Vegas Video discussions from 2003 - Page 33 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old June 27th, 2003, 04:47 PM   #481
Major Player

With the pan/crop tool on an EVENT you can pan across the image or crop it but not shrink the entire image or move it around the screen. If you want to move a whole shrunken image around the screen use the pan/crop on the TRACK and keyframe your movements.
Old June 27th, 2003, 05:40 PM   #482
Wrangler

I don't quite understand what your trying to explain. Though if Rob is in the right direction you might want to try the Track/motion tool- not pan/crop. Then again- I'm a complete Vegas newb!

Ed? Alex? ........anyone?!
Old June 27th, 2003, 06:27 PM   #483
Slash Rules!

Oh yeah. . .forgot about track motion thanks.
Old June 27th, 2003, 07:31 PM   #484
Major Player

you also might want to think about creating a mask with another layer so you can move the videos around independently of the mask.

Rob:D
Old June 27th, 2003, 08:54 PM   #485
Slash Rules!

Okay, now let's say I want to crop the video after resizing it, without it filling the screen, and without losing the aspect ratio. What I mean is, if I want to narrow the frame without "squishing" the contents within, how do I do this?
Old June 27th, 2003, 08:56 PM   #486
Major Player

Oops, I should have called it track motion. Thats the correct term.
Old June 27th, 2003, 09:05 PM   #487
Major Player

Ok, if you want to crop an event use the cookie cutter filter or the border filter.
Old June 27th, 2003, 10:00 PM   #488
Inner Circle

u could even use the free 3d plugin and resize it that way...
i find this to offer a little more variety as you can tilt the video and not have the standardish kinda pic in pic
Old June 27th, 2003, 10:25 PM   #489
Sponsor: JET DV

Pan/Crop CAN work, you just have to make the "F" window very large. The clip can then be moved around on the screen. However the best/easiest way to do this is via Track Motion.
Old June 27th, 2003, 11:17 PM   #490
Slash Rules!

Nope, can't use the plugin pac, or this post wouldn't be here. The 3d plugin pac LE, I have learned from its author, Satish, operates on both fields of video at once. This means that it will make your 60i footage look progessive in any clip where it's used. I can't have that.

In addition, I just tried the border and cookie cutter plugins. They're not doing what I want either. I'd like to crop the sides of the video without affecting the top and bottom.
Old June 28th, 2003, 03:06 AM   #491
Major Player

<<Okay, now let's say I want to crop the video after resizing it, without it filling the screen, and without losing the aspect ratio. What I mean is, if I want to narrow the frame without "squishing" the contents within, how do I do this?>>

First you size your image in track motion, and position it where you want it on the screen. Do it by dragging with the mouse or writing the right values in Size and Center boxes. Make sure the Lock aspect ratio is on.

Then you open event pan/crop. Make sure the Lock aspect ratio button is off. Unclick the stretch to fill frame square. Pull the sides of the image in to crop it. And that's it.
Old June 28th, 2003, 05:43 AM   #492

Try CROPPING the image with Pan/Crop and then resizing and positioning the image with Track Motion.
Old June 28th, 2003, 10:00 AM   #493
Major Player

With the cookie cutter you CAN crop the sides without affecting the top. For example use the square and set repeat Y to 2 and then decrease the size bar and it will crop the sides.

Also Ed is of course right about being able to shrink the image and move it around with the Pan/Crop tool on an event. However since you also want to crop the sides and dont want to use the 3d plug I think you will want to use the cookie cutter as described in conjunction with track motion.

Hey look Ed we practically have a new Vegas forum right here...(tounge in cheek). Moo/SF/DMN and now DVinfo and of course the occasional VU action.
Old July 1st, 2003, 01:22 PM   #494
Major Player

Vegas and Dual processors

Hello,

does anyone know if vegas 4 takes advantage of Two processors in a system??

Mike
Old July 1st, 2003, 01:38 PM   #495

Yes and No.

Yes, when rendering it DOES use two processors - one for video and one for audio. However, you won't see 100% usage on both processors.

However, you can run two instances of Vegas at the same time and still get good response time with two processors.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...