DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2006 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/57236-adobe-premiere-premiere-pro-discussions-2006-a.html)

Lloyd Choi November 7th, 2006 03:23 AM

PPro 1.5... a couple exporting issues

I'm trying to get a copy of this music video to someone for a beta dub, so I need it in the highest quality possible. Problem is, I don't have the best system.

When I try to "export to tape", linked to my DVX (not sure if camera makes any difference), I keep getting these huge glitches with the blue screen of death popping in from time to time. Everything just craps out, video and audio.

so the beta dubber said an uncompressed Quicktime file on DVD would do. But when I try to do that, it craps out on me at 99.9% of the render. Says it's an Unknown Error. When I try to play it, it says it's not a movie file.

Anyone know how to fix this problem? I'm thinking it's because my computer is crap...

or, is there any other way of getting a full quality copy to the beta dubber?

This is for TV release, so I need it to be thebest quality possible.

Thanks for any help, guys!
-Lloyd

Graham Hickling November 7th, 2006 10:57 AM

Try exporting to an uncompressed avi rather than mov and see if that works?

I assume you have sufficient empty drivespace? Maybe worth defragmenting the drive you are storing to....

Michael Y Wong November 7th, 2006 03:10 PM

batch export function in PP2.0?

Hey guys is there a batch export function in PP2.0?

My workflow after editing is rendering all my HDV sequences (basically individual chapters) in HDV. But I have to do them one by one which really sucks!

Can't I just select all the sequences and then select some sort of Batch Export function so that my system will automatically render them one after an other in separate files?

Thanks in advance!

Erick Santos November 8th, 2006 07:37 AM

Razored(spelling?) cuts

Once you razor a cut in Adobe Premier is ther a way to merge them back together. Thanks in advance.

Graham Hickling November 8th, 2006 07:51 AM

If you only JUST razored it, use undo.

Otherwise, what I do is activate the 'rolling edit' tool, and drag the end of the first clip over the top of the second clip until its back to the original length.

I dont think there's a 'glue' tool in Premiere, the way there is in some other apps.

Cal Johnson November 8th, 2006 03:07 PM

You can also use the History Palette to go back to the step before you cut, but I usually use Graham's suggestion of stretching the clip back out again, or just deleting the clip all together and then bringing it back into the timeline from the source window with the original in/out points.

Al Kozak November 9th, 2006 07:32 PM

Premiere Pro 2.0 Audio Question

When connecting 2 mic's on my Sony PD-170 I get channel 1 coming out of the left speaker and channel 2 coming out of the right speaker. During editing how do I make the audio come out of both speakers. I want channel 1 & 2 to output on both speakers.

Ben Winter November 9th, 2006 10:19 PM

There are two audio effects, labelled "Fill Left" and "Fill Right". Put the "Fill Left" effect on the audio on the right channel and the "Fill Right" effect on the left. If it's a single stereo track, you should duplicate the track and apply one effect to each.

There might be an easier way to do this but I haven't encountered this situation so I don't know off the top of my head.

James Huenergardt November 9th, 2006 11:42 PM

HELP - Can't capture tape via firewire.

Hi there,

Just finished a shoot for a commercial using my VX-1000 and Z1U. I used the VX for my underwater shot of a fish being landed using the client's landing net: http://www.reelinspirations.com/adve...underwater.htm

Anyway, the tape plays fine via firewire using the Premiere Pro 2 capture program OR MS Movie Maker.

It also plays fine in my Z1U as well.

However, if I attempt to capture using firewire, never comes up with the 'what do you want to name this file' dialog. The file it writes out is about 126K and it won't play.

I tried capturing from both my Z1U and my VX-1000 via firewire and it won't do it in either Premiere Pro 2 or MS Movie Maker.

I finally had to play it out of my camera and capture via S-Video through my Canopus ADVC110 converter.

Any ideas?

Jim

Leo Pepingco November 10th, 2006 12:22 AM

That tracer thing in Illustrator

G'day everyone,

I was parusing through the Total training DVD that comes with the production bundle Adobe makes, and I came across a deomstration on how to make a still look hand drawn and cartoonish etc. I was able to replicate the effect, however, he mentied using After Effects and I saw he was able to get a moving video of the same effect.

I've tried so hard to replicate that, even going step by step in the DVD (But the DVD is not a training video as I found, just a "Here's a cool feature" run down) I looked through the Adobe forums, and cant seem to find what I'm looking for (I couldnt see a search function) so I guess, I'll ahve to ask anyone here who knows how to apply the "tracing effect" to a video instead of just playing with images.

Leo

Pete Bauer November 10th, 2006 07:57 AM

Is this the kind of thing you were looking for?

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=73061

Denis Danatzko November 10th, 2006 08:41 AM

Ditto.

The only ways I'm aware of are what Cal and Graham mention.

I was disappointed to learn that PPro 2 doesn't have a "combine clips" feature. Even Pinnacle Studio has it, and I expected an NLE as expensive as PPro 2 to have it. At least there's a work-around. I hope it works well for you.

Bart Walczak November 10th, 2006 09:23 AM

Or you can try Source channel mapping to divide your audio into one or two mono tracks. Just select your clip, then go to Clip->Audio Options->Source channel mapping.

BTW, it works only if you haven't placed the clip in the timeline yet. Of you have, use Fill left or fill right filters.

Leo Pepingco November 10th, 2006 05:22 PM

Thanks so much Pete, I guess I never found it in this forum's search because I didnt know the terminology. I still have ALOT to learn about the Adobe Products. It was cheap when I found it, and I thought, if I wanted to save some money, I'd jump in the deep end and get the pack.

Now I'm here sitting in front of my desk with my mouth still open to the power of some of the apps they have. I almost dropped dead when took an old video I made (an avi) sitting in my computer and put into Encore. Totally beats the DVD software I use to have, which had a choice between A cloud background a bookshelf, or a roll of film on the floor.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction - Vector graphics.... Now why didn't I remember that term...

Thanks again

Erick Santos November 12th, 2006 09:15 AM

Adobe Premier 2

Ive finished editing but after i export and take a look at the video the effects such as transitions arent there. anyone can help me?

Cal Johnson November 12th, 2006 11:22 AM

Erik, what did you export out to? (What option did you choose).

Ed Smith November 12th, 2006 12:38 PM

Hi James,

This sounds like a very strange problem. If its not working in movie maker and premiere then this would lead me to think that its an issue to do with the firewire port, firewire cable or operating system.

Is it possible for you to try your cameras and firewire cable on another system?

How are you capturing, via timecode in-out, or a simple crash capture?

There are various other freeware DV capture programs that you can use to see if it does the same thing. theres a few on this website: http://www.videohelp.com/tools?s=33#33

Cheers,

Graham Hickling November 12th, 2006 06:11 PM

When you say "aren't there" do you mean the original footage is still there, unchanged, or that you no image at all?

If the former, check your Export/ Video settings ... make sure the codec specified there is correct and that "Recompress" is checked.

Chris Vaglio November 13th, 2006 10:56 AM

Color Correcyion Issues in PP 1.5

We are currently color correcting our short film 1.5 and are having an issue with the color corrector. It is clipping the whites as soon as we put it on and turing them grey. Has anyon else had this problem? We have tried everything but nothing seems to work.

Thanks
Chris

Marco Wagner November 13th, 2006 06:31 PM

How can I do this in PPRO2.0?

I was looking at videos to kind of study for an up and coming project and came across this video with some killer motion trails. How is this done?

Here is the link to the video I saw the best ones in http://www.ifilm.com/video/2726866

Calvin Wallace November 14th, 2006 03:10 AM

Exporting (recompression)

Alright so I am exporting my DV-AVI files, and there's the option to "recompress" it, which I always leave unchecked, assuming that recompressing will lose quality.

Can anyone confirm what the recompress option actually does and what is the best setting for it?

Dave Ferdinand November 14th, 2006 07:35 AM

Try the echo function for the trails but not sure how to get them to have that psychedelic color.

Graham Hickling November 14th, 2006 08:25 AM

My understanding is that leaving it unchecked allows PPro to "smart render" - that is, if you are exporting to the same format & codec as the original footage it will only recompress those parts of the timeline that have had effects, etc, applied.

Which is a good thing - it will render faster and retain original quality in all the unedited sections of the timeline.

Calvin Wallace November 14th, 2006 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham Hickling
My understanding is that leaving it unchecked allows PPro to "smart render" - that is, if you are exporting to the same format & codec as the original footage it will only recompress those parts of the timeline that have had effects, etc, applied.

Which is a good thing - it will render faster and retain original quality in all the unedited sections of the timeline.

That would make sense. Thank you very much. Can anyone else confirm?

Adam Bray November 14th, 2006 05:03 PM

Correct way to edit long clips?

I was not sure which section to post this in. I use PPro, so I thought I would ask here.

What's the correct way to edit clips? For example, suppose I have a minute long clip, and there to parts in there that are say, 10 seonds each that I want to use.

Up till now I drop long clips into the timeline and compress the ends so I just end up with the little clip that I want. Or should I be "scissoring" off the parts that I don't want?

I find that when I "compress" the ends, I can later make fine adjustments if needed, which I like. But was not sure if this is how it's supposed to be done.

Mat Thompson November 14th, 2006 05:29 PM

Setting up a project in PPro2.0

Hi guys

I hope you guys can help me get my head around setting up my projects in PPro2.0.

When you start a new project it has a whole bunch of formats to choose and it seems once you've chosen a format, changing it is not possible, so I guess this is my first question?

If I want to work with 16:9 footage captured from my XL2 in 25P which of the project settings would I use? DV pal widescreen would seem the right choice but while it says 16:9 it also still says 720x576 which is 4:3.

I have just done this edited my piece (in the project windows it looks 16:9) but when I come to export.....its stretched back to the 4:3 !!

What am I overlooking or not understanding to set this project up correctly????

Many thanks
Mat

Ben Winter November 14th, 2006 07:28 PM

Pixel aspect ratio. (is what you're overlooking).

If I have a 720x480 project with square pixels, I have a 4:3 project (actually they're not quite square, but close enough). If that same 720x480 project has 1.2 ratio rectangular pixels, I have a 16:9 project. There are the same about of pixels in both, but in the latter, the pixels are 1.2 times as wide as they are tall. (This is NTSC not PAL btw)

The 16:9 preset you want to choose is correct, because it is telling you that while there are 720x576 pixels, the aspect ratio is 16:9. (in PAL this means the pixels are 1.422 times as wide as they are tall)

So, when you export, you need to specify the pixel aspect ratio. This is under the settings screen on export, under Video. Choose "D1/DV PAL Widescreen (1.422)"

Ben Winter November 14th, 2006 07:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Double click the clip in the Project bin. It should appear in the Preview (left) window. Play or shuttle to the start point of the part you want to use. Hit the key 'i' (for "in" point) and a marker will appear in the preview window timeline. Play or shuttle to the end of that point (this doesn't have to be exact) and hit 'o' (for "out" point). Now, click and drag from the preview window video to the timeline. That section you just marked in and out will appear in your timeline. You can make adjustments to the length all you want afterwards in the timeline by "compressing" them.

This doesn't just apply for "long" clips, but for editing in general.

Your way works, but is bulky and generally doesn't work for most projects where there just isn't enough room on the timeline to use it as your "cutting board." The generally accepted workflow is cut up a clip in the preview window, adjust on the timeline.

Adam Bray November 15th, 2006 12:54 AM

Cool, thanks. I was close. But you're way works better, cause like you said I don't have to use the timeline as an "cutting board" which I noticed was kinda annoying.

Adam Bray November 15th, 2006 01:55 AM

"Dreamy effect?"

Is there a way to produce a "dreamy effect" in Ppro?. I have situation where a girl is thinking or dreaming about the good old days with her boyfriend who's passed away. With clips of them having a picnic, sitting on a dock watching sailboats, feeding ducks at a pond, him picking a flower for her.....that type of stuff.

I'm thinking it should maybe be in B&W and be "hazy" or "foggy". Anyone have any thoughts on how I could produce this visualization in Pro?

Maybe highly oversaturate it when I shoot it, or do it in post?

Ben Winter November 15th, 2006 02:13 AM

1. Copy the clip in the timeline you want to make "dreamy"
2. Paste a duplicate exactly over the existing clip, so you have two tracks of exactly the same clip right overtop each other.
3. Add a Gaussian Blur to the top layer. usually values between 20-50 work, it's your preference.
4. Change the top clip's opacity to anywhere between 40-80%. Again, this is preference.
5. Tweak.

This is known as "diffusion" and this is an easy way to achieve it. There are other methods, but I find this one to be the easiest to work with. An older method before computer graphics was to rub Vaseline on the lens (what a mess!)

Mat Thompson November 15th, 2006 05:56 AM

Yeah, this makes sense I guess. I played with export settings and got things the way I wanted....thanks for the help:)

In terms of frame rate I guess you should always match up to your shooting rate. Ie 25p or 50i. There are a number of presets for 24p !?? Where does this come into things?

Greg Boston November 15th, 2006 06:42 AM

Adam,

Another option to consider rather than full b/w would be to de-saturate the colors quite a bit. Helps provide the difference of reality (bright, saturated), and dreaming (low sat, muted colors).

That would be in addition to Ben's suggestion to diffuse the images.

Also, you'll want to use some type of transition that cue's the viewer from reality to dream footage and vice versa.

-gb-

Brendan Marnell November 15th, 2006 01:00 PM

PPro 1.5 Where's the handbrake?

I can't get the play/toggle button to respond in the monitor window or project window in Premiere Pro 1.5. Jog button moves the frames along fine and step fwd & step back work as well; arrow keys on keyboard also move frames. This first happened abruptly today when I had nearly finished a long project ... the project is all there and can be "jogged" through, minus the sound. When I import other projects or clips and try to play them the same thing happens ... no response from play/toggle button. Playback Settings appear to be as normal. I can only guess that I did the equivalent of putting on the handbrake by accident!

Where is the handbrake, please? What have I done stupid?

WMP plays all clips perfectly with sound.

Deke Ryland November 15th, 2006 01:26 PM

Size of Scratch Disks

If you had a seperate hard drive specifically to be your video editing 'scratch disk'... how big should this drive be? I generally work on projects that are 5-10 mins max (not long at all). Would a 74GB hard drive be enough space for a scratch disk? Also, has anyone seen any perfomance gains by using a 10k RPM drive as their scratch disk as opposed to 7,200rpm?

Michael Behr November 15th, 2006 01:29 PM

what your saying is the space bar isnt working on the time line i think...i dont know all the technical terms for most of the buttons but the last time i had that happen i just restarted the computer. and when it did it again i upgraded to pro2.

Ben Winter November 15th, 2006 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deke Ryland
If you had a seperate hard drive specifically to be your video editing 'scratch disk'... how big should this drive be? I generally work on projects that are 5-10 mins max (not long at all). Would a 74GB hard drive be enough space for a scratch disk? Also, has anyone seen any perfomance gains by using a 10k RPM drive as their scratch disk as opposed to 7,200rpm?

It depends on the complexity of your movie. You say 5-10 minutes isn't long, but I spent all summer on a project that takes up 600GB and it's only 15 minutes. Every time I want to export a render uncompressed is another 200GB.

There really isn't any noticable performance gain with a raptor drive, I wouldn't bother with one. Get a 250GB SATA drive (assuming your motherboard supports it) and you should be ok for simple projects (assuming you're doing SD...HDV is a different story).

Deke Ryland November 15th, 2006 02:29 PM

Hey Ben... yea.. I'm actually doing HDV now. That is why I am upgrading my PC and getting a dedicated scratch drive.

I am so confused about how scratch drives work and from the little I've found about how to use them optimally, it seems like it is every other configuration other than the one I have.

I am looking at a 4 drive configuration as follows:

- 120 GB 10k rpm SATA (primary OS)
- 74 GB 10k rpm SATA (scratch disk)
- 500 GB 7,200rpm SATA (1st media storage)
- 500 GB 7,200rpm SATA (2nd media storage)

I'm definitely trying to optimize the efficiency of the scratch disk, but I have no idea how much data is actually stored on the scratch disk when working with a project. So it sounds like even 160 GB isnt enough for a scratch disk when editting HDV? Also, I wouldn't see a performance increase with the 10k drive? Thanks a bunch.

Ben Winter November 15th, 2006 03:39 PM

Help! "damaged project" in 1.5!

Hey,
I recently tried opening a 1.5 project in 2.0. WITHOUT SAVING, i exited 2.0, and now I can't open the project *or any of the autosave projects* in 1.5. Due to AspectHD 2.0 compatibility issues I can't edit in 2.0. What went wrong? I can still open them in 2.0, but I need to open them in 1.5. Help!!!

K. Tessman November 15th, 2006 04:57 PM

What happens when you try to open the project in 1.5? That is, by "can't", what sort of error message do you get, does it just crash/freeze, etc.?

Also, have you tried the oft-recommended Premiere-project-defibrillator trick of importing the damaged project into a new, empty project?