Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q1Q2) - Page 103 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old May 12th, 2005, 12:34 PM   #1531
Regular Crew

Does anyone exist at http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com ?

Never aswer the phone, just get on hold forever listening to that stupid music.

Never answer emails.

If there is any sign of life over there then post here and let me know.
Old May 12th, 2005, 12:39 PM   #1532
Sponsor: JET DV

Short answer: Yes.

Longer answer: My understanding is that they only answer during normal business hours. Plus there is an hour period of time during lunch during which the phone is not answered.

Confirmed (straight from Sony's website):
Hours: 9:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. CST, Monday through Friday.
Old May 12th, 2005, 12:42 PM   #1533

There is ONE version of Vegas - just different pricing depending on qualifications. So, no, there will be no limitations.
Old May 12th, 2005, 01:10 PM   #1534
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info, Ed.
David Bird
Old May 12th, 2005, 02:54 PM   #1535
Regular Crew

I've gotten pretty good support from them (when I had an install issue with CDA 5.2, and once on a SF plug-in), but you do need to call during business hours. Unfortunately, business hours don't include weekends.
Old May 12th, 2005, 03:00 PM   #1536
Regular Crew

Steve - maybe someone else could help, but I can't understand how Bezier masks would be used in a "breaking apart a puzzle" effect.

Admittedly, I haven't thought this out, but what I would do is make the puzzle pieces in Photoshop from the image. It would be easy enough to draw the pieces with the pen tool, turn the path into a selection, then CTRL-J to make a new layer for that piece. Then you could, one by one, save each piece/layer as a PNG. The transparency of the layer remains transparent in Vegas.

Then you could import each PNG as a track in Vegas, and could animate each piece independently, rotate, pan, 3D motion, spin, etc. It'd be easy to make them all end up where you wanted, joined together, by just stacking them up (each fills in the other's transparent areas).

This way, there's no need to use an "add" blend mode or anything unusual like that.

HTH. And like I said, I gave it about 10 seconds of thought. There may be a lots easier way to do it. ;-D
Old May 12th, 2005, 03:18 PM   #1537

Steve, how about e-mailing be the VEG file so I can play with it?
Old May 12th, 2005, 08:38 PM   #1538
Regular Crew

Edward, It's in the mail. If you have trouble getting it let me know and I'll put it up somewhere for downloading.

Brian, I know I'm probably going about this the wrong way. I'll think a bit about your idea.

Thanks

pdx10, EOS10D
Old May 13th, 2005, 12:37 AM   #1539
Regular Crew

Vegas deinterlace automatically?

Can someone help me out please?

Recently I switched over to Vegas 6 (yes, I'm a new user) and when I was importing some video clips from my camcorder to the computer, I noticed that the clips captured seemed to be deinterlaced. My shots are done in 30fps interlaced, and when I watch the raw uncompressed footage, I don't see the horizontal lines, which I used to when I captured clips from Premiere Pro.

My question is, does Vegas 6 automatically deinterlace when caputring clips to the computer and if so, does this degrade the video quality? Am I supposed to see the horizontal lines showing up when there's a lot of camera movement/action going on?
Old May 13th, 2005, 01:07 AM   #1540
Regular Crew

Capture via firewire just transfers the video from your camcorder tape to your computer. Both are the same format (DV AVI) so there is no loss of resolution. The video is not deinterlaced upon transfer.

Horizontal lines don't sound good. I've never seen this in my transfers.

pdx10, EOS10D
Old May 13th, 2005, 01:10 AM   #1541
Major Player

Mike,
The capture window is usually of a low enough resolution to get rid of any interlace lines if that's what you're talking about, but it sounds like you mean the preview window. At the top there is a resolution/quality drop down - if you select best/full it will show the full resolution and hence any interlace artifacts.

BTW I have Vegas 5, I haven't used 6 yet but I guess this still applies..

Cheers.
Old May 13th, 2005, 05:20 AM   #1542
Regular Crew

Thumbnails on timeline are gone

One never knows....is this just something I bumped on a menu somewhere or is this going to be a crisis of epic proportions?

Anyone know what may have happened?
Old May 13th, 2005, 07:07 AM   #1543

Steve, I never saw it. Can you send again and make sure "Vegas" is in the subject line somewhere?
Old May 13th, 2005, 07:09 AM   #1544

Options - Preferences - Draw waveforms and frames in events.

Make sure it is turned ON.
Old May 13th, 2005, 08:40 AM   #1545
Regular Crew

Edward,

I resent the files. The veg file is around 4 megs, don't know if that is the problem. Or it could be I took out some of the spaces in your email address.

Hope they get there this time.

Thanks,

Steve

pdx10, EOS10D
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...