Helping Hands from 2005 - Page 17 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Helping Hands
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Helping Hands
Post a job, find a job, hire a crew, join a crew... seek out and deploy!

Closed Thread

Old March 26th, 2005, 02:53 PM   #241
Major Player

i dont see any of new orleans, where did you find it on that site
Old March 26th, 2005, 04:34 PM   #242
Regular Crew

http://www.berning.com/stock.html

Try this site. Like I said before you can go to Google and search for stock footage or try Stock Footage-New Orleans and look for sites that way.

There are several companies that provide stock footage as package bundles. Some of them will even give you a deal where you can download whatever you need from them. However, most of them also will give you various CD or DVD sets with a very wide range of shots. They may cost a few hundred dollars but believe me when I tell you that it is cheaper to get some footage that way than it is to actually shoot them yourself. For instance aerial photography will cost you a minimum of $100 an hour for a small airplane and pilot. I used to take people up for that very thing when I was flight instructing years ago. The prices of aircraft rentals have gone up quite a bit since then. Helicoptors start out at about three times as much for a little two seater Robinson and go up to $500 to $600 an hour for a Bell Jet Ranger. So $300 and hour vs $100 an hour for shots of one city may not be quite as economical as paying $500 for a bundle of CD's with arials from all over the world. Cities, mountains, deserts, farms and fields. Anything you get from these companies is yours to use in any way you want. For ever! I am doing a movie in the St. Louis area and will do the same when it comes time to edit the thing.
Old March 26th, 2005, 06:31 PM   #243
Major Player

Cleveland

Would have posted sooner but it still had my old email address. So when I updated it wouldn't let me answer.

Sure, I'm free to answer questions.

Gary
Old March 26th, 2005, 07:23 PM   #244
Regular Crew

Gary,

That's good to hear. For now I am focusing on finishing the script and getting it copywrited. Once I finish that, I will get in touch with you. I am doing my best to write at least a few pages a day. At that rate I sould be able to finish in a month or two. Depending on the rewrite and editing.

My email is Cleveij@aol.com or PavonineDigital@aol.com
Old March 26th, 2005, 07:36 PM   #245
Major Player

Sounds good.

To me story is king.

One of my favorite sayings is.

You can make a bad movie from a great script. But you can't make a great movie from a bad script.
Old March 26th, 2005, 07:51 PM   #246
Regular Crew

I can't agree with you more. I'm working on a really good one right now and I have my next four already swirling around in the old nogen. Non of them are something I have seen before. I figure that should give me something to do for the next 20 years. Sorry if I don't want to divulge too much information about it right now but I have no doubt you understand. I just want to make movies and the only way I see to do it is to do it.
Old March 29th, 2005, 07:01 AM   #247
Major Player

I don't want to pollute this post but Victor's posts give the impression that you can't work in France if you're not white and I can't watch this without writing something.
Yes, there is racism in France. But where in the world is there not ?
The "jokes" you have been told show that you dealt with less than subtle people.
I also believe that if you want to work in the movie industry in France, you better come from a known school and/or have connections. Otherwise, good luck !
The French people are very protective of their culture ? True, and I think they are right.
Are they xenophobic for other cultures ? Absolutely not. Go and visit the museums in Paris and you will find an impressive number of different cultures exposed. And I don't think there is another city in the world than Paris where you can see movies from so different countries. This week 14 movies were released in France. 7 American, 4 French, 1 Irish, 1 Vietnamese and 1 German. Next week you will have Polish, Romanian, Korean and Brasilian movies. And guess what, in 2 weeks you can discover Russian, Japanese, English and Italian movies. And it is like that every week (more or less).
Well, I will not bother you anymore but, Victor please, find something else than "because I am not white", especially in this industry.

Sans rancune et bonne continuation.
Old March 29th, 2005, 07:54 AM   #248
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Benjamin Durin : I don't want to pollute this post but Victor's posts give the impression that you can't work in France if you're not white and I can't watch this without writing something.
Yes, there is racism in France. But where in the world is there not ?
The "jokes" you have been told show that you dealt with less than subtle people.
I also believe that if you want to work in the movie industry in France, you better come from a known school and/or have connections. Otherwise, good luck !
The French people are very protective of their culture ? True, and I think they are right.
Are they xenophobic for other cultures ? Absolutely not. Go and visit the museums in Paris and you will find an impressive number of different cultures exposed. And I don't think there is another city in the world than Paris where you can see movies from so different countries. This week 14 movies were released in France. 7 American, 4 French, 1 Irish, 1 Vietnamese and 1 German. Next week you will have Polish, Romanian, Korean and Brasilian movies. And guess what, in 2 weeks you can discover Russian, Japanese, English and Italian movies. And it is like that every week (more or less).
Well, I will not bother you anymore but, Victor please, find something else than "because I am not white", especially in this industry.

Sans rancune et bonne continuation. -->>>

true
Old March 29th, 2005, 05:14 PM   #249
Regular Crew

besides your movie "the chinese shoe" got some quite good reviews in france didn't it?
Old March 29th, 2005, 07:55 PM   #250
Inner Circle

>>If you want to meet to talk about a joint venture ... tell me when you have time, lets do lunch.<<

Daniel, I'm civilian contractor, not military. I'll know next week for sure if I'm going. I've been wanting to get back to Germany since I lived there a while ago. I love the culture, the people and it's beautiful. The cities are clean and you can drink the water :). The rent is not near as bad as here in the Washiington DC area, even with the lousy dollar/euro exchange rate. Yes I know kaiserslautern is sort of the boondocks, but thats not too bad either. I plan to live well away from the American area. I'm not going over there just to experience other Americans.

So if you mean it, and I get there, yes...Lets do lunch, my treat, besides I would rather go up to Frankfurt and visit their. Sorry if my Deutsch is a little rusty.

Victor, only you can say what really happened. I beleive you when you say there is discrimination, just wish things were better for you.
I disagree that Xenophobia is a good thing. It causes implosion and slow death, not preservation. Fortunately the french people have a knack for deciding for themselves what is good and what isn't, in spite of govt cultural edits and lame laws.

If I make it to Germany, maybe we can get together and talk movies. I'll be about 300 miles (or less) from Paris, not much if I take a fast train. Have you ever heard of Jon Jost? I hope to hook up with him while there too. He recently shot 2 movies set in Paris and is selling the DVDs direct. One of them involves french/american relationships before they chilled.

Unfortunately, if I get the chance to do filming, I have to work for free because of SOFA (Status of Forces Agreements) with Germany. But participate I will. Hope there are some Vegas users over there.

I already own a PAL cam.
Old March 29th, 2005, 08:07 PM   #251
Wrangler

WHoops, I saw this too late.
Old March 30th, 2005, 12:01 PM   #252
Regular Crew

looking for doc shooter for Washington, DC shoot

Hi all,
I'm an independant filmmaker working out of Toronto on a documentary on activism.
The WTO is holding its annual meeting in Washington DC from April 15-18. Unfortunately I can't be there as I will be in Oregon covering another protest. This will be a very interesting shoot with tons of color and energy and no shortage of intensity!!! Thousands of activists and protestors are expected to be there. I really need an experienced shooter with a DVX100 who would be willing to go and cover the protests in Washington from April 15-18 or part thereof. It will be in 24p letterboxed. I have a very limited budget......tape stock, food, a few bucks. Obviously credit. If I ever show up in Washington, or you come to central Canada, I will buy you beer!!! Maybe even find you a place to stay. At this point the whole film is out of my own pocket so I can't pay day rate or scale. I should add that the protests may get rough, as WTO and G8 protests in the past have proven. Please call me at 647.895.8045 or email me at evolve@primus.ca
Cheers

Tony
Old March 30th, 2005, 10:51 PM   #253
Regular Crew

Shooter on Delmarva looking for work

I live on the border of Maryland and Delaware and I'm available for shooting. I've got a decent set-up starting with a new XL-2 w/Anton Bauer battery, Manfrotto MDeVe tripod w/503 head, Frezzi Mini Fill, 2 Azden wireless lavs, wireless handheld, wired handheld, and Azden SGM-2X shotgun, Studio 1 XLR-BP3 Pro audio adapter, a Sony GV-D1000 VTR, a couple sets of Halogen work lights, and, maybe, (I'll know if my bid won on the 31st) a couple of Smith Victor Q-60's. I also have a Honda 3000 watt generator. (quiet sucker) FOr editing I use Adobe Premier Pro or Ulead's Media Studio Pro and Cool 3D Production Suite.

I've done quite a few programs for the local Chamber of Commerce that were aired on PAC 14, our local access channel. Most of these were straight-up shoots of guest speakers, but a couple were event coverage including a Fireman's Muster, a banquet for a past county council member, and a short documentary on the Ward Museum of Wildfowl Art.

I'd like to help on an event shoot, wedding, or short subject film.

I can't do it for free, but I wouldn't charge much, maybe enough to cover expences. Willing to travel, within reason. I can be reached by e-mail or reply to this thread.

Dan
Old March 31st, 2005, 08:31 PM   #254
Regular Crew

Indie in Hawaii

We are planning a DV indie production. Is there anyone in Hawaii that is interested in joining up?
Old March 31st, 2005, 08:56 PM   #255
Major Player

Cool New Toys

Hi,
I have three image converters on standby, 2XGS200 and a few other cameras and I need two camera operators from Vancouver (in Vancouver) for Saturday and Sunday evening/night.
No pay but plenty of good food and you will get the chance to shoot with the brightest image converters/primes and keep some footage for your demo.
Email me ASAP or call 604-780-1818 if available.
Sorry but experienced only, please.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Helping Hands