Canon Service - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old June 26th, 2002, 10:46 AM   #46
New Boot

Canon Service Costs?

While I'm waiting (its been over a month now) for Canon to get back to me on my Owner's Club membership, I have a question about their prices that maybe someone here can answer. My unit basically has three problems with it. One is that it has about 3-4 dead pixels, which only show up when I shoot in anything lower than 1/60th shutter. As for external problems, the microphone holder is chipped and the little black metal square that the viewfinder attaches onto somehow got turned so that now when the viewfinder attaches it is crooked.

Does anyone know about how much this costs to have repaired? Would Canon have contacted me if there was a problem with my Owner's Club membership by now? Thanks.
Trent Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2002, 02:18 PM   #47
Obstreperous Rex

If you decide to call either of the two Canon service centers (contact info at www.dvinfo.net/xl1.htm -- the page called "The XL1 Skinny"), be sure to let us know what you find out. I'm sure they'll give you a ball-park estimate based on your description. I'd like to know what they tell you. Thanks,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2002, 03:19 PM   #48
Major Player

Hi,
A friend of mine sent in his XL-1 for cleaning, as a club member it would cost $95.00.

BUT in the process they found a few problems ($1384.35 worth, a very extensive list) , sent back his $95.00 check along with a list of necessary repairs and a request for repair authorization and a check for payment. If he decides no, they will ship it back n/c.

All I can say is that if your camera isn't working right, send it in asap.

Good Luck
B. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2002, 05:12 PM   #49
Regular Crew

Parts & Service Manual

I have the parts and service manual available. P/N DY8-1160-000;
# D16-0712 NTSC 1998 edition.

Someone requested a number via email and I dumped the email in the trash thinking it was from a wormer.

So whom ever it was ya can email me again and say DViC sent ya. I can't send a copy of the whole thing but I don't mind providing this website part numbers and faxes of some of the pages (service specs, schematics, wiring diagrams etc.).

Sorry for the inconvience. I'm getting old I guess.

evc@starband.net
Bob Deming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2002, 08:31 PM   #50
Obstreperous Rex

Thanks Robert.

You'd be crazy to offer to copy the whole thing -- I've seen it and it's pretty thick, with a lot of fold-out diagrams. I sure appreciate the offer to provide some occasional info out of it. That's a valuable asset.

By the way folks, this is XL1 only, and *not* XL1S.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2002, 08:37 PM   #51
Regular Crew

I should be getting the XL-1S manual soon.

Will let ya'll know down dair.

evc@starband.net
Bob Deming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2002, 01:48 AM   #52
Regular Crew

Canon Service Centers - CA vs NJ

I'm getting ready to send in my new XL1S to Canon for service. Seems the audio is no-longer recording. Just curious if there are any pros or cons with sending it to either the California or New Jersey service center. I'm a little closer to the NJ center, but is there a difference in turn around time or quality of work between the two that anyone is aware of?

Thanks,
G
Greg Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2002, 07:37 AM   #53
Warden

Greg, you may want to do a search on this topic. I believe Chris Hurd felt the NJ was perhaps quicker than the CA. I don't want to say better because it implies the other does shoddy work. If you're in the Owners Club you might want to call and see if they have a preference.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2003, 04:57 PM   #54
Regular Crew

Xl1 Service Manual

Does any one know where I can purchase a service manual for the XL1 or XL1s

Or even a photocopy, pdf file anything

James
James Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2003, 04:18 AM   #55
Wrangler

Nothing that is serviceable by most users in the Canon MiniDV camcroders. Spcialized tools and test gear are required. Circuit boards use special service mounted components and ASICs, so part swapping on them is a bit of a trick too. Also, opening the unit can void the warranty.

With that warning, in the USA manuals can be ordered from the Canon national parts outlet, cost is on the order of $50 or so as I recall. You can get ther from the menus on Canon's support number.

At one time Canon has a gatekeeper on manual sales, you have to sign a waiver statement regarding possible loss of waranty if you used the manual to make home-repairs.

Also, the manuals do not include all circuits in the machine, just the major boards. And they appear to be somewhat comulative where for some products the manual depended in part on having the manual for an earlier version, or some having specific factory training.

An interesting addition to the library only if you are a highly skilled technician and interested in the internal mechanics of the XL1, but a waste of money for most people
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2003, 09:06 PM   #56
Tourist

canon service

hello all..
i am a proud owner of a Xl1... i love this thing..
its an older model that i bought from a guy.
well... little did i know that you were not suppose to use
different brand tapes.. (i was buying whatever i could get the cheapest). now im paying for it.. at least i think thats what the problem is.
evrything was fine until the other night i was using the camera for a playback vcr... i know.... i know..... but i dont have the money for a minidv player right now....took everything i had to
get the cam.

anyways... now i have a large black line and a bunch of squares
at the left side of the picture.. ive cleaned and cleaned and ran the head cleaner thru it 5-6 times.. still the same... : (

so.. im just gonna go ahead and send it in to canon and let them fix it.. since they fix many other things to.. like the focus...and such..
anybody ever had this problem.. with the squares at the side of the picture?
do i need to send it in?
also... how much am i looking at for a "service"

i need to have an idea how much this is gonna cost me...

Thanks a mil in advance !!
Old June 24th, 2003, 09:20 PM   #57

Have you tried cleaning the heads with a dry cleaning tape?

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2003, 10:19 PM   #58
Tourist

yes , i have... now about 7-8 times.. just wont clear up...
any ideas on the cost of a service?

i use this cam every week and cant really go with out it.. but.. i have no choice...
i figure i may have to wait a couple weeks to get it back.. probably needs serviced anyways..

thanks.
Old June 24th, 2003, 10:20 PM   #59
Tourist

also .. the head cleaner im using is a dry tape .. i think.. it looks like a "tape" actually..
do i need to use the "cloth "type tape?

help!
Old June 24th, 2003, 11:11 PM   #60
Trustee

The best thing to do Rod is to send it in to Canon. As it's a used camera it would be a good idea for them to check over it and make any adjustments/mods that are required. They will also fix your problem and send your camera back as good as new. I can't really help with the cost as it's a used camera and it's impossible to know what it might need. Short of having to replace heads/drums etc it shouldn't be too pricey.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog