Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2005 - Page 97 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Closed Thread

Old August 27th, 2005, 07:44 PM   #1441
Wrangler

Hi Marc,

I'm doing a lot of experimenting with 24p with my XL2 and PPro 1.5.1 but have a ways to go yet. As best I can tell so far, the PPro capture module is pure 60i (even showing a 29.97 timecode for 24pA and 24pN footage) and so it shouldn't matter whether or not there is a pull-down scheme in the subcode that'll tell the timeline it is 24pA or 24pN footage. In fact, as yet even the Device setting (which camcorder is being captured from) doesn't make any difference at all; I've tried capturing both 24pA and 24pN footage using the XL2 it was shot with and a GL2, each done with both the GL2 Device Setting or the Panasonic DVX100p Device Setting, and it didn't seem to affect the captured file.

As far as putting the 60i footage on a 24fps timeline, I think you're better off to work with the 60i in a 30fps project using non-drop frame timecode base, export to 24pA, then import that to the 24fps. If you work with the 60i footage directly in the 24fps timeline, I think you'll probably get either a stutter when every 4th of the 60i frames is repeated to fill enough time for 4 of the 24p frames (five 60i frames), or with time stetching, there'll be interlace artifact introduced. Since you'll probably need to create a 60i project anyway, might just as well capture to it and keep the workflows separate until everything is 24p.

But don't take all that to the bank, because I'm early on in my testing. Maybe someone who has already worked more with mixed footage can step in here -- again, I'm still experimenting and trying figure out how "A" frame flags are handled and so forth.
Old August 28th, 2005, 07:04 PM   #1442
Regular Crew

Try uninstalling then reinstalling your program. This happend to me after I cleaned up my harddrive one time, I think I deleted somthing important. After the reinstallation it worked just fine. If you have not recently cleaned up your drive than this might not be the problem, just figured I'd throw in my opinion though. Good luck
Old August 28th, 2005, 07:56 PM   #1443
Trustee

I installed QT 7 (the first preview release, not the latest third preview release) on my Windows install I use for non-editing tasks, such as Internet surfing. I also have Premiere Pro installed on this setup as well, and I was able to export video to the QT H.264 format. However, I don't edit on this Windows install, and I don't have After Effects on it, either, so I can't say what, if any, ill effects QT 7 may have on these Adobe programs. I haven't installed QT 7 on my main Windows editing setup yet, and don't plan to until its fairly settled that QT 7 won't mess things up. Even then I'll have a Ghost backup to fall back on if something does go bad.

At this point I'd highly recommend against installing QT 7 on your main editing rig. The risk isn't worth it at this point.
Old August 28th, 2005, 08:03 PM   #1444
Inner Circle

QT7 is not compatabe with some After Effects programs. When I put in on my computer, AE could find a usable QT program and disabled it. I had to finally dump QT7 and AE. Reinstall QT6, then reinstall AE 5.5 again. I'll wait until that is fixed.

Mike
Old August 29th, 2005, 03:03 PM   #1445
Regular Crew

Error with after effects and PP

I made an opening sequence to a movie using after effects, when I tried to import it into PP it says "file format not supported". What does this mean? These two programs should support each others files, right? Is there somthing I'm missing?
Old August 29th, 2005, 04:08 PM   #1446
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Parsh
I made an opening sequence to a movie using after effects, when I tried to import it into PP it says "file format not supported". What does this mean? These two programs should support each others files, right? Is there somthing I'm missing?
I have not used mine as much as I should yet, but I think you have to export the file as an AVI or Quicktime movie or another file option before it can go into PP. If you just save as... .it is an After Effects only file I believe.

Just click export and choose the file type. I hope this helps you.

Mike
Old August 29th, 2005, 05:12 PM   #1447
Regular Crew

I tried that and I can now import it into PP but it won't play in the timline. It will play in the right side of the monitor window but not playing it through the timeline.
Old August 29th, 2005, 05:23 PM   #1448
Major Player

I thought you had to choose make movie to render out an avi file to import into PP
Old August 29th, 2005, 05:41 PM   #1449
Regular Crew

I want to point out that my post was about editing both PAL and NTSC in one timeline with Adobe Elements. I also only talked about NTSC to PAL and not the other way around. I also only talked about conversions within the NLE and not outside it or indeed seperately before being added to the timeline.
I strongly recommend you experiment yourself. Pal may work perfect for you in NTSC. Think of every action movie you saw that was filmed in 24fps and converted to ntsc, they look pretty good to me. I only meant to add perspective to your dilema and by no means any concrete terms you should follow.
For action even some lower res. footage should allow you to experiment with PAl to NTSC artifacting and rendering based on action.
Old August 29th, 2005, 05:45 PM   #1450
Inner Circle

Quote:
I tried that and I can now import it into PP but it won't play in the timline. It will play in the right side of the monitor window but not playing it through the timeline.

The best way to make the AVI file I can see is to click on Composition in the menu bar, go to Add to render que, then set your output to avi and where you want it saved and then render it. That makes a high quality avi file to inport to PP.

Add to render que is under the Composition tab, render window is under the window tab.

Mike
Old August 29th, 2005, 05:51 PM   #1451
Regular Crew

Got it to work, thanks for the quick responses. My movie is saved from failure.
Old August 29th, 2005, 05:57 PM   #1452
Inner Circle

Quote:
Got it to work, thanks for the quick responses. My movie is saved from failure.

Just an added note.

I made the avi files in several different ways, (1) render to avi, (2)export to avi, and (3)export to avi with the setting set very high. I found that the rendered movie is the largest by far. The render to avi is uncompressed, and probably the highest quality.

Mike
Old August 29th, 2005, 08:53 PM   #1453
Major Player

60i to 60p slo-mo?

I remember reading an article about someone who took 60i footage and converted it to 60p for a slightly slo-mo look. I believe he used After Effects. Is this just a de-interlacing issue and if so would there be any image/movement issues to contend with?
I know I've seen this article before I just can't remember where.
Old August 29th, 2005, 09:18 PM   #1454
Wrangler

Eric,
I've moved your post over to the Premiere forum for better exposure; really wasn't specific to the XL2. There are quite a few threads discussing slow motion using various applications, but I don't think I found the one that you're looking for.
Old August 30th, 2005, 07:52 PM   #1455
Trustee

Perhaps you are referring to stretching 60i video by 200%? That would effectively give you one individual field per frame, instead of two fields per frame. In other words it would be 60p, although since the source was 60i the quality wouldn't be spectacular. Just make sure frame blending in After Effects is turned off. (If you change the speed to anything other than 200%, then turn frame blending on.)
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite