Remote Lens Control on the PDW-EX1 - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 14th, 2008, 08:41 AM   #76
Inner Circle

Just to let you guys know that the Manfrotto solution (both handle-integrated, and separate clamp-on controllers) will be available in 2-3 weeks time. The software has been tested and works nice with the EX1.

Also, the Manfrotto controllers will be offering a bit more than just variable zoom, start/stop, and RET. Worth waiting and considering:)

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; February 14th, 2008 at 09:35 AM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 08:59 AM   #77
Regular Crew

Thanks Piotr ! I'll be looking out for that one.

All the controllers out so far look good.
For me - zoom and rec are just fine for the most part

I've used the Manfrotto full handle grip with my z1 and I like it.

Paul
Paul Dhadialla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 02:23 AM   #78
Sponsor: VariZoom

VariZoom EX Controls are shipping

Bob,

Your control should have already shipped. Sony did a great job on this camera and you will be very please with high degree of control.

The Pistol grip you ordered is milled from solid aluminum is one of our most robust cases ever made. The Rock and Stealth EX will fit on camera shoulder supports a little easier, as they are smaller, so if you decide you want a second control we will give you a deep discount for the second control.

In fact we will give anyone at DVinfo a discount or free shipping in the USA.

We appreciate Chris Hurd and the great community he has built. Chris actually was the first person to contact me for the first controller review when VariZoom made the first ever professional Lanc control the Pro-L.

Thanks to Chris the Watchdog and VariZoom has come a long way since.

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Berg View Post
I'm going to give the new Varizoom VZ-PG-EX a try. Should be shipping in a couple of weeks. I used one of their handles on PD-150 and DVX100 and liked it.

Here's a link...

http://varizoom.com/products/controls/vzpgex.html
Thomas McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 06:38 PM   #79
New Boot

Bebob ZOE-EX

I purchased the Bebob controller through 16x9inc.com
http://www.16x9inc.com/products/bebob/be-zoe-ex.html
and it works perfectly. I only wish Sony would have a way of controlling the Push Focus through a remote, but according to Bebob engineers the interface does not support push focus.
Otherwise you can do really slo-o-o-ow zooms with Bebob and also really fast. I did not have time to experiment which setting (handle or camera zoom speed) applies to remote, but remote itself has a wheel where you can set the speed. So I set the camera to real slow zoom and when the Bebob is set to slowest it can take 20-30 seconds to zoom through the full range, when Bebob is set to fast - the full zoom range takes about 4-5 seconds. The build quality is excellent too. The cable is about twice as long as really needed, still better if a short one... Highly recommended.
Tibor Duliskovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 01:52 PM   #80
Regular Crew

Anyone have any updates on the rumored Manfrotto LANC for the EX1, would like to know all my options before I commit to one.

- Ray
Old February 29th, 2008, 02:38 PM   #81
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Schlogel View Post
Anyone have any updates on the rumored Manfrotto LANC for the EX1, would like to know all my options before I commit to one.

- Ray
Ray, the Manfrotto EX1 controller (not LANC, though, of course) is due soon.
Old February 29th, 2008, 03:16 PM   #82
Regular Crew

I knew that (not LANC that is)! Force of habit I suppose. =)

- Ray
Old February 29th, 2008, 04:38 PM   #83
Regular Crew

perhaps a silly question, but if remote control is limited to start/stop and zoom control (or, so it seems), why not just stick with LANC? perhaps rhetorical, but I'd expect that there would be additional functionality such as focus control as others have asked for. Anyone know what the interface is spec'd to support versus what remote manufacturers have implemented?
Brent Ethington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2008, 08:43 AM   #84
Major Player

I received my Varizoom EX controller last week and have shot with it twice now. It is great. Love the newer rocker. Intuitive, ergo friendly....Nice.
Randy Strome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2008, 12:09 PM   #85
Major Player

Piotr, what advantages will the Manfrotto have over the Bebob which is currently available (I have a Lanc version for my V1U and I like the brand). Do you know how soon, (days, weeks, months) the Manfrotto will be for sale? I can't see it listed anywhere, even for pre-ordering. Thanks. -Keith
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2008, 12:15 PM   #86
Inner Circle

I am supposed to have a working prototype within a couple of days; will keep you posted on both the technical details and availability.
Old March 10th, 2008, 01:24 PM   #87
New Boot

Bebob ZOE-EX controller review

I have 2 EX1 cameras. I previously had three HVX cameras and had 2 Varizoom controllers and one ZOE-DVX controllers for them. Overall they were very similar and worked great and very similar.

So when I needed zoom controllers for my new EX1's I initially called Varizoom and ordered two of the first units available. I received them and unfortunately was not impressed. It was almost impossible to get predictable slow zooms. They were very "notchy" and went very fast from slow to fast with a quick jump from no zoom to quick zoom with abrupt stops. With a little practice I got better but not great.

I made a few calls and found someone who had 2 Zoe-EX in stock and ordered them because I had a shoot coming up. I got them the day before the shoot. The difference was night and day. In addition to being more compact and amazingly more controllable, they have a speed adjustment wheel which sets the maximum speed for zoom, but still lets you use the full rocker. The quality of zoom reminds me of high end professional zooms as opposed to stepped LANC and my older HVX cameras. I am thoroughly pleased. The zoom is more controllable than even the built in rocker. You can get true feathered starts and stops unlike the HVX zoom mechanism.

I called to return my Varizoom controllers and was assured by them that the problems in the controllers have been fixed. Because I had already bought the Bebob controllers and was totally satisfied, I did not take them up on replacing them. So I cannot vouch for whether newer models have the problems resolved. They did return them with no problems. So thanks for good customer service.

Even assuming they have fixed the problems in the Varizoom controllers, I really like the speed adjustment of the Bebob, something Varizoom does not offer. So I am totally sold on the Zoe-EX controllers.
Adam Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2008, 05:04 PM   #88
Major Player

I have the Varizoom PMW-EX1 (not the more stylish looking one above). I am entirely satisfied. No jumps at all. With your thumb in the cradle, you can start out creeping and slowly ramp up. Rock solid build.
Randy Strome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2008, 05:31 AM   #89
Trustee

I've got the Libec ZC9-EX. I'm very happy with it.

Paul.
Old March 11th, 2008, 09:01 AM   #90
Regular Crew

I also bought the Libec and am happy with it. At the time it was the only one shipping, and I was concerned about the quality given that it's the lowest-priced unit on the market (so far), but was pleasantly surprised. It has the functionality of the others, and the zoom control works well - push it slightly and it zooms slowly, push hard and it zooms quickly (easy to control).
Brent Ethington is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds