Canon Service - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old November 11th, 2004, 12:11 PM   #106
Trustee

Jeff,
Thank you for the reminder about the XL1 Club. I dug out the card I had in a file since 1999 and called the 800#. I now have a priority code to get the Camera serviced in 5 business days. I had forgotten club membership was good for something. You gotta love Canon.

Steve
Old November 11th, 2004, 12:12 PM   #107
Warden

I think it may have similar benefits, at least cost wise, shipping etc. I doubt they have a loaner policy though. Give the club number a call and see what they say.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2004, 12:28 PM   #108
Trustee

Also, I have read someplace that the New Jersey center was charging less for service than the California center. I asked the Canon rep if this was true and she said that was impossible.

Steve
Old December 6th, 2004, 02:09 PM   #109
New Boot

canon service center

beware sending camera to have serviced by canon,sent to have cleaned and serviced,e-mail came back with a bill of 450+ saying that the case where mike attached was broken and that the case had to be replaced??????the piece was about a 1/2 long and no way affected anything including the mike.told them to just clean it,they said about 95.oo.ok.i then get another call later saying the camera was extremely dirty and it would be about 245.???????was encouraged to pay the 450 instead.sorry canon bad business,told them to return it.anybody want to buy a 2000 xl1?
Old December 7th, 2004, 06:32 PM   #110
Wrangler

OK, so how dirty was it? How long since the previous service/cleaning? How many run-time hours? In what environments was it used? Where there problem that caused you to send it in for cleaning? How did the case break?

Sounds like Canon wanted to restore the camcorder to factory spec condition, and thereby avoid the alternative complaint that they did not fully service the machine.
Old December 8th, 2004, 07:05 PM   #111
New Boot

canon service center

some where my point was lost ,i sent the camera for a service clean and check,as reccomended by the watchdog site,just a clean and service.the camera worked fine when it left here,NO problems.i get an e-mail sying the bill was 458+.reason they wanted to replace the case???why a piece of the plastic ring that holds the mike in place was broken off.1/4x 3/8.it did not affect anything not even the mike.it still worked in any position.again all i wanted was a service and clean.so i called back,we talked and i told him what i sent it there for.he said ok,that would be about 95.fine.15 min later i get another call saying it was worse than they thought,it was extremely dirty and would cost about 245.no thanks.im sure with your reasoning that canon would love to refurbish the whole thing along with a bill that would buy another one one bay.ive worked the service repair business and this is status quo.i dont have deep pockets.sorry if you think im wrong.Don
Old July 18th, 2006, 09:52 PM   #112
New Boot

Best time to service the XL 1S?

As mentioned before in other posts i use the XL1S in mainly dusty and dry conditions and sometimes in wet weather where there is some mud so would anyone recommend how many hours of use before u either have to run a cleaning tape thru it or put it in for a clean and service?.

I've been told by other MX cameraman they do every during their off season but i film mainly year round with breaks of only about 4 to 6 weeks at most?.

After each meeting i do clean and blow out the external body etc where dust can get in does anyone have any basic cleaning regimes they follow after use in such conditions or climate?.

Any advice is greatly appreciated with thanks for this Newbie:).
Nic Maguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2006, 04:49 AM   #113
Wrangler

For normal use, head cleaning tape only when there are indications of a head clog, and an annual service by Canon - that normally takes about 1-2 week turnaround. However, if used in adverse conditions, more often may be necessary. You will have to judge based on your field use.

Some folks have put masking or gaffer tape around the tape loading door to reduce the possibility of dust entering when in the field and go to a cleaner location to change tapes.
Old July 19th, 2006, 05:29 AM   #114
New Boot

Thank you for the advice Don much appreciated particuarly that last tip i will try that this weekend whilst filming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Palomaki
For normal use, head cleaning tape only when there are indications of a head clog, and an annual service by Canon - that normally takes about 1-2 week turnaround. However, is used in adverse conditions, more often may be necessary. You will have to judge based on your field use.

Some folks have put maskign or gaffer tape around the tape loading door to reduce the possibility of dust entering when in the field and go to a cleaner location to change tapes.
Nic Maguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 08:56 AM   #115
John Mahoney

service Issues

i have had my XL1 since Feb. 1998 i dont use ity that much since i also have a Sony DSR-D35. I must say i am happy with the Xl1 even though it has its Quirks.
Recvently however I have been having some problems.

First- The Power Wheel which determines what shooting mode one uses is no longer accurate. For instance when I go to Green Box mode, the viewfinder displays TV60 and so on. The only setting which is accurate is Manual, which is OK because its all i use. I can live with this problem

Second- I can only access the menu using the remote. If I push the menu button the camera will momentarily shut down. Release the menubutton and it turns on again. If I use the remote to go into the menue it works fine. I can live with this problem also.

Third- I recently shot some footage of sailboats, about 40min. ( during which I burned the viewfinder a little) when I got back and looked at the footage (which looked fine while I was shooting) I noticed that I had sections of footage which had odd bands running through it. then sections of black lasting about 10sec. where the timecode would go back to zero. I am hoping this is just dirty heads. I sdon't know hjow to add a Jpg. of this or I would.

Any comments?

Also any comments about which Canon Service Center is better East Coast
or West Coast
Old October 3rd, 2006, 07:26 PM   #116
Wrangler

Sure sounds like very dirty heads. New Jersey is closer to RI, so you might save a wee bit of time/shipping.
Old November 20th, 2006, 07:34 PM   #117
Regular Crew

Head Cleaning Cost and Location??

Hi all. I'm a newbie on the list and have really enjoyed reading the archives. I have an XL1 that I have been using to shoot outdoors in Honduras. Recently I have been getting a head cleaning needed notice in the viewfinder as well as horizontal bars in playback etc. I have ran a head cleaning tape through it and it sometimes fixes the problems but sometimes not. If I record for a half hour with no fragmenting does that mean it is fixed? If I choose to send it in for cleaning and alignment how much should I pay? There is a local place that can clean it for roughly 65 dollars that works on XL1s' but is obviously not certified by Canon...have people used third party cleaners?? Any info would be helpful. Thanks,
Andrew
Andrew Dryden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2006, 10:23 PM   #118
Wrangler

Hi Andrew,

Can't answer your question about whether or not you "fixed" your camera with the cleaner tape--you're pretty much taking your chances that it won't act up when you need it most.

I've always sent my cameras to Canon Service in Irvine, CA. For a basic cleaning and checkup it has cost $252.00. Canon would send you an estimate that you must approve before they do any work on your camera.
Old November 21st, 2006, 03:24 PM   #119
Trustee

Andrew,

The cleaning tapes should only really be used in an emergency. Like if a terrorist has a gun to your head and says 'put the cleaning tape in, or die'. Even then only run it for 10 seconds. It's kind of like sandpaper.

You say your 'local place' is 'obviously not certified by Canon'. It makes it sound like it's pretty low end. Because you were shooting outdoors in Honduras, you may have picked up some foreign substance (literally and figuratively) in your tape compartment. At this point, if you can't find a REPUTABLE service depot within driving distance, I'd certainly send it in to Canon. I'm pretty sure Canon doesn't actually have authorized service depots anymore, but a head cleaning is pretty basic stuff. However, being that it's an XL1, it probably is older and could use a factory service.

Just my 2 cents
Old November 22nd, 2006, 12:00 AM   #120
Obstreperous Rex

In the United States, Canon has two factory service centers for their camcorders:

Canon Factory Service
Attn: Video Service
100 Jamesburg Road
Jamesburg, NJ 08831
tel: 732-521-7007

Canon USA
Attn: Video Service
15955 Alton Parkway
Irvine, CA 92618-3616
tel: 949-753-4200

See http://www.dvinfo.net/canon/skinny.php#service

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog