Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q1Q2) - Page 14 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old January 16th, 2005, 12:55 PM   #196
Regular Crew

There a few ways you can edit MPEG files without re-encoding but they all need external programs, a couple of which are free.

Mpeg2Schnitt and Cuttermaran both enable you to do simple but frame-accurate cuts and then save without re-encoding and both are free.

For more sophisticated MPEG editing without re-encoding there are VideoReDo, MPEG-VCR and TMPGEnc MPEG Editor, all at around $50. They only re-encode any changes (anything other than simple cuts).

For the ultimate in MPEG editing there is MPEG Video Wizard which has multiple tracks, transitions, filters/effects, titles, works with AC3 and has MPEG repair tools etc. etc. It's a bit pricier at $120 but does a great job. It also only re-encodes the changes so saving is very fast.

This is my first post too :)

Hello to all.

Tony
Old January 16th, 2005, 01:32 PM   #197
Sponsor: JET DV

4:42 is the 1Gig mark on an AVI file. For some reason WMP is only seeing the first gig of the file.
Old January 16th, 2005, 01:53 PM   #198
Slash Rules!

Ok, I guess that's a starting place. . .I suppose I could create the WMV file in Vegas instead of through the WMP encoder. . .maybe that would allow me to bypass the problem. I still find it odd I didn't run into this before.

Is there some 1 gig limit on WMP or something?
Old January 16th, 2005, 03:41 PM   #199
New Boot

Poor Memory

This was also posted on Non linear Editing on the PC but I thought I would try it here also.

Hey guys, please tell me what this means.

While building my new computer: P4-3.0; Asus Mobo/875 chipset; two Hitachi SATA 160's; Maxtor external 120 USB; one GIG Kingston Ram; Plextor DVD burner.

I loaded Vegas 5.0 on my old 500mgz machine; 128 ram; 10 gig IDE HD to play with it.

The problem I see when I go to Preferences/Video it says under Dynamic Ram Preview max 16 MB & only 16MB available. When I boot up the computer says 130,548 MB ram. So is the ram dead or what?

Any help is appreciated, TEB
Old January 16th, 2005, 05:14 PM   #200
Inner Circle

That seems normal. Because your old 500mhz computer has so little memory, you'd expect there to be only a little bit of RAM available for RAM preview.

Quote:
When I boot up the computer says 130,548 MB ram.
That's erroneous as 130,548MB is a lot of memory. You probably mean kB?

2- Why do you think your RAM is dead?
Old January 16th, 2005, 06:45 PM   #201
Major Player

Thanks Edward. I was hoping there was something more cool, but that works for me.
Old January 16th, 2005, 06:50 PM   #202
Major Player

If Vegas took all the available memory for its RAM Render space, it would not have any left to actually work in do calcs, store temporary data, etc, and all your other programs would crash too. Actually, they would just start paging memory like crazy until your processor overheated. But computer would grind to a halt.
Old January 16th, 2005, 09:00 PM   #203
Regular Crew

The default setting is 16MB RAM, so that is normal. Sony suggests that this be set at about 70% of available RAM. The mystery for you is why it's only showing 16 MBs available.

Gary
Old January 16th, 2005, 10:46 PM   #204
Slash Rules!

Alright, well, whatever the issue was, rendering it with Vegas' own WMV thingy did the trick. I'm proud, it's pretty sharp, pretty decent looking, and I shaved about 4 megs off the old file size, somehow (I had it up on my site before, and wanted to make changes, hence this new fiasco). I did halve the framerate, but I don't think it looks to bad on a computer.
Old January 17th, 2005, 09:53 AM   #205
New Boot

Glenn & Gary,

Yes, my bad about the KB. The old computer has 128 MG ram.

In Vegas 5, properties it says 16 MB in default and also says 16 MB available. I can not increase the amount over 16MB so it seems that is all that's available. The computer has 128 MB ram in it. Based on this I would hope to be able to select the 89-90 MB ram which is 70% of 128 just like Gary demonstrates in his Vegas 5 Companion DVD. So yes, Gary is correct in that my question is why does Vegas only show 16 MB available when in fact there is 128 inside? Once again, upon boot up the display even says 130,548.

Thanks for any help.

TEB
Old January 17th, 2005, 11:44 AM   #206
Sponsor: JET DV

Don't forget that within that 128 Meg you also have to allow for room for the OS, Vegas, any running services, etc...

16meg is the max with 128 meg. Add more memory, you can choose a bigger number.
Old January 17th, 2005, 02:15 PM   #207
Fred Retread

Pixlelated AVI playback

Windows Media Player
WinDVD and
Quicktime Player

all play back my downloaded and rendered DV (.avi files) with a lot of pixelation. The Vegas preview, even at its largest, does not. When rendered as Mpeg-2 they're fine.

I'd like to be able to view .avi full screen. Is there a codec I need to get?
Old January 17th, 2005, 03:13 PM   #208
Regular Crew

Well , there is a first for everything so here is my first answer to a post :)

John , if I were you I would include a text media like Ed instructed but you could also apply the cookie cutter FX (squar shape cutter). Now on you're text you can apply compositing , flashes , transitions etc... Just reading your post gave me cool idea's with what I just mentionned

See ya
Old January 17th, 2005, 03:18 PM   #209
Regular Crew

Big pixel render , not the same question as Fred

Hi all,

I just rendered my latest project without compression , my footage was pixelated a lot because i shot it in a nightclub without any real extra lighting.

I use the quickblur effect to reduce the pixelation but it's still very much there after rendering.

Any suggestions for reducing the pixelation

Thanks
Old January 17th, 2005, 04:01 PM   #210
New Boot

Thanks Edward, now I will concentrate on finishing the new computer system.

TEB
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...