Canon Service - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old May 19th, 2004, 08:06 AM   #91
Major Player

Henry,
What are you using to capture your footage? This problem has cropped up before in other threads and at that time, (me included in this), it was discovered that most of of were using a JVC deck to capture our footage. ...just curious.....
Mark
Mark A. Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2004, 10:14 PM   #92
New Boot

I was primarily using my XL1 as a deck, but no longer. I have a Dvc-pro deck I usually borrow from a friend that I use with an adapter. I am on my way to the electronics dealer to buy a MiniDV cam so that I can have a dedicated deck (at a reasonable price) going forward.

I would also like to let everyone know that I got my camera back today, they had it done for me on the next day it seems (Isn't that something). I got it back today.

I have a question...DV tapes. I switched to the professional panasonic DVm83pq's, I will exclusively use this brand unless I hear different from you guys. What do you think?
Old May 21st, 2004, 04:46 AM   #93
Major Player

Henry,
If you cruise through similiar threads you will find the overall theme is stay with one type of tape....myself started using PQ's after I got my cameras cleaned/serviced @Canon.
Mark A. Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2004, 02:51 PM   #94
Regular Crew

Disappointed with canon service

I very very very ..... disappointed with canon service in my country ( Indonesia ).
I have been sent my camera ( XL1S ) to canon service center for 4 months. But until now, I don't know my camera will come back to me.
They said, because the spare part not yet ready, waiting for delivery. ( 4 months, that isn't sensible ).
Can somebody help me ?

Thanks
Sunarto Sosrosaputro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2004, 04:48 AM   #95
RED Code Chef

I doubt anyone can help you. The only thing you can do is call
and perhaps write a letter to the people in charge of the company
(in Indonesia).

Perhaps you can write a letter to Canon HQ as well to complain
about Canon Indonesia. Here in Holland we have a couple of
organisations that look after interest of consumers and I could
contact them to see if they can help. I'm not sure if Indonesia
has something similar.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2004, 11:56 AM   #96
Obstreperous Rex

Four months is way too long. You should contact Canon customer service in your area and file a complaint.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2004, 01:14 PM   #97
Regular Crew

Thanks to support to me.
I have been called the canon service center, but they said waiting for delivery ( I have been called almost 15 times ).
The answer is the same ( Waiting for delivery ).
the people in charge of the company will come back to Indonesia on June, 28th.
I will call again on that date. But I hopeless will get good news.
Anyway, thanks again.
Sorry, my english isn't quiet good. Because english isn't first language in my country.

Sunarto
Sunarto Sosrosaputro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2004, 10:36 PM   #98
Regular Crew

Canon service or lack of...

Sent my XL1s to Calgary for service over two weeks ago (problems with tape transport). I phoned them three times, last week, just to get info on the status of the camcorder and an estimated time line. Each time I phoned (long distance) I got a different person. None of them could give me any info at all or even tell me for sure that they even had my camcorder and each promised to call me back. I have yet to get a call. All I want is some news, good or bad, and confirmation that Canon even has my XL. Not real happy with Canon service. If I have to phone again, I'm not going to be near as pleasant as the previous times.
Old September 9th, 2004, 04:58 AM   #99
Wrangler

How did you send the camcorder to Canon - most shippers (at least in the USA - do they in Canada?) offer tracking that will allow you to confirn delivery. Also, did you have an RMA from Canon or just send it in? Was it specifically marked for XL1s camcorder service?
Old September 9th, 2004, 12:21 PM   #100
Regular Crew

Hi Don. The camcorder is warranteed through a third party. That is beside the point really. I'm sure I can track it through the shipper ( I have the waybill) and it is insured. When three different service reps tell you that they will call you back with some info and they don't call at all, that's what gets me. I work in the service industry and if you promise to do something you better follow through. If there is a problem I need to know and I can start tracking the shipment from my end. One of them thought it was there but didn't know for sure.
Old September 9th, 2004, 04:14 PM   #101
Wrangler

> The camcorder is warranteed through a third party.

Interesting. This could complicate the issue - is Canon's legal business relationship with you, or with the third party?

Good luck with the repair.
Old September 9th, 2004, 05:11 PM   #102
Regular Crew

No business was happening -- either with me or the third party. My XL had been looked at, but no estimate was given to anyone. I finally got everything straightened out today and everything is back on track. I talked to Ryan at Canon Calgary and he was very helpful. There was a bit of a mix up and I'm okay with that. It just took some communication to get things going. I guess the moral is that, after everything is said and done, good service still comes down to individuals who care about what they do. Thanks Ryan!

I certainly didn't write this post to bash Canon. I have been very happy with my XL1s. It is one tough camcorder.
Old November 11th, 2004, 09:30 AM   #103
Trustee

Canon Service

How long did it take Canon to turn around your XL1 when you sent it in for annual service? Thoughts on California or New Jersey? I need mine serviced fast.

Steve
Old November 11th, 2004, 10:44 AM   #104
Warden

Are you a member of the XL1/2 Owners Club?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2004, 11:58 AM   #105
Trustee

Yes I am. Please let me know how that can help.

I am also a Canon Professional Services member, but that does not help me with the video repairs. Does the XL1 Club have similar benefits?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog