Canon Service - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old November 22nd, 2006, 02:19 PM   #121
Regular Crew

All I meant my obviously not licensed is that since Cannon will only service the cameras themselves the local place is not licensed. I think they are a reputable place and I am hesitant to send everything off.

I was reading in the archives and some people recommended just recording for a half hour and then reviewing the tape to see if there was any fragmenting etc. Their thought was that if you did this and there was none you were good to go. Is that the general consensus? It is an xl1s and hasn't had much use, so would like not to spend the 252 dollars if it is avoidable. Thanks,
Andrew
Andrew Dryden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2006, 01:17 AM   #122
Wrangler

If you're willing to put up with that kind of aggravation, go right ahead. :) I take it you don't do any kind of event shooting or jobs where time is an issue.
Old January 20th, 2007, 11:22 PM   #123
New Boot

Time to send in my XL1s to Canon

My camera has worked flawlessly for about the last year or so since I bought it used on EBay. Camera sat for a few days since last successful use and when my new 7" external LCD monitor arrived to work with my new jib I plugged it in and no zoom, no focus... removed the lens, cleaned with eraser and denatured alcohol on the contact, still no go... removed the batteries for several hours and tried again with no luck. Funny thing is that the camera zoom and focus works for about the first 15 seconds on powering up, but then nothing. When I hit the zoom in - zoom out toggle after that it shows the square and triangle on the zoom (in the display) like it knows I'm hitting the toggle switch, but doesn't go anywhere... No error message, and will playback fine. Hopefully nothing major, we'll see what happens. Anyone have any other bright ideas to try?

Last edited by G. Scott Roberts; January 21st, 2007 at 12:10 AM.
G. Scott Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 12:52 AM   #124
Obstreperous Rex

Sorry, there is nothing else you can do except send the camera in to Canon service.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 07:21 AM   #125
Inner Circle

I recommend some last minute tests before sending it off to Canon.

I don't know what 7" monitor that you are using. So, disconnect it and run the test again.

If you have any other lenses, try them.

Have you tested with other batteries? Does the battery power show full power?
Old January 21st, 2007, 08:07 AM   #126
Inner Circle

Could be the lens fuse, not the camera. So yeah, check with a different lens. Or at the least, send body AND lens back.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 04:21 PM   #127
New Boot

Yikes, dropped off my XL1s this morning to Canon in Irvine, CA (only about 40 miles from me), and was told it's a minimum of $400.00 for repair of an XL1s! I expected a few hundred after cleaning and resetting / fixing whatever, but $400 min? I hope it's back to brand new when I get it back. The $400.00 is supposed to include fixing and cleaning, so we'll see...
Old January 22nd, 2007, 06:19 PM   #128
Regular Crew

I had the exact same thing happen to me but fortunately mine was still under warrenty. If they have the part its an easy fix but with me they had to order it and that took awhile.
Chris Colin Swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 03:49 PM   #129
New Boot

Canon XL1 Repair Price

I sent a XL1 camera in for distorted playback image. The repair description for the camera itself is "playback image distorted when panning or if subject moves. Replace drum. Unit never serviced. Check all functions. Clean and adjust. lens seperated.
Parts are $131 and labor $400

Seems really excessive?
Charles Culpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 04:45 PM   #130
Inner Circle

Seems about right to me for a drum replacement.
Old February 15th, 2007, 05:04 PM   #131
Contributor

That used to cost about $3,500 on my old Betacam camera and I had to do it about every 3 years.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 05:06 PM   #132
Inner Circle

I assume you tried a good run of a cleaning tape?

Mike
Old February 15th, 2007, 05:41 PM   #133
Inner Circle

Realize that with a new drum, comes new heads. Considering the transport has also been 'cleaned and adjusted'... it's a pretty good deal and the old XL1 should serve you well.
Old February 15th, 2007, 11:30 PM   #134
New Boot

$400 is their magic number, that's what I just paid for my XL1s that would not zoom/focus. That was the price for "Reseat all connectors, adjust focus, adjust exposure." on the lens, then "Clean Drum ass'y. Perform tape path adjustment. Test loading, eject, record, playback - Good". You got more than me for the same amount... If you haven't, I learned (through this site) you should register your XL1s through Canon's web site for the "XL Series Owners Club" https://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/c...8&modelid=7471 to get specials such as routing cleaning discounted prices (questionable at the Irvine, CA location)...
Old February 16th, 2007, 09:10 AM   #135
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch
I assume you tried a good run of a cleaning tape?

Mike
That's right. We cleaned with a cleaning tape thoroughly.
Charles Culpepper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog