Canon Service - Page 11 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old April 30th, 2007, 08:26 AM   #151
Major Player

Location: Central North Carolina (Raleigh, Durham, & surrounding areas)
I gotta agree with Kyle. First we need to know what's wrong. Even then, your best bet is to contact Canon. Once you've contacted them, you'll be sending in the camera for an estimate. When you approve the estimate, (and pay the fee) they'll send it back relatively quick. THEN, you'll see on the packing slip/invoice copy exactly what was done...At least that's been my experience with them.

Good luck!

Mark
Mark Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 12:58 PM   #152
Wrangler

Jack, are you a member of the XL owners club? That may reduce the cost somewhat on routine maintenance service by Canon. If all it needs is routind service/cleaning (i.e., no repair) the cost is moderate, but I'm not sure what the going rate is this year.

Call Canon at their toll-free number, follow the prompts to the camcorder section, and they can tell you what you need to do to send it for service by Canon.
Old April 30th, 2007, 05:45 PM   #153
Major Player

Canon does seem to be secretive about repairs. My most recent experience suggested to me that how you phrase the description of your problem when you make the online repair request might help. I probably did a dozen or more hand written descriptions and revisions before submitting a repair request. My goal was to provide an accurate as well as succinct description of my camera's malady. Because cleaning heads had not helped, I was sure I had a tape transport issue, but couldn't decide where. Was it capstain, pinch rollers, push-pull drive motors, tension, or alignment? I understood the concepts, but knew nothing regarding adjustments.

The end result was a return authorization email quoting a repair cost of $62.00. Having often read the $400 minimum repair fee too many times to count I didn't really believe that quote, but I went along, and sent the camera in for repair (followed the instructions to the letter).

Camera came back two weeks later with an intersting invoice. Basic repair fee: $400. Credit: ($338). Amount due: $62. Detailed description: nothing.

My camera either needed the most basic of adjustments or it's serial number indicated a known mfg problem.

Perhaps my multiple revisions regarding wording and phrasing paid off? Or did my camera simply need a few more passes of the cleaning tape?
Old April 30th, 2007, 07:41 PM   #154
Wrangler

Another thing to do is include a tape with a sample of the problem, if it is one that shows up on tape.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 07:54 PM   #155
Regular Crew

repair time?

Mine seems to want to be cleaned all the time. It has been requesting the cleaning tape too often for my liking, now it started eating tapes. I tried a few new tapes and it ate them. I tried the head cleaner tape and had the same result. Being a sucker I thought I would waste one more tape. I put in it and hit rewind and it didn't eat the tape. I then cleaned it and the cleaning tape was fine also. I used the cam for an hour after, but cetainly don't trust it anymore. Thoughts? New head? Drum shot?
Vince Halushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 08:27 PM   #156
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Halushka View Post
Mine seems to want to be cleaned all the time. It has been requesting the cleaning tape too often for my liking, now it started eating tapes. I tried a few new tapes and it ate them. I tried the head cleaner tape and had the same result. Being a sucker I thought I would waste one more tape. I put in it and hit rewind and it didn't eat the tape. I then cleaned it and the cleaning tape was fine also. I used the cam for an hour after, but cetainly don't trust it anymore. Thoughts? New head? Drum shot?
Sounds a whole lot like the issues I had to deal with last year. It is a Canon repair thing. Here is what I had done (quoted from Canon invoice):

Examination/Request details...
"Camera shows eject cassette on FFWD or Rewind. Check all functions."

Service Details ...

"Replaced slide chassis assy, idler gear and drive gears, audio PCB assy, cleaned and adjusted tape pathj and torque. Tested all funcions oof lens and camera to gwo".

My camera has worked flawlessly upon return.

Hope this helps.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 08:53 PM   #157
Regular Crew

That might help, How much did the service cost and how long was the turn around?
Thanks
Old May 3rd, 2007, 07:45 AM   #158
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Halushka View Post
That might help, How much did the service cost and how long was the turn around?
Thanks
Turn around was two weeks. See my post of April 30 in this thread for cost.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 08:40 AM   #159
Regular Crew

Thanks a bunch.
Camera will be in the mail today. I was thinking of getting the drums replaced just for peace of mind. I do not want any problems this summer while filming.
Old May 11th, 2007, 05:20 AM   #160
New Boot

XL1S Service Manual

Hello,
i'm a video camera repair technician in a consumer and professional JVC authorized service center and i'm in terrible need of a DM-XL1S service manual.
Can anyone tell me where can i find this? I've made some search in internet but it seems impossible to find.

Thanks in advance
Bruno Vaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 06:18 AM   #161
Trustee

if you find one let me know ;)
Old May 11th, 2007, 06:55 AM   #162
New Boot

Ok, i'll let you know!
I think yout comment says it all...

Regards
Old May 11th, 2007, 07:21 AM   #163
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Bruno, it's usually difficult to obtain these manuals. You probably have a good chance though, considering your background. I think you should contact the local / regional Canon office in your area, and begin from there. Please let us know how it works out for you. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 08:06 AM   #164
New Boot

Hi Chris,
unfortunatelly, the Canon dealer here in Portugal (it's not Canon directly) in very closed, they don't give anything to anybody. The only way is send them the cameras for repair. I heard that Canon is preparing to come directly to Portugal, i hope that things change then.

Thanks anyway
Old May 11th, 2007, 09:59 AM   #165
Wrangler

Try contact the Canon office (not dealer) covering your part of Europe directly. They may be able to help you. The contact information may be on the back page of the user manual.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog