DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2006 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/57236-adobe-premiere-premiere-pro-discussions-2006-a.html)

Jon Pavli August 7th, 2006 09:23 PM

Chris,

Thanks for the tip and suggestion...I will see what I can do about the video.

Cheers, Jon

James Lundy August 8th, 2006 06:03 AM

Where's my audio monitor?

Crikey!

My audio mixer has vanished, and won't appear onscreen. This is even after I've clicked on it under the Window menu.

Any suggestions?

James Lundy August 8th, 2006 09:36 AM

Never mind I got it back.

I just opened up an old project, and saves it with a new name after importing all the required files. Might not be the best way to do it, but it was the only way that worked.

:)

Jim Lee August 8th, 2006 09:49 AM

Perspective get choppy

Hi guys, i've seem to run into a bit of a problem while editing.

When i bring in psd image with transparency into my video, and apply some perspective effect in it, I notice that the perspective animation of the image is noticeably choppy, makes it look like its going at 10 fps, while the other stuff in the video is fine.

This is in the exported DV avi video, not in any compressed format.

Any insights?

Denis Potasnikov August 9th, 2006 12:31 AM

Transcoding Error message or Can't Compile Movie message

I have a project of 75 minutes without much effects or transitions.While burning to DVD, it shows the transcoding error on about 25% of encoding.
A week ago I did the project of 65 minutes and it all went perfect.
Now this error message appears.I also cannot export the projects as a file:"can't complie movie" appears.
But:I split the project into two parts (30 mins and 45 mins) and burned them separately on different one-sided dvd disks. But this is not a solution as it needs to be on one disk as a normal movie.Has anybody had the same problem?

Steven Gotz August 9th, 2006 03:08 PM

Next time just go back to the default workspace.

Chris Barcellos August 13th, 2006 11:07 AM

Quicktime Output from

I trying to render a Quicktime file from a HDV 1080i project (for posting in DVChallenge). I wanted two levels for my 3 minute film. One about 25 megs and one around 100 mgs. So far, I have rendered and come up with nothing but a 2kb file after a render of a couple of hours. That tells me I am trying to render to something that the QT encoder won't work with. Anybody got some sure fire setting, including what actual encoder to use (Sorenson, Sorenson 3, or what, size, etc.) I do have QuicktimePro, as alternative, but seem to have similar problems. In that case I rendered to an intermediate (Cineform) avi file, and tried export after opening in QT, but it did not work either.

Thanks in advance.

Janice DeMille August 14th, 2006 06:34 AM

Widescreen to standard conversion

Hello all, I have a project that was shot in two different formats. One is widescreen and the other standard. When I import the widescreen as standard I lose image quality, ditto when I import as widescreen and then pull it into my standard project. Does anyone have an idea how to keep the picture sharp when doing this? Are there any settings I could use?

thanks

Michael Littlejohn August 15th, 2006 05:15 PM

Getting movement on stills and a film look?

1. In Premiere Pro 1.5, what standard effect looks most like a film look? I can't find it.

2. I was watching ABC World News Tonight and they do a lot of stills, but add just a little bit of motion to the picture to give it a nice effect. I tried using the motion effect in the Fixed Effect Control and it works, but it's just a bit jittery in the preview window. How can I get it seamless and smooth?

Tim Bickford August 16th, 2006 08:54 AM

Michael,

To make things a bit smoother try lengthening the time of the still image in your timeline. (i.e. 10 to 15 seconds.). Have your pans move across the entire length of the image. If you have a gradual pan from (say left to right) try stoping the pan a few seconds before the image reaches then end of time. I sometimes start zoomed in - then slowing zoom out. Again... if the image is short on the timeline (i.e. couple of seconds) your pans and zooms are going to be very fast.

Take a look at some of Ken Burns stuff (i.e. Civil War, Baseball). He is the master at working with stills. You will need a higher resolution image to get good quality zooms.

As for the film look... are trying to get finished video of stills to look like old used film (i.e. scrathes and dust) or are you attempting to get a cinematic look?

I am not aware of any way (in P-Pro 1.5) to get the scrathes and dust look unless you use a plugin (i.e. Magic Bullet). Perhaps P-Pro-2.0 has something.

Hope that helps..

Tim

Michael Littlejohn August 16th, 2006 10:48 AM

Export to DVD...problems

Well, i'm having a hard time getting my 6 minute video w/ effects to burn to my DVD player.

Actually, let me go back. I tried a smaller clip to test the process and it worked fine.

So, I rendered my 6 minute video, chose File>Export>Export to DVD. At that time it reads my DVD Burner in my machine, gives it the go-ahead by making the record button active and away I go. Under the default settings it gets hung up almost immediatley, If I reduce the quality, it lets it burn all the way to the end and right before it fnishes, it says that an error occurs.

Is this a setting thing or is the file too large? Why did it work w/ the smaller clip, but not with the larger one?

Also, If I use the encoder, how can I burn the video and audio to make a DVD? What program does a good job of this? Can I do the final product in Premiere? I did use the encoder, and was able to save the file, however, when I try to upload the files in NERO, it does not recognize them????

Bart Walczak August 16th, 2006 02:40 PM

I use Adobe Encore but you can use any DVD authoring tool for files exported via Media Encoder with MPEG2-DVD settings.

If you export your clips via Media Encoder, do you still get the same error?

If you render your project into a single DV file and then export from a new timeline, do you get the error too?

What is your system's specs?

Best regards
Bart Walczak

Michael Littlejohn August 16th, 2006 02:51 PM

Audio Effects, do you use them?

I just got my project up and running and I have lots of raw audio that is laid over the original footage. It sounds ok. (Documentery sytle)

Are there any standard effects that you like to use to "professionalize" the sound, or do you guys like to keep the raw sound?

Nick Weeks August 16th, 2006 03:07 PM

What I've heard to do with voice overs is make a copy of the voice track (so you have 2 tracks), apply compression to one track, and leave the other as is... then mix the two together. This is supposed to give it a nice "full" but still dynamic sound.

I've never actually tried it, but it sounds feasable

Steve Wolla August 16th, 2006 10:01 PM

I'm running Premiere Pro 1.5 and am also having problems that are similar in nature. I think That I was able to make Export to DVD work alright, but....I cannot render down to a MPEG2 or MPEG2-DVD using the Media Encoder. I get an error message that states "Adobe Premire Pro failed to return a video frame--cancelling operation".
Are these common problems with Premiere? Is there a fix?
My film is 39 minutes in length. Somehow last friday I made it work, and got a MPEG@ file that I can export to my DVD authoring program (Roxio Easy Media 8). But I cannot repeat it.
On another project of only 7 minutes long, I got the same message and it came back and said there was a "transcoding error". My presets were for MPEG2-DVD
"NTSC 4x3 High Quality 7mb cbr 1 pass". I am not at all sure this is correct, I am new to DVD authoring. Any help would sure be appreciated.
SW

Jacob Walker August 17th, 2006 08:51 AM

A "professionalize" sound comes from a "professionalize" recording. Any audio source that is recorded professionally generally will not require as much post work for it to sound great.

An EQ and a compressor are the two most common used tools to enhance an audio clip. Go to wikipedia and read their articles on “Audio level compression” and “equalization”. To be honest it’s not the tools you use, but how you use them. A poor recording will require better tools to fix in post. I’ve used everything from premiere plug-ins to Adobe auditions, waves, universal audio, and renting professional studios to do mixing, or post work. I have gotten professional results with all different tools.

Sorry I’m not giving you a magic formula for a “professional” sound, but that’s because there is none. I approach every clip with “what is this clip needs” and “what sounds bad that needs to be taken out”. Half the time when you fix one the other will fix itself.

Lots of people on this board are a one man show. So just like video, to get good results you have to study, and practice. Once you have some head knowledge you can analyze professional sounds, and then apply all that learning to your recordings.

Especially in the recording industry everyone has their way of doing things and their opinions on what sounds “good”. That’s why it’s best to study up, listen to what you know is done by pros, and then make the decisions yourself on what is “pro” sounding. Nicks suggestion is a good suggestion, to take the same track double it apply different effects and then mix them together is quick and dirty way to get more volume and life out of a clip that seems to be dull and quiet. Again though a properly recorded clip will hold its own with smaller amounts of processing. But most times we work with less than perfect situations, so experience and trusting your ears are the most important.

Did you have any specific questions like a clip that you think lacks something and how to fix it? There is no right and wrong, whatever your ears tell you is what counts.

Bart Walczak August 18th, 2006 03:42 PM

What is your system specs? If you have not enough memory, these effects can be quite common. Also, I had a lot of troubles on AthlonXP 3000+ and Soltek mainboard, definately one of the worst configurations to work with Adobe Premiere.

Are you able to export your project to a DV file? Try making a new project and inserting the DV file and then exporting it to DVD or using the Media Encoder. Do you still get the mistakes?

If you haven't updated to 1.5.1, it would be wise to do so, there is also a fix for Adobe Media Encoder somewhere on the MainConcept site for the Pro 1.5 version. I don't remember the URL, but if you type it in google, you should find it.

Hope this helps.

David Walding August 19th, 2006 01:03 PM

Movement issues on Projector- AP Encoding

I have a video I produced in AP 2.0 that looks great on the computer, and even looks great in several formats of MPG on another computer. The problem is that when it is shown on a projector; when moving PIP video floats across the screen it seems to cyclically hesitate or jump. Only the PIP appears to do this, the background video remains stable. I am wondering if there is an Adobe sync effect or video affect that will fix this? I am suspecting a difference in sync between the base video and the PIP floating, if that is possible. Note that I am aware that I am looking at adjusting the video process to help the projector--which is probably the issue anyway. All of this leads me to ask question two; is there a better mpg encoder out there to use that is affordable and beats the AP version? I know that I discovered that with Windows Media Encoding.
Please give your ideas on both questions.

Michael Littlejohn August 20th, 2006 07:37 PM

Looking for a transition...

I've seen it in on screen interviews often lately...

Best I can describe it would be a "solarize" transition. I "solars" out or "whites" out quickly....almost like a "flash."

Any transitions in Premiere like that? I can't find any. I'm using 1.5.

Nick Weeks August 20th, 2006 08:52 PM

Additive dissolve might be what you're looking for... either that or dip to color dissolve set to white. The names might be different in Premiere... I use FCP, but I've seen those transitions in Premiere also, just can't remember the names

Michael Littlejohn August 20th, 2006 10:09 PM

Nick,

thanks....somehow I overlooked the additive disolve. Perfecto!

Nick Weeks August 20th, 2006 10:18 PM

It's one of my favorites... goes well with faster music

Christopher Lefchik August 21st, 2006 09:31 AM

Sounds like you might be rendering to QuickTime Alternates. See this thread for more details: QT Alternate Download problem

The only really good QuickTime codec included with the QuickTime Player and Premiere Pro is the Apple H.264 codec. Of course, H.264 encoded video requires viewers to have the QuickTime 7 Player installed.

When encoding to QuickTime, be aware the Adobe Media Encoder's bit rate slider is very inaccurate. Setting it to about 23-25 Kbps should give you an approximately 300-400 Kbps file.

Marco Wagner August 24th, 2006 11:26 AM

Do you have ANY blank/empty spaces between scenes or clips?

Ariel Fleischer August 27th, 2006 05:36 AM

Adobe Premiere 2.0 languages?

Hello,

I installed Adobe Premiere 2.0 but it's all English. I really want the interface to be German. Is there any way to change the language or even download and add it?

Thanks in advance!

Pete Bauer August 27th, 2006 06:22 AM

You should be able to select the language during setup. It is one of the first screens to appear.

Ariel Fleischer August 27th, 2006 07:59 AM

Really?

Because in my case it just asked me to choose the language for the License Agreement and I did chose German... but for the interface language it didn't even ask. Is there any way to change the language afterwards?

Edit: Got it! I was just running the wrong Installer. There were many on the CD!

Thanks a lot!

Lisa Shofner August 28th, 2006 10:29 AM

Premiere Pro 2.0 - PC setup

Given the following statistics, how well would this system run Premier Pro 2.0 in your opinion?

- Pentium D dual core 2.66Ghz
- 1gig of DDR2 ram (two 512 sticks for dual channel hotness)
- DVD read/writer
- 256 meg onboard video card (yes, its shared)

What if I double the ram and add a good video card?

What about running FCP on this system (if it was loaded with OSX of course)?

Paul Cuoco August 28th, 2006 11:39 AM

The system you have spec'd would run OK. Shared video graphics are terrible for video work, though. Absolutely add a good video card. I've used both nVida and ATI and had good results, so I'll leave thata discussion to others. It's really essential for either Premiere or FCP, especially if you plan on doing any HD. In fact the MacBooks that have shared video aren't "approved" to even run FCP for this reason.

Ram's OK, but more ram can never hurt.

Nick Posen August 29th, 2006 09:31 PM

Premiere pro 2.0 morph effect?!?

Hey, When every Im watching shows on tv (for example mtv cribs) they do a cool morph transition, and I have no idea how to do it in premiere pro 2.0. Anyone know? thanks -Nick

Bart Walczak August 30th, 2006 05:10 AM

Decklink Extreme anyone?

Hello,

Has any of you tried using Decklink HD Extreme with Adobe Premiere Pro? I have heard that there are some problems, but no specifics.

I would be grateful for any information.

Best regards

Enrique Galvis August 30th, 2006 08:22 AM

I don't know if there is a plug in for Ppro with this but "Winmorph" does an excellent job as a stand alone or premiere 6.x plug-in and I think it also works under Vegas.
Best of all is a freebie.

Matt Vanecek August 30th, 2006 10:29 AM

PPro 2.0 + Surcode license question

For those of you who have upgraded to PPro 2.0 from 1.5.x, does the Surcode license still work with 2.0? I have PPro 1.5 and the Surcode license, and I really don't want to have to shell out another chunk o' change just because I upgraded PPro..

Thanks,
Matt

Miguel Lombana August 30th, 2006 10:50 AM

Premier Suite - Videos from Launch

A while ago one of the websites put the product launch of the Adobe Suite online in a 4 part quicktime series, they showed the Adobe guys going through all the products and the interworkings of each.

Does anyone have this bookmarked? I have been looking for it all morning and can't find it at all.

Thanks in advance,
Miguel

Gareth Watkins August 30th, 2006 10:57 AM

Hi Miguel

Think this is what you are looking for:

http://www.dv.com/video/

regards

Gareth

Ben Winter August 30th, 2006 11:29 AM

MorphMan also does a great job.

Miguel Lombana August 30th, 2006 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gareth Watkins
Hi Miguel

Think this is what you are looking for:

http://www.dv.com/video/

regards

Gareth

Darn - I thought that I checked their site... that's what I was looking for thanks!

Ben Winter August 31st, 2006 08:46 AM

I can't export anything!

When I try to export movie... no matter what option I select I always get "error compiling movie. Unknown error." When I select Cineform codec I get a window with a caution sign and an OK button, nothing else. When I select Export to Tape, it stops rendering about one tenth of the way into it and simply returns to the "render and export" window with no warning sign. When I use Adobe Media Encoder I get "Adobe Premiere Pro failed to return a video frame. Cancelling the operation." I've tried all the fixes (although most have been for 1.5 and not 2.0) and I'm out of options. Anyone had this before and can comment?

Mike Horrigan August 31st, 2006 01:25 PM

Converting VOB for Premiere Pro 1.5 (widescreen Q)

I'm using a Sony (DCR-DVD200 NTSC) handicam. It records on DVD-R/RW's.

When using Premiere Pro 1.5 it doesn't like the VOB file so I convert it to WMV with a DVD ripper. What resolution should I choose when ripping it? I think the camera records in 704 x 480, odd, I know. Should I just pick 720x480?

I'm shooting with the cameras widescreen mode. I wish it looked a little wider in scope. If I chose "keep aspect ratio" in the ripper and converted it to 1280 x 720 would that skew the image too much? I want a wide look but I don't want to stretch it.

Please get back. Hopefully I've explained the problem well enough.

Mike

Ervin Farkas August 31st, 2006 02:00 PM

This has been discussed often on the forum - your DVD file is basically mpeg2. Simply rename it from .vob to .mpg or .mpeg and Premiere Pro 1.5 will import it no problems.