Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2004 - Page 37 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Closed Thread

Old June 1st, 2004, 03:18 PM   #541
Major Player

Heck, I did my first few commercials on a Pentium 3 laptop with 256 MB RAM and running Windows ME!
Old June 1st, 2004, 04:05 PM   #542
Regular Crew

how to edit 2.35:1 anamorph material ?

ok, lets asume you shoot with an anamorphic attachement on a canon xl-1 that delivers around 2.35:1 anamorph, squished together on the 4/3 panel.
im curious how to edit that in premiere or better, how to create the final piece that it works on 16/9 tv ect.
normal (real) 16/9 can be exported anamorph and then when you play it back on tv with widescreen option et voila 16/9 widescreen.
but how about the 2.35:1 ? when you edit it the normal way and export it back on tape and play it back on a 16/9 tv it would still be squished. is that correct ? or have i overlooked something in premiere ?

Elmar
Old June 2nd, 2004, 11:11 PM   #543
Major Player

Premiere Pro with more than 8 bits/chan?

A friend of mine was telling me that he can import frame sequences of 10 bit or 12 bit per channel images, and Prem Pro seems to work with them.
Can someone tell me if it can do color correction on higher bit depth images using all the bits ( ie: not from an 8 bit truncated version of the data ) ?
I would be very impressed if that's what is happening!
-Les
Old June 3rd, 2004, 03:06 AM   #544
Wrangler

Elmar,

You would edit using the 16x9 project settings. When you export to tape, and you view it on a 16x9 TV the picture will fill the screen. When viewed on a 4x3 TV the picture will be vertically squished. If the 4x3 TV has a widescreen button, then you can view it wide screen with black bars top and bottom.

Cheers,

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Old June 3rd, 2004, 04:18 AM   #545
RED Code Chef

I checked the Adobe site and couldn't find anything on this. So
my guess (and I think that's the case as well) is that it's just 8
bit under the covers. If it supported more bits then they'd
probably told you?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old June 3rd, 2004, 05:17 AM   #546
Regular Crew

ah okidoki i think i got the system now. when editing using the 16/9 setting the picture will still be squished and can be de-squished on a 16/9 tv.

thx

Elmar
Old June 3rd, 2004, 09:29 AM   #547
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Yes unfortunately the base version of Premiere Pro 1.5 is only 8 bit per channel. However their plug-in structure does allow for third parties to add depth to the video video quality. e.g. Prospect HD for Premiere Pro does its color correction and real-time filters in 16bits per channel and support the input of 10bit compressed or uncompressed data. I sure there are others that do this also.
Old June 3rd, 2004, 12:59 PM   #548
RED Code Chef

David: thanks for some insights in this. I assume Aspect converts
the end result back to 8-bits before writing it back into the buffers?

Old June 3rd, 2004, 01:04 PM   #549
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Aspect HD and Prospect HD are very different products. Aspect HD is an 8 bit YUV 4:2:2 system, so the issues of extended precision it not a concern.
Old June 3rd, 2004, 01:10 PM   #550
RED Code Chef

Sorry, I meant Prospect HD. It's not really geared towards a
product but more how such a plugin must operate within the
Premiere environment.

Old June 3rd, 2004, 01:26 PM   #551
Regular Crew

premiere pro => encore

Hello,

I am editing in premiere pro and then want to export to dvd. I used ppro's Adobe media encoder to get my .m2v and .wav files that I then use in Encore. Is it the right way to go? That's what I try to do now, but while it imports .m2v ok it gives an error message trying to import .wav. Does anybody have the same problem? What do I do to fix it?

Thanks
Old June 3rd, 2004, 01:32 PM   #552
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Prospect HD outputs 10bit to HD-SDI buffers, so no it doesn't convert back to 8bit unless the output is 8 bit such as exporting to WMV-HD or MPEG2. 10 bit precision is maintained wherever it is supported.
Old June 3rd, 2004, 01:43 PM   #553
Major Player

David,
So if an Adobe or other 8 bit filter gets in the chain, it all gets chopped to 8bits, right ? ( like a reposition of a slight zoom )

Does the Vegas product act in a similar way, with the higher bit depth?

I'm looking for a low cost digital intermediate color timer/editor, and maybe this is the route to take.
Is there a way to get image frame sequences into Aspect/Prospect? My frames are from film.

Thanks
-Les
Old June 3rd, 2004, 02:40 PM   #554
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Les,

<<<-- Originally posted by Les Dit :
So if an Adobe or other 8 bit filter gets in the chain, it all gets chopped to 8bits, right ? ( like a reposition of a slight zoom ) -->>>

Yes, all of Premiere's filters are 8 bit and most of them are RGB only, so those segments will have their precision reduced. However a slight zoom like you describe can use CineForm filter to presevere the bit depth. We are adding filters to replace all the common Premiere operations.

<<<-- Does the Vegas product act in a similar way, with the higher bit depth? -->>>

Vegas is 8 bit RGB only, and this can't be enhanced unless Sony does some new engineering.

<<<-- I'm looking for a low cost digital intermediate color timer/editor, and maybe this is the route to take.
Is there a way to get image frame sequences into Aspect/Prospect? My frames are from film. -->>>

Yes, although this is limited at the moment to RAW v210 AVI files (or anything that comes across single link HD-SDI.) It would be possible to convert your files into 10bit YUV v210 then these can be imported into Prospect HD. We will add a wider range of import source formats in the future.
Old June 3rd, 2004, 05:28 PM   #555
Major Player

The same codecs are available in either program if they are installed on the same machine, so they should give the same results. I find it easiest to bring the avi files, menus, music, etc. into into Encore and let it do the encoding. I have not had problems doing it this way.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite