Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q1Q2) - Page 94 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old April 29th, 2005, 12:01 PM   #1396
Trustee

that sounds like a rendering nightmare, and it could only degrade the picture quality... the object is to do least amount of rendering possible.

there must be something wrong with your source footage, to make you want to do that? maybe take a raw freeze frame of your source, then post it so we can see how bad the overscan area is(?)
Old April 29th, 2005, 12:31 PM   #1397
Major Player

Ultimate S and Photo Montage

Just downloaded Ultimate S from the VAAST site and had a question about photo montage.

Does Montage time the video to the music video based on the Ruler Properties settings or does it just "know".

Thanks for the help

Jim
Old April 29th, 2005, 12:32 PM   #1398
Sponsor: JET DV

I never open it except for TWO circumstances:

1) To test an older version of a script
2) To answer a question someone has asked and THEY are still on Vegas 4 so I need to confirm if a feature was actually IN Vegas 4 or was added later.
Old April 29th, 2005, 12:33 PM   #1399

One codec not on your list is MJPEG. That's the format used by many still cameras.
Old April 29th, 2005, 12:35 PM   #1400

There should only be ONE firewire jack on the camera. Plug it in the same place you do for capture.

Can you print to tape with this camera? Is there a menu setting that has to be changed to allow firewire INPUT?
Old April 29th, 2005, 12:40 PM   #1401
Air China Pilot

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/download.html
Old April 29th, 2005, 01:12 PM   #1402
Regular Crew

I had the same problems with avi's created by digital still cameras using the MJPEG codec until I installed an MJPEG codec.
Old April 29th, 2005, 01:19 PM   #1403
Trustee

Yes it "knows" what to do. Drop the music into an audio track and drop the images into their track, let it know which is the audio track per the instructions, select the transitions, and voila, insta-montage!

I'm not at my Vegas machine right now so I can't remember the exact instructions, but it's a very intuitive process.
Old April 29th, 2005, 02:31 PM   #1404
Tourist

It looks to me that I am only shrinking the video image a little, that way nothing is cut off during TV overscan. I am right?
Old April 29th, 2005, 02:38 PM   #1405

Making it smaller to not cut off the overscan is NOT desirable. If you then render to a web format, it will be too small to fit the full screen. Just make sure to shoot FOR the safe areas.

You can turn on the safe area overlay - it looks like a # above the preview screen. The outside line is your "Action" safe area. The inside line is your "Title" safe area.

Shoot for that and don't try to make the video "smaller" to fit your TV. Besides, what fits your TV may be too small on my TV. Then again, it may need to be even SMALLER to fit on another TV (I have on at home that cuts off titles on several channels). So which one would you render for? As has been mentioned, they're ALL different.

My advice, don't shrink the image!
Old April 29th, 2005, 02:43 PM   #1406
Major Player

Oh, this is to good to be true........
Old April 29th, 2005, 03:00 PM   #1407
Tourist

Thanks for your replies

To me it looks that in the worse case senario (on any TV) you will notice a very small black frame around the video image. I feel that this is acceptable, as long as the picture still is of high quality. Am I wrong? The small trials look quite good, on my vegas preview screen it is just filling the outer safe area.

I agree, I have to shoot in a wider angle and a little further away to avoid too much close-ups.

Thanks
Everard
Old April 29th, 2005, 04:50 PM   #1408
Trustee

Everard

a) No, I don't think you're doing the right thing, unless you've already shot and you ABSOLUTELY, MUST, WITHOUT A DOUBT see something in the frame that's current cut off cause of tv overscan.

b) Yes. Either shoot normal and make sure you allow for the underscan portion when shooting so you dno't put important elements in that area. You can, if you must PAN using Vegas, sort of like a small PAN and scan. That will save image quality and should get most of what you want.

c) Yes, cause you're scaled the frame.

d) Don't think so.

Greeting also from New Zealand :)
Aaron
Old April 29th, 2005, 06:50 PM   #1409
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel
There should only be ONE firewire jack on the camera. Plug it in the same place you do for capture.

Can you print to tape with this camera? Is there a menu setting that has to be changed to allow firewire INPUT?
My miniDV camera is JVC GR DVL520A and it is better than many other cameras in this class, really. In the manual is written that I can connect another videocam to my videocam so that the 1st acts as DV OUT and the 2nd /my dvcam/ is DV IN. This means that my dvcam CAN be used as a monitor. It has S-VIDEO jack, i.e. there wouldn't be any problem to send the video signal to TV. I have not tried to use my DVcam for tape printing yet.
So, it seems that I am doing all the rules, but still nothing... Any suggestions more?
Old April 29th, 2005, 07:18 PM   #1410
Major Player

Oh poop.

I was hoping that Photo Montage would adjust my video clips to start and stop on the beat of the music.

I knew it was to good to be true. Are there any solutions out there to mark an audio timeline/sample/clip with beats, for those of us musically handicapped?

Jim
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...