Remote Lens Control on the PDW-EX1 - Page 13 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 14th, 2009, 10:51 PM   #181
Regular Crew

I have been using a Jimmy jib with an EX-3 for 7 months now. Using a Fuji 2/3" HD wide angle lens with ACM-21 adapter.
Have just switched to the new Fuji XS8x4 EX-3 lens and it work beautifully. All I did, was put on the Cavision focus gear ring from other EX-3, over the focus ring on wide lens which is the same diameter as stock lens! Then used the Film servo motor (Extra in Jimmy Jib kit for Film lens) matched up gear set, mounted motor to VF gadgets rail system. (which also makes the EX-3 lens height the same as full size camera, so no riser needed with Prompter). Used my Libec zoom cable adapter connected to Fuji cable from Jib controller and it all worked like a champ.
Very pleased with this new lens, and the price is just right. You'll be a bit taken back opening box though, this thing is a fat beast. Better get a wrist brace for hand held.
Still a very happy customer. Highly recommended.
Jason Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 04:27 PM   #182
New Boot

Ok so the Manfrotto, the bebob and the libec all have one major screw up. All these so called "remote lens controllers" do not control the iris and focus. What gives???

Does anyone know if a proper lens controller exists yet to properly control zoom, iris, focus and remote start/stop for the EX1?

The zoom on the tele commander sucks.!

Also why does the telecommander go to sleep every time the camera is switched off? The problem I have is the camera is burried in a mount and in a remote place (like up a tree for example) and that's why I need remote controls! It's dammed inconvenient having to climb up the tree every time after switch on just to activate the remote control again!

Is anyone from the Sony design department paying attention?
Phil George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 05:20 PM   #183
Sponsor: VariZoom

VariZoom has zoom and focus

Phil,

The VariZoom does have a zoom and focus controls. Manual and electronic focus.

It is not easy making controls for every camera and sometimes it is just not worth it.

http://www.varizoom.com/img/products/fcu_web_1.jpg

http://www.varizoom.com/img/products/efcu_med_1.jpg

Best regards,

Tom
Thomas McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 06:20 PM   #184
Major Player

Phil, I am sure you have read this entire thread so you understand the that all the controllers mentioned only control zoom and record/stop/last clip playback. If you want control over focus and Iris it is going to cost you a lot more and you will have to get a remote focus system, Varizoom just came out with one and another company Hocus is also working on one. These are the cheaper ones, which are in the price range of folks like myself some of the remote focus devices out there run big $$$$$. I have high hopes for the varizoom which you can see here http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/remote-le...s-control.html

I would use this in addition to my varizoom Pro-EX Zoom Controller. sort of like the pic in the link.

Yes I agree Sony made a big mistake on the pin layout and what parameters it controls...
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 12:07 PM   #185
Major Player

EX1 Zoom Control?

Can some please site the hands down best zoom controller for the money?

Big thanks :)
Jonathan Bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 04:54 PM   #186
Major Player

Well I am very happy with my zoe-ex by bebob.

zoe ex bebob | B&H Photo Video
Brian Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 05:43 PM   #187
Trustee

I've tried the Bebob, and I have a Libec. But for hands down best performance, I have the Varizoom. Very solid construction, and very light for it's size. I have it permanently attached to my Sachtler handle.
VariZoom | VZ-PG-EX Pistol-Grip Zoom Controller | VZ-PG-EX | B&H
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 07:07 PM   #188
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto View Post
I've tried the Bebob, and I have a Libec. But for hands down best performance, I have the Varizoom. Very solid construction, and very light for it's size. I have it permanently attached to my Sachtler handle.
Ditto. Varizoom rocks (pun intended)
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2009, 12:54 AM   #189
Regular Crew

The Varizoom VZ-ROCK-EX (newer version).
I also tried Libec at NAB and decided to get Varizoom.
Tuy Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2009, 09:37 AM   #190
Regular Crew

I used the BEBOB for about 12 months. For some reason the zoom started to crawl automatically lately. I'm assuming the wire broke or something.

It did get the latest upgraded firmware from Sony - not sure if that is also a cause

I ordered the Manfrotto a few weeks back - that works fine

Paul
Paul Dhadialla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2009, 09:41 AM   #191
Regular Crew

Bebop ZOE EX is the one for me
super compact, light and very smooth to use.
only thing I´m not sold on, is the mounting..... it tends to loosen after a while, almost lost the thing once last weekend while moving between positions.
Quick fix: a sliver of duc tape around the screw where the bottom bracket latches on and it can´t go anywhere.
another little bit of advice, to keep the pins safe:
a bit of wine cork with a hole drilled into the end, where the plug can be inserted for transport purposes
Attached Thumbnails
Remote Lens Control on the PDW-EX1-dsc02414.jpg   Remote Lens Control on the PDW-EX1-dsc02416.jpg  

Kenny Cowburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 01:15 AM   #192
Major Player

Big thanks folks :)
Jonathan Bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 07:53 AM   #193
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuy Le View Post
The Varizoom VZ-ROCK-EX (newer version).
I also tried Libec at NAB and decided to get Varizoom.
Tuy,

That model has a pressure sensitive zoom control only - no speed wheel. Can you describe your experience with that model in a little more detail?

Thanks,

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 08:29 AM   #194
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto View Post

It looks like something that was knocked up in a garage. The Sony EX1 - EX3 is a superb design, why can't third party manufactures keep to the same look and feel.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds