Remote Lens Control on the PDW-EX1 - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 1st, 2008, 05:19 AM   #46
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Levy View Post
Paul, Can you get a genuine professional feathered stop and start with the Libec?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by feathered, but in my opinion anything that can be done with the rocker on the camera can be done with the remote. pressing it lightly causes a zoom so slow it's hard to spot and it increases in a linear fashion as you press further. There is no stepping etc, it's very smooth.

I paid £199 which is the RRP

regards

Paul.
Old February 1st, 2008, 06:02 AM   #47
Trustee

I guess I mean what you would expect from a professional fugi or canon controller on a 2/3" camera.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 06:44 AM   #48
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Levy View Post
I guess I mean what you would expect from a professional fugi or canon controller on a 2/3" camera.
I've not used one so it would be hard to say.

Sorry
Old February 1st, 2008, 10:23 AM   #49
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Joy View Post
I purchased one of the Libec controllers for my EX1 at the video forum show in London today. I tried both the Libec and the Bebop controllers and although I liked the way the Bebop controller zoom lever felt, I preferred the Libec due to it's ease of fitting and slightly sturdier feel. I wanted something that could be easily passed from my tripod to my multirig.

The Libec controls the zoom and rec functions, although there is a rec/ret switch on the side and when this is moved to 'ret' the rec button triggers the clip review function. I'm really pleased with it, it's easy to use and seems very accurate allowing the full range of speeds just like the rocker on the camera.

Paul.
Very interesting. I have used a Varizoom and Bebob controller in the past and i found the Bebob more robust and better made. I shoot in really bad conditions - rain, dust & wind. From what you saw the Libec is tougher than the Bebob?

Do you have the part no for the libec i cant find any details online...

I am looking to buy a controller asap but i cannot get to london.
Brendan Pyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 10:33 AM   #50
Major Player

Hi Brendan, I'm not sure which would be tougher in those kind of conditions, but the Libec just seemed to be a little bit more rigid to touch, wheres the Zoe controller had a bit more flex in the plastics.

I'm sure they are both great controllers though, I just preferred the Libec.

Check this out... http://www.vimeo.com/655026
Old February 1st, 2008, 10:40 AM   #51
Trustee

Paul, from the video it seems real touchy to get a very slow crawl speed. Is this so?
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 10:43 AM   #52
Major Player

Duplicate post.
Old February 1st, 2008, 10:46 AM   #53
Major Player

Not sure about touchy, you do need to be gentle with it if you want the slowest speed. Bare in mind that this was at the extremes of the zoom and given that the cable was stretched to the camera it wasn't as easy using it as normal.

I'm also right handed and did with with my left hand so was a little more clumsy than usual.
Old February 1st, 2008, 10:48 AM   #54
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Joy View Post
Hi Brendan, I'm not sure which would be tougher in those kind of conditions, but the Libec just seemed to be a little bit more rigid to touch, wheres the Zoe controller had a bit more flex in the plastics.

I'm sure they are both great controllers though, I just preferred the Libec.

Check this out... http://www.vimeo.com/655026
thanks!

the libec does look nice and simple. but like you said it hard to judge which wil survive water ingress etc. My first one was a varizoom which i thought was the in dustry leader and super robust but the sea air got to the that one pretty quick! - how does the libec attatch to the arm?
Old February 1st, 2008, 10:59 AM   #55
Major Player

Here's some pics of the attachment. This to me was the major reason to choose this one. It can be taken off with a single thumbscrew and moved to my mutlirig from the side (without sliding down the extension arm).

One downside was that the converter they have supplied does not screw or lock to the end of the cable, it's just a push fit. For this reason I put some insulation tape on the connector to keep it together.
Attached Thumbnails
Remote Lens Control on the PDW-EX1-lib1.jpg   Remote Lens Control on the PDW-EX1-lib2.jpg  

Remote Lens Control on the PDW-EX1-lib3.jpg  
Old February 1st, 2008, 11:03 AM   #56
Regular Crew

that is a nice attachment! i find the screws on the bebob dig into me as i am carrying the cam & tripod on my shoulder...
Old February 1st, 2008, 11:35 AM   #57
Major Player

And here it is on the multirig in a couple of configurations.
Attached Thumbnails
Remote Lens Control on the PDW-EX1-lib4.jpg   Remote Lens Control on the PDW-EX1-lib5.jpg  

Remote Lens Control on the PDW-EX1-lib6.jpg   Remote Lens Control on the PDW-EX1-lib7.jpg  

Old February 1st, 2008, 07:50 PM   #58
Regular Crew

Paul, many thanks for posting the video clip of the Libec controller.

I think what many of us want to know is how slow the EX zoom can go, especially with this controller. It is obviously smooth and stepless. Any chance you could make another video demonstrating an almost imperceptible push and/or pull?

If your time allows, I know we would all benefit. If not, thanks for the effort you have already made.

Dave McCallister
Dave McCallister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2008, 10:50 PM   #59
Contributor

I just received my Bebob Zoe EX Zoom controller from http://16x9inc.com/products/bebob/be-zoe-ex.html.

I have other Zoe controllers that I have used with my Sony Z1U and Sony PDW-F350. The Zoe EX is very similar to them.

A very "ergonomic" rocker switch for controlling zoom. The speed of the zoom is proportionally controlled by the displacement of the rocker. The maximum speed available is adjustable with a dial on the side of the controller. The slowest maximum speed is approximately equal to speed 22 for the handle rocker switch zoom controller. With a steady thunb on the Zoe's rocker switch very slow zooms can be accomplished.

in addition to the max speed control dial there are three buttons on the Zoe: a "return" button that functions as a "play last clip" button; a record stop/start button; and a button that, when held down when the Zoe is plugged into the EX1 in Standby, will reverse the direction of the zoom controlled by the rocker switch.

As a satisfied user of prior Zoe controllers as mentioned above I am quite satisfied with the Zoe EX.

I have no involvement with the Zoe controller other than as a satisfied user.

Carroll Lam
Carroll Lam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2008, 10:56 PM   #60
Trustee

Carroll , can I ask you the same question I tried to ask Paul.
Can you truly get a feathered start and stop like one is accustomed to on a professional 2/3" camera lens.

This has been impossible with any other 1/3" camera regardless of the controller or the speed of the zoom. There has always been a slightly but noticeably abrupt start and stop.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds