLHG0758 and the Canon WD-58H wide angle lenses for my pd-150 - please advise.
Yaron Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2003, 07:36 AM   #182
Regular Crew

I am not familiar with either of those...

I picked up the Century Optics bayonet version... of which works well for me.
Old July 24th, 2003, 10:39 AM   #183
Wrangler

Please do a search for the term Wide Angle and you will see a lot of discussion about the topic.
Old July 26th, 2003, 10:48 PM   #184
New Boot

please help: VX2000 wide angle lens

Greetings,

I just got a VX2000 and it seems that I need a wide angle lens for the interviews I am planning to shoot. I simply know nothing about these machines and I have several very ignorant questions:

1- Do I absolutely need an adaptor to use a wide angle lens?

2- There are several lenses on ebay for $50-$60 or even less; like Crystal Vision, Digital Optics, Kenko, Opteka, Digital Pro, Titanium, Phoenix etc. Would you recommend any of these?

3- Can I directly attach a filter on a wide angle lens?

4- What do you think about Crystal Vision .5x and Phoenix .65x?

Thank you in advance.
Sukru Ilicak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2003, 11:04 PM   #185
Trustee

You've bought a quality camera with very good optics. Why would you buy a wide angle adapter of lesser quality.

Stick with the Canon WD58, Optex or century WA adapters.

Some people have found the better Kenko and Raynox to be ok, I wouldn't even give the others a thought. (my opinion) even the most reasonable is a fair chunk more than the coke bottle glass that is available on Ebay.

The best overall deal seems to be the canon WD58. Do a search and some more reading, this subject has been very well covered.

The only adapter with a thread that I know of is the optex . The use of filter holders or matte boxes is another subject, but if you're balking art the price of a good quality adapter then a mattebox will give you heart failure.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2003, 11:22 PM   #186
Inner Circle

First of all, search this forum for Tom Hardwick's posts on wide angle adapters. He did a few reviews on such lenses.

>2- There are several lenses on ebay for $50-$60 or even less; l>ike Crystal Vision, Digital Optics, Kenko, Opteka, Digital Pro, >Titanium, Phoenix etc. Would you recommend any of these?

Many people recommend the Canon WD-58H with a hood.
It sells for something between $150 and $200.
While I just started using this lens, I can't say if it's great.
I switched to that lens because some of my video opportunities
needed a wide-angle lens with full zoom through. It's totally
adequate for a subject standing four feet away.

I bought the Raynox HD-6600Pro58. Hey, I'll sell you mine !
It's a sharp lens with front filter threads, but it's not fully- zoom through. I need dynamic
zoom for martial arts footage. However, interviews don't
need that ability.

>3- Can I directly attach a filter on a wide angle lens?

It depends on the lens. My Raynox has front filter threads while the Canon WD58 does not. More layers of glass will cause more
distortion and increase the vignetting effect (dark corners).
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2003, 01:30 AM   #187
Outer Circle

I'm not saying the Kenko Pro (for the VX2000) is the best, but it certainly is a very good wide angle adaptor. In fact, Kenko makes this one for Sony; but the Sony version doesn't have the filter threads up front (though comes with the Sony name). The Kenko Pro is very solid, and does the job; and when you need a protective filter in dirty conditions, it's got that option---unlike some other brands. But personally, I'd re-read what Bryan wrote. He's done a lot of research for his beloved VX2000.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2003, 10:26 AM   #188
New Boot

Thank you very much for your help but...

as I have said I am very ignorant and I need some very basic info: For example, if you search for wd58 in http://www.digitalfotoclub.com you get two options 1-Canon WD-58H 0.75x WideAngle Lens Adapter and 2- Canon WD-58 0.7x Wide Angle

Do I need both to get a wide angle view? If I get the lens only is it going to be useless by itself?

Thank you again,
Old July 27th, 2003, 02:51 PM   #189
Outer Circle

Quote:
Do I need both to get a wide angle view? If I get the lens only is it going to be useless by itself?
Most likely, you will not need a wide angle adaptor. Instead, buy a UV filter and leave it on the cam to keep the lens protected. That's basically all you need. However, for sunny days and where there is lots of glare, like with water (beach, or on the water), a linear or circular polarizer will make your video look much cleaner and fuller. Sometimes, a wide angle adaptor will come in handy, but you can usually live without it.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2003, 03:29 PM   #190

Get the Canon WD-58. It is the same quality (just as good) as the Sony full-zoom through wide angle adaptor but a lot cheaper.

Don't forget about Century Optics
http://www.centuryoptics.com/products/dv/camera/2.htm

My favorite wide-angle adaptor for a 58mm front thread size camera is the Century Optics .55x Reversible
http://www.centuryoptics.com/product..._rev/55xr.htm# While not a full zoom-through, it is still a must-have accessory if you want a lot of wide-angle options in your bag at an affordable price. This is top quality glass.
Screw it on one way and you have a nice wide .55x wide. Zoom in past a certain point and it goes to a total wash of out of focus (can be used as a nice transition effect). Take it off and screw it on the other way and you have a cool fish-eye wide.

I would still get the Canon WD-58 though, in addition to the ,55x Reversible. Remember, it's all about the glass, so use high quality glass! Your "sharp as a tack" images will depend upon that.

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2003, 01:09 PM   #191
Inner Circle

>http://www.digitalfotoclub.com you get two options 1-Canon >WD-58H 0.75x WideAngle Lens Adapter

I own the WD-58H. The H refers to the hood lens hood.
Apparently, Canon only sells the WD-58H as the WD-58 is
discontinued. So, I would guess that's old stock.
Old July 28th, 2003, 01:11 PM   #192
Inner Circle

Here's more. You can get a slightly better price (although I don't
know about shipping) at B&H Photo:

Canon
WD-58H 58mm 0.7x Wide Angle Converter Lens with Lens Hood - for GL-2 DV Camcorder
More Info
Price $ 179.95

I'm using this lens on my Sony VX-2000.
Old July 28th, 2003, 04:56 PM   #193
New Boot

Thank you all very much for your kind help

Thank you all very much for your kind help
Old July 29th, 2003, 09:10 PM   #194
Regular Crew

Based on Frank G's recommendation I bought the Kenko Pro before Christmas last year. I'm happy with the unit. It is a very hefty chunk of glass!

I'm told it's not quite as sharp as the Century, but it's less than half the price, has very little barrel distortion and does have the front threads. It also has a bayonet mount, which makes me a little less aprehensive about cross threading or wearing out the plastic threads on the VX2000.

I've not been able to find a hood for it yet, but I suspect one could be rigged or adapted.
"Before they are gone forever..."
Ralph Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2003, 09:21 PM   #195
Trustee

http://www.cavision.com/LensHood/LH100S.htm

$60 US for the plastic back mount. It has a rubber hood and a 105mm thread for a safety filter. You may need a $5 adapter C ring as well. It's good stuff, I own a shade as well as the bellows matte box. Buy the soft hood for the shade for $10, it protects the lens better than a standard cap.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion