Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q1Q2) - Page 87 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old April 20th, 2005, 07:31 AM   #1291
Inner Circle

Dear Peter,

I will be getting my copy of Vegas 6.0 (Boxed Edition) this morning (April 20, 2005).

I will install it as soon as possible and report if I am getting any errors.

Secondly, I understand that there is an update for Vegas 6.0, on the Vegas Download site, that should be downloaded. I understand that this is a later version than what is in the boxed edition.
Old April 20th, 2005, 08:16 AM   #1292
Sponsor: JET DV

My suggestion would be to take a HARD look at Vegas 6+DVDA 3. Delayed buttons is one of the many new features in DVDA 3 and will simplify this procedure greatly.
Old April 20th, 2005, 08:24 AM   #1293
Inner Circle

Yup, its funny how people complain that AVID says, "HDV support in third quarter" and then complain because it's not here already. Extensive beta testing.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

I just get tired of people who brag "MY NLE never crashes." (any brand.)

They ALL crash. Every single one of them.

I am sure VEGAS will work through it's problems, and version 6.x will be completely stable. Hey, that's the way it works.
Old April 20th, 2005, 08:29 AM   #1294
Inner Circle

i was surprised that it was crashing though.. and considering i cant find the cause of it is a great concern to me.. im thinging its mroe the implementation of the media manager, however even with it disabled (which defeats the purpose of V6) it still crashes..

I agree with ur comments that all apps crash.. however for an NLE of this magnitude, the only ones that HAVENT crashd on me randomly is Vegas 5 and Avid express dv which is on a different system anyway..
i dunno anymore.. sony could have done so much mroe with it.. (i was actually expecting afew more extras (such as filters etc) than what i was told during our briefing/demo before its release)

oh well.. ill stick with what works for now..
Old April 20th, 2005, 08:40 AM   #1295

Peter, I haven't been seeing these crashes. Any step by step method to reproduce?

Dan, Once you get your box, forget the CD and download and install 6.0a.
Old April 20th, 2005, 11:09 AM   #1296
Inner Circle

basically install the netframework 1.1 an make sure DX9c is fully loaded

install vegas and reboot

open vegas and u cna lcik thru everything without a problem

try to access a drive or file, and i ge tehse stack dumps.

whether i go into file and select open as soon as i click on open, bang..
try again this time just import media and click up to timline area for auto timeline creation.. bang.. dead..

go to media manager.. scroll thru blanks.. all good, try to access files.. bang again..

i tried it with media manager on and off and it does the same thing..

also once the program crashed i have to shut it down thru task manager
then i have to shut down sqlserv

i wish Sony didnt use a microshaft databasing system... :(
Old April 20th, 2005, 11:46 AM   #1297
Regular Crew

how to get the upgrade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel
If you purchase Vegas 5 + DVD today, you will qualify for a free upgrade to Vegas 6 + DVD. Videoguys is running a special right now.
I bought Vegas 5 + DVD as mentioned. Now how do I get my free upgrade? I didn't see anything on the Sony Pictures site about it.

thanks.
Old April 20th, 2005, 11:49 AM   #1298
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Paisley
I bought Vegas 5 + DVD as mentioned. Now how do I get my free upgrade? I didn't see anything on the Sony Pictures site about it.

thanks.

by the way, I didn't purchase it from Video Guys - that shouldn't matter though, right?
Old April 20th, 2005, 12:15 PM   #1299
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel
My suggestion would be to take a HARD look at Vegas 6+DVDA 3. Delayed buttons is one of the many new features in DVDA 3 and will simplify this procedure greatly.

I just got the the trial, and it worked perfectly for what I needed....ugh. Guess its time to upgrade.
Old April 20th, 2005, 12:44 PM   #1300
Inner Circle

Hey folks now that we can justify it (OT)

Dell has their Ultrasharp 24" lcd monitors on sale. They got a 9 out of 10 at extremetech.

Here is the link $999.00 US.
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...&page=external
Old April 20th, 2005, 03:13 PM   #1301

I'm not sure the free upgrade info has been posted yet. Call Sony support and ask.
Old April 20th, 2005, 06:05 PM   #1302
Major Player

Could you explain in greater detail how you did that? Thanks!

If need be I can host this clip as far as I have gotten so you can get a beter Idea of what I am trying to accomplish.
Old April 20th, 2005, 09:15 PM   #1303
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

make sure when you capture you are using SMART capture ( no computer preview while capturing )

by any chance are you using one of those file share programs ? ( music, video sharing) .. i have found on friends computers these programs use 40-50% CPU even if it is not hooked up to internet ...

also you must TURN ON write cache on the external drive ( at least once from any computer ) go into disk management .. right click on the grey area below the disk # ( ie disk 3 ) then properties .. you'll find write cache on 2nd header i believe - put a DOT in the trun on write cache ..
Old April 21st, 2005, 03:16 PM   #1304
Major Player

AAF Working (thanks BJ_M)

Here's the link to the proper .dll -- overwrite (or backup and replace) the AAFCOAPI.dll that sits inside your Vegas 6 dir.
Old April 21st, 2005, 10:50 PM   #1305
Inner Circle

Dear Peter and Edward,

I just completed my install of Vegas 6.0 (April 21, 2005). Everything that I have tested to date seems to work fine.

I opened projects that I created in Vegas 4.0 and they work. I set up a secondary monitor as the preview monitor and that worked fine when I disabled "Fit to Screen", otherwise it was blurry.

I created a new project, from scratch, in Vegas 6.0(a) and it works.

I followed Edward's advice and put aside the disk of Vegas 6.0 that I received from Sony, downloaded the Vegas 6.0a Upgrade and used it instead. Sony's technical service offerred the same advice. (Thank you for pointing me in the right direction Edward!)

I had to load ".Net Framework" and then the Service Pack 1. I also had to upgrade to Direct X 9.0(c). All of these were checked by the installation process. The installation software automatically pointed me to the proper locations to download and install the upgrades.

Then I was able to complete the installation of Vegas 6.0(a) and everything appears to work fine.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...