Helping Hands from 2005 - Page 27 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Helping Hands
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Helping Hands
Post a job, find a job, hire a crew, join a crew... seek out and deploy!

Closed Thread

Old May 25th, 2005, 11:02 AM   #391
Regular Crew

since I can't find a job in NYC, here what I'll do

hey,

some of you probably remember me. i posted a thread a couple of months ago to get advice on how to find an internship or job in NYC this summer. i sent a lot of resumes, replied to a lot of adds ans stuff but not ONE single reply. i guess it's just normal since i'm right now in Spain, i can not be interviewed or anything so why should they waste their time. so my plan is to go straight up there and look for a job on the spot. my question now is how risky is that given i intend to show up early july?
am i about to comit suicide??

by the way if anyone is looking for someone in NYC(shooter, FCP editor, colorist, photographer, P.A.,etc...) i'm fully available. here's a link to a divx version of my latest short:
http://www.euromedcafe.org/winner.as...documentID=219

thanks and take care

Yohann KOUAM

e-mail:digitalfilmmakers@yahoo.fr
Old May 25th, 2005, 01:28 PM   #392
Major Player

First, no job is worth suicide...kidding or not.

I'm not certain what level of work you are seeking but here are a few suggestions.

You may want to check into Mandy.com for they always have job listings in NYC especially for low budget, entry level work that may be of interest to you. If you are lookng for someting lucrative you could try to shop your reel around to production compnaies. But be aware that it is very competitiive in NYC and you would be lucky to get an interview much less a good job.

Many companies get slow in August as most people take vacations then. So don't let your expectations get too high. Instead, try to visit NY and get a sense of the business by working on lower paying gigs. That may be a stepping stone to better paying work in the future.

Hope this helps.
Old May 25th, 2005, 02:08 PM   #393
Major Player

I'm sure you've checked these two websites...but just in case...

http://www.nyc.gov/html/film/html/ho...download.shtml

And of course...

http://newyork.craigslist.org/

Just watch out for "scammers" on Craiglist though...
Old May 25th, 2005, 02:41 PM   #394
Regular Crew

haha what i meant by comitting suicide is wether i'd go to new-york to find nothing...
and a non paid job will be fine with me, all i search is experience...

thanks for the advice give me some more!
Old May 25th, 2005, 03:44 PM   #395
Trustee

Monochrome viewfinder for xl2 in South Fl?

I'm thinking about getting the fu-1000 monochrome viewfinder for my xl2. I was unable to find one to rent and was hoping that some one down here is using one. If so, I'd apprecite checking it out.
Thanks
Bruce S. Yarock

You can email me at yarock at aol dot com.
Old May 25th, 2005, 03:46 PM   #396
Regular Crew

Have you ever thought aboout building your own? you only need a old vf from an old betacam and a soldering iron. and of course some skills in elektronics ;)

dietmar
Old May 25th, 2005, 07:23 PM   #397
Major Player

Dietmar

Post the schematic and you might be very famous around here!
Old May 25th, 2005, 10:11 PM   #398
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

from my experience based in LA ...
i received many calls from students that went to the same university that i attended ...when i received these calls asking for advice/help i told them all if they came to LA i could give them names , they could come out to what ever set i was working etc .. i have to say that over 15 years of taking 100's of calls not one person that said they were moving to LA that lived outside of LA ever showed up ..

the "film " business is a who you know business = if i need a PA next tuesday i'll ask my current PA's for some names 1st before i go to resumes in a folder ... from the resume i have no idea what you are like ..

so i guessing that because you're in SPAIN is the reson for no response.

IMO take a chance and you show up and take the knocks with the rest of persons here trying to intern/make it. if you do come !! you have to be open ,friendly and willing to introduce yourself to strangers , if somebody gives you a "name & number " do not hesitate -call them ASAP ...

what type of internship are you seeking ?
most interns are just unpaid PA's/runners ..

i just watched your short .. YOU have it !! .. IMO take the $$ you would spend on airflight, rent in NYC and make another movie !! i think you'll get far more out of making another project then taking intern in NYC ..
Old May 25th, 2005, 10:48 PM   #399
Major Player

There are times in our life when we have to just go for it. You are young and have what you need. If you want to work in NYC, you need to be in NYC. If you want to be a filmmaker in NYC, then go do that. Figure out what your resources are, and how long they will last under different scenarios. Figure out what compromises you are willing to make, and when you will make them. Don't work in a burger joint the first week, but after that, it all depends on your resources, commitment, opportunities that you find, etc. Some compromise examples:

1. Working at minimum wage job to pay bills
2. Sharing an apt with 17 other people
3. Taking ANY job in your field, even being the doughnut guy or bicycle delivery guy.
4. Working for free.
5. Working for yourself doing a related field (freelance camera guy, etc)

Your resources include cash, equipment, friends, brains, talent, humility, aggressiveness, perserverance, and more.

Plan plan plan, then take your best shot and go. If you have detailed plan, you can adapt better than if you do not. Best of luck.
Old May 26th, 2005, 02:25 AM   #400
Trustee

Mike,
Get in touch if you ever need anyting in south Florida.
Bruce Yarock
Old May 26th, 2005, 03:44 AM   #401
Regular Crew

I hear you Don but see this is a mandatory internship(i can do whatever i want as long as it's abroad) for school so no matter what i have to do it. and yes i intend to make another movie next summer and for this i'd rather stay in France right now(i'm currently in an exchange programm in Spain) because we get A LOT of financial help by the government, know what i mean?
I don't mind having to work as bicycle guy or stuff like that, i prefer doing that than working at pizza hut. and as they say once you can make it in NYC you can make it anywhere...

do you guys know if they hire a lot of set photographers overthere?

all right i gotta go back to my research thanks for your support people!
Old May 26th, 2005, 07:46 AM   #402
Major Player

Bruce - thanks, I greatly appreciate the offer for south Florida. If something comes up on this or any other projects - I'll let you know. Too bad I didn't have your name about a year ago - I needed to shoot an interview in Melbourne FL - I had to leave the beauty of the Northeast in early March and make the ultimate sacrifice and travel to Florida - all that sun was depressing!
Old May 26th, 2005, 07:52 AM   #403
Major Player

By the way, I am still looking for shooters, especially on the west coast (LA/Seattle). I have a tentative contact for the Cleveland area shoot but if you are still interested in helping, let me know in case he can't do it for some reason.

I want to emphasize that while probably not commercial rates (OK - definately not commercial rates!) this is a paying gig for a shooter with some experience. I appreciate all the help from folks on this forum.
Old May 26th, 2005, 08:13 AM   #404
Capt. Quirk

Uhhhh.... Mike?

<------------
hehe

I'm in Central Fla, and could always make room to help out too :)
Old May 26th, 2005, 09:14 AM   #405
Major Player

Keith - Oh darn - You mean I gave up 3 days in sleet, slush and snow to suffer in the sun?
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Helping Hands