Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q3Q4) - Page 26 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old August 2nd, 2004, 05:05 PM   #376
Regular Crew

text written onto screen

maybe i am crazy, but i could have sworn maybe a year or so ago i saw a tutorial on how to make text that appears to be "written" onto the screen. ive searched here and CCow under numerous keywords, but alas ive come up short. (i also tried searching all forums, thinking maybe it was under Premiere or something else)

im positively sure i saw something here...can someone verify ...that im not crazy...please.

thanks again ladies and gentlemen!

Old August 2nd, 2004, 06:09 PM   #377

Washington, DC folk? Audio for Video fans?

Hey gang,

October 5-7 is the DMDC conference in tandem with the Government Expo conference. I'm the track chair for the audio tools, and will be presenting Vegas, Soundtrack, ACID, plus audio for video tracks. Mike Chenoweth and Jeffrey Fisher will be part of our team as well. If you can make it to DC, this is a great event with fabulous sessions.

You can see/learn more http://www.digitalmediadc.com/DMDC.shtml>

Lots going on there, with all the heavyweights of the biz. Come check out the VASST team in action!
http://www.vasst.com
Old August 2nd, 2004, 06:57 PM   #378
Regular Crew

I'm with you there, Barry. Squeeze will yield great results with very little work. Great program.

"I like Mankato just a little bit better than any other town in the world." -Sinclair Lewis
Old August 2nd, 2004, 07:24 PM   #379
Inner Circle

It used to be that Cleaner + the sorenson pro codec was better than squeeze since you could do 2-pass VBR with Cleaner. I'm not sure if that's still true.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 08:57 PM   #380
Sponsor: JET DV

I remember one that described using a gradient created in Photoshop and changing the luminance in order to get the text to appear on the screen. You may also be able to achieve this by using the new bezier masking tools. Also, a simple wipe may be effective.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 09:00 PM   #381
Regular Crew

Windows XP has everything hidden after the filename, so you cant see the file type (.mp3, .doc, .jpg etc.) so you have to go in and enable this function so you CAN see the extensions.

This is done by first opening My Computer

Then at the top chooser click tools and choose Folder Options

You will then get the Folder Options dialog box in front of you. On the tabs at the top, click on View then look for Hide File Extensions for known types then UNcheck this box.

Click Apply, then OK and you're done.

Go to the file you are looking to change, right click on it, and choose Rename.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 10:19 PM   #382
Regular Crew

a simple wipe would more or less reveal the title at a even pace, i kinda did something like that for a school project recently at the beginning: http://www.video-visions.us/demos/newhoriztrailer.wmv

i am doing my first wedding vid for my buddies sister and i want to create a script-looking text (cursive, almost handwritten) and then have it appear as if it was being written on screen. note that this would be a small amount of tect, such as "cliff & vicki." i imagine this would take a good deal of work even with just a few words...

perhaps the gradient / bezier idea would be better...i dont suppose you have that on your in your TTS section do you edward?

Old August 2nd, 2004, 10:34 PM   #383
Sponsor: JET DV

No I don't and just happened to remember something might have been written by "GG". Found this:

http://www.creativecow.net/forum/rea...hive=_2003|3|2
Old August 2nd, 2004, 11:05 PM   #384
Regular Crew

Thanks again Mark!
Actually I dont think I have to change it after all , I just forgot to set "Transport" in Vegas and therefor spent a couple hours stumbling around trying to figure out how to get the rendered project back to the CU VH1.

Have you tried Cineforms software with Vegas to see if it helps in editing? Is it worth a 1/2K, I am trying it in a free download with Adobe Premiere Pro right now but I really cant stand Adobes sluggishness as compared to the ease of Vegas and so I find myself limping around slowly in Adobe like I was a couple years ago when I discovered how nice Vegas was.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 11:20 PM   #385
Regular Crew

I am thinking about purchasing Connect HD from@cineform as well. I posted a thread asking for comments about the performance levels and if it really does what cineform says it does but I had only one reply. I am also using the Adobe one as a try out. It seems to speed up adobe very well but from what I have read the vegas version isnt as fast. I will probably wait until their is a downloadable demo to try. 500 bucks is a little steep for a blind purchase.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 11:21 PM   #386
Regular Crew

superb, thanks for the response...unfortunately the main editing machine is clogged up with rendering...so i will have to give this whirl tomorrow...

thanks Edward! you are the man!

Old August 3rd, 2004, 01:58 AM   #387
Regular Crew

I thing there is a veg on the sundance site that does this.
Old August 3rd, 2004, 02:54 AM   #388
Inner Circle

U can use Bezier Masking for a more finite approach... very elegant and keyframed :)
Old August 3rd, 2004, 08:23 AM   #389
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Glenn Chan : It used to be that Cleaner + the sorenson pro codec was better than squeeze since you could do 2-pass VBR with Cleaner. I'm not sure if that's still true. -->>>

Glenn, I did direct comparisons using the 2-pass VBR encoding of Cleaner XL + Sorenson Pro 3 codec vs. Squeeze + Sorenson Pro 3 codec. The results weren't even close--in favor of Squeeze. I used to use Cleaner, but Squeeze has far surpassed the quality. I spent 10 hours tweaking Cleaner and ouputting many test files and couldn't achieve what took only two tries and 30 minutes in Squeeze. After outputting some extremely good WM9 files from Squeeeze, I will be uninstalling Cleaner. I had thought maybe I could skip a step and output directly from Vegas--but it turns out to be a poor option.
Old August 3rd, 2004, 08:51 AM   #390
Inner Circle

I didn't know that!

By the way, how does sorenson3 compare to Windows Media 9?
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...