Canon Service - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old February 16th, 2007, 09:16 AM   #136
New Boot

Thanks for all the good advice. I hope this fixes it.
Charles Culpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2007, 09:54 PM   #137
New Boot

I got the camera back on Saturday and thought it was doing the exact same thing that I sent it in for. Turns out my Sony Mini DV player was causing distortion when I was playing back today. When captured to Final Cut and played back image looks good.

Last edited by Charles Culpepper; February 26th, 2007 at 11:51 PM.
Old February 26th, 2007, 10:03 PM   #138
New Boot

I sent mine in to New Jersey for distorted playback image. Dropped over $550 , I just got it back and it's doing the exact same thing - like they never even tested before shipping it out.....
Old February 26th, 2007, 10:08 PM   #139
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Culpepper
I sent mine in to New Jersey for distorted playback image. Dropped over $550 , I just got it back and it's doing the exact same thing - like they never even tested before shipping it out.....
That is unfortunite, but they should have included a 3 month warrenty for the service (I would hope) they did for me. Still is rediculous to have to go through it again already... good luck.
Old February 26th, 2007, 11:49 PM   #140
New Boot

Nix my prev comment. Looks like my Sony Mini DV player was causing the distortion. When I captured my footage to final cut and played it through there it looks fine.
Old February 28th, 2007, 12:19 PM   #141
Regular Crew

Canon XL1 Service

Currently I have been noticing quite a lot of clitches come drop outs in the image I have shot on my XL1. Now this camera is some 10 years old and I bought it in July 2003 2nd hand. I haven't serviced it in all that time.

So my question is since it is long over due for a service from peoples experience can I expect to get the camera back and see no more drop outs come clitches in my video? Or is this just a sign that the camera is coming to the end of its life?

Thanks
Simon Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 12:58 PM   #142
Major Player

Have you used a dry head cleaning tape? That will help get rid of the drop-outs.
Old February 28th, 2007, 01:10 PM   #143
Regular Crew

Yes I have. I only ran the Cleaning tape through for about 15 seconds but I'm still noticing various clitches / drop outs in the image captured.
Old February 28th, 2007, 01:25 PM   #144
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Duncan View Post
Yes I have. I only ran the Cleaning tape through for about 15 seconds but I'm still noticing various clitches / drop outs in the image captured.
What brand of tapes are you using to record on?

Mike
Old February 28th, 2007, 01:58 PM   #145
Regular Crew

Sony DV Premium.

I have been using these for quite some time now. At least for the last 12mths
Old February 28th, 2007, 03:14 PM   #146
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Duncan View Post
Sony DV Premium.

I have been using these for quite some time now. At least for the last 12mths
The reason I asked about the tapes is that I used JVC tapes in my Canon XL1s and had problems. I cleaned it and again and still had problems. I switched to Sony and never had another problem.

If I were you, I would use the cleaning tape for a longer time, a couple three times if necessary and try again with a new recording tape. I that does not work it is off to Canon for service.

Mike
Old March 2nd, 2007, 12:08 PM   #147
Regular Crew

Tape Brand

I read a long time ago that it's best to use only one brand of DV tape. The article explained that the lubricants used in the tape can react to another brand's lubricant formula causing a stickly mess and consequently drop outs.

"I'd do it for free but I don't!"
John Paulsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2007, 12:28 PM   #148
Regular Crew

I also feel that my particular camera is coming to the end of it's life. I've been more than keen to upgrade over the last 12mths but just haven't had the jobs coming to justify it. Well this camera has served me incredibly well but the limitations of lack of true manual lens and audio have seen me constantly looking at the next camera. But considering that this camera is some 10 years old it has more than delivered in regard to my development as a cameraman.
Old April 29th, 2007, 11:05 AM   #149
New Boot

Cost and whats involved in "refurb" for my XL1s?

Hey guys,

I tried to find a thread on this, but I couldn't. If something similar exists, sorry.

Moving on...I would like to send my camera back to Canon to get it performing like the day it was new.

I have read about people doing it, but I have no idea what is involved.

What all needs to be updated, repaired, adjusted, or replaced? And how much can I expect it to run me and how long will it take? Thanks!
Jack Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2007, 10:40 PM   #150
Regular Crew

What's wrong with your camera? Typically you'll send it to Canon's national HQ (or if you're American, one of two(?) national HQ's they've got) and they fix it and then bill you. They'd go through it and find everything that's wrong, and tweak a lot of other stuff too. Depending on what they've done, you'll get a price that varies. Usually it runs at about $200-600. Of course, maybe you've done something crazy to the camera, and you'll get an enormous $1000ish bill.
Kyle Ross is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog