Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2004 - Page 36 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Closed Thread

Old May 29th, 2004, 07:55 AM   #526
Trustee

It is possible, but it needs a little work. Have a look at this site:
http://www.abcdv.com/article/articleview/10/1/79/
The MainConcept codec is very good. I use it with Avid, but if I need to work with Premiere on the same machine, I have to disable it. I've just never got around to following the advice on the above link ;-)

Robin
Old May 29th, 2004, 08:10 PM   #527
Regular Crew

Editing problem

Hi fellas, I have a little question with capturing video. I capture using premier 6.5 and I have a GL2. I just noticed today that my avi file is not at 100% on full screen and it loses it's quality. Does anyone have any Idea if I could capture a better image somehow? Can I tweak the options?

Thank you
Old May 29th, 2004, 10:33 PM   #528
Regular Crew

I have a Sager P4 (3.2 Ghz, 1GB RAM) with the neat 17x14 screen. Works exceptionally well with Premier 6.5 and lots of other apps. It's only drawback is the relatively small HD (60 gB - jeez, I can't believe I'm saying that it's "small"). An important feature to look for is built in firewire - you can always get a PCMCIA card solution, but the built in is really slick. Just plug the camera in and go....

So I do a lot of editing on this machine and then download the files to a bigger, slower desktop with tons of harddrive space. If you don't have a bigger machine, the external drive that Shane describes is a good idea, although I would try for a firewire drive if at all possible.

The only big drawback of the laptop compared to a desktop machine is the lack of a dual headed video card. I've come to love the dual monitor setup on my desktop. Since Premiere has a rather cluttered interface, the extra visual real estate makes workflow smoother.

And, as Shane has mentioned, high end laptops are still quite a bit more expensive than an equivelently functional desktop.

Can't have everything....
Old May 29th, 2004, 11:19 PM   #529
Tourist

I don't think you 'need' to go particularly high end these days - 2.4/512 would probably be fine. The big internal laptop hard disks are expensive compared to 120 gig desktop drives. You can buy one of those desktop drives and stick it into a 3 1/2 inch external firewire unit. There are even fancy units that will do RAID (more than one drive) but I don't know the details on that.
Old May 29th, 2004, 11:42 PM   #530
Wrangler

AVI is just a "wrapper" for digital video. You need to check your codec. As I recall, the Microsoft DV codec is lossless, i.e. no compression (other than that which is already done as part of the DV25 standard).
Old May 30th, 2004, 08:15 AM   #531
Major Player

Dmitry

Interlaced video typically looks somewhat poor on a computer monitor. Try sending the video from the Premiere timeline back out to a television and see how it looks on the TV.
Old May 30th, 2004, 09:12 AM   #532
Regular Crew

thanks guys
Old May 30th, 2004, 09:20 AM   #533
RED Code Chef

I'm not fully understanding your "my avi file is not at 100% on
full screen" part?

How are you determining it is of less quality than... compared to
what?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old May 30th, 2004, 07:43 PM   #534
Tourist

Is Wrigley alone?

I have been enjoying the tutorials put together by WRIGLEY VIDEO PRODUCTIONS. Are there other free sites offering similar tutorials out there?
Old May 31st, 2004, 01:45 PM   #535
Trustee

Wrigley is the only one doing video tutorials for Premiere Pro. There are others doing Photoshop and After Effects.

The problem is that there is a serious cost to the bandwidth. The sites that offer unlimited bandwidth are not really telling the entire truth. So Curt Wrigley pays a lot of money monthly. I think he uses around 15G of bandwidth daily. That is huge.
Old May 31st, 2004, 05:56 PM   #536
Regular Crew

Well when I view my captured avi file in say WMP and I click full screen, I have a noticable loss in quality. But when I have it at 100% not at full screen mode it's as clear as ever. Is there a way I can make Premier Pro capture my avi file at "full screen size" rather than the default 100% that's about 1/4 of my screen's size.

Old May 31st, 2004, 06:03 PM   #537
Major Player

Dmitry

DV resolution is 720x480. That's "full screen" for DV. Try to make it fill 1024x768 (or another monitor resolution) and it's going to have a loss in quality. Add to that what I said before about interlaced video looking worse on a computer monitor (it will look better in a smaller viewing window, though).

Interlaced DV is ultimately meant to be best viewed on a TV. It simply will not look as clear on a computer monitor.
Old June 1st, 2004, 07:50 AM   #538
Regular Crew

I was looking at another thread and I found a file that converts 16:9 to a 4:3 with the bars. That helps me out a ton so I'm happy I think I'm gonna start filming (as long as I can get my script finished by next week.)
Old June 1st, 2004, 12:46 PM   #539
Wrangler

Hi Kyle,

Glad you managed to find a work around. Its a strange issue as it works for me... Anyway, good luck with your script, let us know how you get on.

All the best,

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Old June 1st, 2004, 03:02 PM   #540
Regular Crew

I use a Toshiba P25 Satelitte notebook 2.8Ghz upgraded to 1meg RAM 80 Gig HD with the Maxtor 250Gig external firewire and the Firestore FS1.

I have Premiere Pro, After Effects 6, Audition, Particle Illusion and Boris Red

I used this setup to capture and edit video when I'm on the Seagram's Gin Live Tour.

26 cities in 38 days and this system has performed without a flaw.

I've done multi camera edits, effects, titling, composting all while traveling on a tour bus and I this system never crashed once.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite