Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q1Q2) - Page 105 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old May 15th, 2005, 06:27 AM   #1561
Major Player

Angel,

Glen Elliott edits in Vegas and produces artistic results.
Select the "Search" option then "Advanced Search". Enter "Glen Elliott".

This thread is a good example: Getting Ready"

About half way down this thread Glen posted another: Slightly different

Glenn Chan also edits in Vegas and posted an example where he achieved a filmic look from miniDV footage: Comparison
Old May 15th, 2005, 06:27 AM   #1562
Major Player

sorry, I didn't mean to mix concepts there. I'm interested in the XP Media's package for recording / viewing TV and such as an extra... some fluff on the side. I'm wanting a laptop primarily for editing with Vegas. I did not want to miss the goal for the sake of fluff.
Thanks for your inquiry as well as your answer to the heart of the question.

HP has an outlet center on their website that has a laptop configuration I've been wanting for a $500 savings compared to if I'd configured it new.
17" widescreen
3.4E P4 w/HT, 800FSB
1GB RAM
100 GB HD
dedicated 256 MB RAM ATI X600 PCI Xpress video
DVD+/-, DL drive
integrated wireless
XP Media OS
keyboard with dedicated numeric keypad
scroll touchpad
6-in-1 memory reader,
and of course Firewire port
for $1749.99
Looking forward to more editing location options, I'm tired of being away from everyone else and chained to my desktop, or away from the house for extended periods of time, unable to edit. Now it'll be fold-n-go, or a tiny footprint on the dining room table. Squeezing editing into life can be difficult for me.
Old May 15th, 2005, 07:39 AM   #1563
New Boot

Kelly Chien has a site where people upload their Vegas edited videos.

http://www.vegasusers.com/

-Dan
Old May 15th, 2005, 12:43 PM   #1564
Inner Circle

I just purchased a similar config with a 3ghz P4 and xp mc. I installed vegas 6, SoundForge 8 and DVD Architect 3 with no problems so far. xpmc comes with MovieMaker 2.1 which adds dvd burning capabilities (trying to catch up with the iMacs I guess). Plus HP throws in Itunes in hopes of you pruchasing their version of the Ipod. Not a bad setup.

Did you get the external video recording box with it? It supports both recording and viewing at the same time?
Old May 15th, 2005, 01:17 PM   #1565
Major Player

I placed the order last night, and was wondering the same thing myself. It claimed in the description to have the ability, but did not specifically mention the external box I've seen in some other pictures. I'm assuming at this point that if it's going to have the ability to do the dual tuner thing, it'll have to come bundled with the box you mentioned. They perhaps avoid pointing out there's going to be an external gadget to the already 10 lb. portable desktop. I'll see in a couple of weeks, Lord willing. Plus I have to wait and see if they even had enough refurb models to cover my order over the weekend as well as any others before me. The auto generated email said to allow 'til 10 pm the next business day to get back to me. There are pluses and minuses to shopping online at the outlet store on a weekend!
Old May 15th, 2005, 02:10 PM   #1566
New Boot

Thanks
Angel
Old May 15th, 2005, 06:22 PM   #1567
Regular Crew

Minimun laptop specs for doing Same Day Wedding Edit with Vegas

I've been reading a lot about people doing same day wedding edits that are shown at the reception. If you are using Vegas and doing this on a laptop, what kind of machine would you need?
Old May 15th, 2005, 06:24 PM   #1568
Major Player

I've seen a lot of talk about rotating footage in different programs and some do it badly and some do it well (apparently).
Does anyone know how well Vegas stacks up?

Cheers.
Old May 15th, 2005, 08:32 PM   #1569
Sponsor: JET DV

Vegas handles it very well. I would test render under both "Good" and "Best" and see which does the job better for you.
Old May 15th, 2005, 08:37 PM   #1570
Sponsor: JET DV

Most decent laptops could handle it easily. My recommendation would be to have EVERYTHING possible already rendered prior to adding the wedding day events. Then it will only have to manipulate a very small amount.

I know this laptop could handle it well. It's a 3.4 Ghz, 1 Gig RAM, 800 MHz FSB, and two 60 Gig 7200 RPM drives..
Old May 15th, 2005, 09:51 PM   #1571
Regular Crew

Edward,

Just checking whether you've had a chance to look at the Veg file.

Thanks,

Steve

pdx10, EOS10D
Old May 15th, 2005, 09:59 PM   #1572
Major Player

Edward,

I thought I recognized that name from NAB. I was the guy with the steadicam type rig who was at the Vegas night. I think I sat right in back of you.

Anyway, Vegas Video works great with my 1.8 GHz regular computer and I'll be trying it out on a new 2.0 GHz Athlon 64 3200+ w/512 RAM + 60 GIG HD notebook. The neatest thing is that I can put a 200 gig HD via USB and use that for the video. I trust it will work correctly as the throughput is supposed to be high enough to handle video.

Any comments Edward?

By the way, I wished I had your multicamera plugin (I think you wrote it) when I did a two hour 4 camera shoot a month ago.

Terry

sort of from "The Princess Bride"

www.indicam.com
Old May 15th, 2005, 11:12 PM   #1573
Regular Crew

Terry,

The AMD and the P4 processors get quite warm after an extended period of time. I would strongly reccomend purchasing a Pentium M notebook. I use the notebook listed in my signature almost 8 hours a day for editing (with Premiere Pro) and the temp barely goes above 50
Old May 15th, 2005, 11:41 PM   #1574
Inner Circle

i ouwld have to agree... with the amount of grunt thats required, a centrino would be ideal.. on top of that, the chipset itself is MUCH faster and more efficient, so ur rendering will be very quick, if colour correction isnt needed..

a lil trick i do is set everything up in a project, then, i have jpgs, with text on them saying, bride walks down isle, grooms face, signing the certificate etc etc.
Then i capture THAT footage ad name tehm accordignly.. then i open the project (which is already set to timing with the music and transitions AND filters) , and the only elements i need to replace are teh actual pieces.. so go to ur media bin and select the particular jpg for that scene.. now right click and select "replace"

Now what i do.. for all the pieces that i have made prior to adding these "today" pieces i have a prerendered track which already has my texts, intros, and any stills/slideshow i may have already included.. so in effect, all that needs to be rendered is the pieces i add today...

then i output to tape and use a camera connected to a projector to play this back thru the projector.. the reason i use tape is that the motion is much smoother than mpg2...
I wont play the file off the lappy as its gamma is set differently..

very simple.. works a treat.

thing to remember though, is that you should have someone doing this while someone else is doing the actual work... u dont wanna spread yourself thin...
Old May 16th, 2005, 06:05 AM   #1575
Major Player

Check my site (URL below). I can recommend the short movie BitterSweet, which has been edited heavily with Vegas including reframing, color correction and title effects.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...