Remote Lens Control on the PDW-EX1 - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 9th, 2008, 11:13 PM   #61
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Levy View Post
...feathered start and stop like one is accustomed to on a professional 2/3" camera lens. This has been impossible with any other 1/3" camera regardless of the controller or the speed of the zoom.
Sorry but this is not true. You have a valid complaint about 1/3rd-inch camcorders with LANC remote controls, but there have been 1/3rd-inch camcorders with standard 8-pin Fuji or Canon controllers (such as the entire JVC Pro HD camera line) and they certainly don't have this problem.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2008, 11:32 PM   #62
Trustee

Sorry, i haven't worked with those carefully anyway. Only the Sony and Panasonic. Question remains the same though.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 10:23 AM   #63
Contributor

Quote:
Carroll , can I ask you the same question I tried to ask Paul.
Can you truly get a feathered start and stop like one is accustomed to on a professional 2/3" camera lens.
Since I have never used a "professional 2/3" camera lens" I cannot answer your question categorically. I can say that I can get _very_ slow zooms with light pressure on the rocker and the Zoe speed dial set to its lowest value. The degree of feathered start is really a question of how good one is in "feathering" pressure on the rocker.

Carroll Lam
Carroll Lam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 01:31 PM   #64
Sponsor: VariZoom

Zoom for Sony EX

This is Tom from VariZoom. The zoom circuit on the new EX is similar to the Fujinon but not exactly the same. It is not incremental in steps like the Lanc controls but is similar in feel to what a professional camera with a Canon or Fujinon would be.

The zoom is very responsive and allows for an extremely slow crawl. VariZoom has three configurations for this control. The Rock EX, the Pro-Ex and the PG-Ex.

Tom
Thomas McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 03:36 PM   #65

Tom...

I have a Varizoom Rock-X. Can this be adapted(with an adapter cable) to work with the Sony EX1.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 04:41 PM   #66
Trustee

Tom,

Thanks for stepping in as you seem to understand the question. I have an HVX and one of your controllers for it, ( i can't remember which one but it has the iris knob as well). At any rate I just avoid any zooming except in run and gun situations because there is just no way to get a decent start.
Would I be able to do that with one of your controls and the Ex?

(will you do a trade - in?)

Lenny Levy
Old February 10th, 2008, 08:08 PM   #67

VariZoom Rock-X

Hi Bill,

I think you have a VariZoom Rock DVX, no matter no pre-existing control is going to work on a Sony EX camera. We could possibly make a convertor cable to allow a Canon or Fujinon pro control to work but that is the only possibility of utilizing an existing control.

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens View Post
Tom...

I have a Varizoom Rock-X. Can this be adapted(with an adapter cable) to work with the Sony EX1.
Old February 10th, 2008, 08:14 PM   #68

VariZoom HVX control

Hi Leonard,

No, it will not work. Trade in? Come on I have plenty of controls already. I am sure whoever buys or uses your HVX will need the HVX control. Used VariZoom's do well on Ebay and will get you about 75% of retail.

Thanks for the business.

Tom

Th
Quote:
Tom,

Thanks for stepping in as you seem to understand the question. I have an HVX and one of your controllers for it, ( i can't remember which one but it has the iris knob as well). At any rate I just avoid any zooming except in run and gun situations because there is just no way to get a decent start.
Would I be able to do that with one of your controls and the Ex?

(will you do a trade - in?)

Lenny Levy
Old February 10th, 2008, 08:39 PM   #69
Trustee

Thomas - I was kidding about the trade in , but I'm don't feel I've gotten a clear answer yet about whether I will be able to do a fully professional feathered zoom with the EX-1 and one of your controllers.

I'm buying if you can convince me!
Old February 10th, 2008, 08:42 PM   #70

Tom...

Thanx for your answer. However, it is a VZ-Rock F that I use on my HD110.
Old February 10th, 2008, 08:58 PM   #71

VariZoom Ex controls

Sorry Leonard,

You will be very pleased with the VariZoom. The VariZoom EX controls work perfectly and have an extremely smooth professional feathered slow crawl that can be ramped up quickly or ever so slowly. I'm not sure I can make it sound any better.

Best regards,

Tom

Quote:
Thomas - I was kidding about the trade in , but I'm don't feel I've gotten a clear answer yet about whether I will be able to do a fully professional feathered zoom with the EX-1 and one of your controllers.

I'm buying if you can convince me!
Old February 10th, 2008, 09:07 PM   #72

VariZoom Rock-F

Bill, I could make a convertor cable for the Rock-F but it will not work as well as the new VariZoom EX controls that are specifically designed for the camera. So I will likely stay away from making a convertor cable.

Thank you,

Tom
Old February 10th, 2008, 10:43 PM   #73
New Boot

Varizoom

I'm going to give the new Varizoom VZ-PG-EX a try. Should be shipping in a couple of weeks. I used one of their handles on PD-150 and DVX100 and liked it.

Here's a link...

http://varizoom.com/products/controls/vzpgex.html
Bob Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 08:15 AM   #74

Tom...

Once again, thanx so much for taking the time to answer. Sounds like I need to just bite the bullet and get a VZ designed for the EX.
Old February 11th, 2008, 10:24 AM   #75

VariZoom Controls for Sony EX

Hi Bob & Bill,

The link to the Rock EX just went live. Both controls work very well. (image below)

http://www.varizoom.com/products/controls/vzrockex.html

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Berg View Post
I'm going to give the new Varizoom VZ-PG-EX a try. Should be shipping in a couple of weeks. I used one of their handles on PD-150 and DVX100 and liked it.

Here's a link...

http://varizoom.com/products/controls/vzpgex.html
Attached Images

Thomas McKay is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds