Helping Hands from 2005 - Page 19 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Helping Hands
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Helping Hands
Post a job, find a job, hire a crew, join a crew... seek out and deploy!

Closed Thread

Old April 13th, 2005, 01:28 PM   #271
Major Player

I'm also interested! I live in London but I frequently visit Toronto. Have an XL1S incase you needed a 3rd camera.
Old April 13th, 2005, 06:58 PM   #272
Regular Crew

Alaska videographer

Looking for a cameraman in Alaska this summer. Prefer someone with outdoors experience. Will be taping several fishing guides in different areas of the state. Job doesn't pay, but it will be a great time and get to do a little fishing as well.
Old April 14th, 2005, 05:35 AM   #273
New Boot

Job wanted in Hampshire/Surrey, England

I know it's a bit naive but I need a job asap and it has to be in the film industry. I quit college after 6 months because they were teaching me 'by the books' and I started losing my creativity. I'm only sixteen and have told my family I will go back to college in September but I want to get a ob so I don't have to. I do nothing during the week and have a Sunday job at a supermarket. As i'm only sixteen I can't drive, I am going to be a film director some day but with no experience on film production I can't practice now and I need some funding. I would jump at the chance of being a runner or something and working my way up- I just need to be given the chance. As there isn't much round here I would be happy to expand my horizons to London (an hour train journey away)!

Please help!!!
Old April 14th, 2005, 07:00 AM   #274
Regular Crew

Hari,

I am still interested in getting more film makers in this area organized together. It is difficult though, because as you can see, I posted this thread about two months ago and have recieved only a few replies. That tells me two things. One, there are not a lot of people around St. Louis who use these boards, or two, it is likely that they either just don't look in this section or are not interested.

I am writing a screenplay right now that I would like to roll tape on sometime around the first week march, next year. If you are still interested when the time comes, maybe we can work something out.
Old April 14th, 2005, 07:52 AM   #275
Regular Crew

I'm in

Cleve,

I think there are lot of film makers around st.louis. But they are not visiting this forum. cinemastlouis.com this gives info about lot of film folks.

Regarding your project I'm willing to contribute something to your project. Keep me in loop.

Regards,
Hari
Old April 14th, 2005, 11:34 AM   #276
Major Player

I guess I don't know how the school system works over there but just out of curiosity, how does one drop out of "College" at the age of 16?
Also, besides the legal limits of working with someone your age (can't even sign a legal contract) one problem you may (will) run into is that there are tens of thousands of people with experience AND a college degree "willing to be a runner and work there way up." The competition is going to be fierce for you. I wish you luck but if I were you I would stay in school and learn what you can while honing your craft AND also trying to get some work.
It's all big and grandiose to think you don't want (or need) to learn "by-the-books" but the reality is, the books are usually right about a lot of things and ALSO, when you get into the "real world", you don't get to make those decisions. It will probably be many years before you get to call the shots, the "client" calls them for you. The sooner you learn that, the better off you'll be because nobody cares that it's cramping your creativity, we've all got problems, that's why you "learn" to deal with it in school.

I didn't mean to lecture you but I just wanted to give you a reality check. You don't just make it in Hollywood by showing up (or asking them to come get you).
Old April 14th, 2005, 12:49 PM   #277
Capt. Quirk

Jeez Dad... Why don't you just ground her? Just kidding ;) I agree, it's going to be hard, at least it would be over here. But, being British, I have no doubt that they do things a bit different. At least as far as school goes.

Business is business, and experience will get you far. I suggest trying to intern, and work up from there. Learn everything you can, which includes books, magazines, and extra curricular activities here at DVInfo.
Old April 14th, 2005, 01:20 PM   #278
New Boot

I will say thankyou for your reply but I am not very happy with the content. I don't see the need in you writing that and patronising me. You don't know me and you don't know what my mental age is- I can tell you it's a lot older than my actual age. The school system is extremely different in England. You go to Secondary school up until the age of 15/16 and then have the choice whether or not you go to 6th form college and then university.
I am aware that it will not be easy but I have what it takes to succeed: determination, passion and drive. My favourite director (Quentin Tarantino) dropped out of high school and look how successful he is. He worked extremely hard to get where he is today, maybe even harder than academics.
Thankyou again for your 'reality check' but I don't think I need a pessimistic opinion.
Old April 14th, 2005, 01:25 PM   #279
New Boot

I would just like to add that I think it quite pathetic that you take time out to criticise people like me, with an ambition. I think it is sad that you take pleasure and satisfaction out of trying to put me down by boosting your own ego. I'm sure you have not fulfilled your ambition because I would know your name- maybe there is some envy in your words...
Old April 14th, 2005, 01:32 PM   #280
Major Player

You're my hero.

Where's MY slave? Where's MY whip?

French guys have all the fun!!
Old April 14th, 2005, 03:24 PM   #281
Major Player

Sound Recordist Wanted in NY

Our producer is looking for a sound recordist in Dutchess County, NY for week in May. Must be experienced with drama and have equipment. Low budget but paying.
Old April 14th, 2005, 03:57 PM   #282
Major Player

Bla-Bla-Bla

I was just trying to be realistic. If you were really serious about being some big-time film maker then wouldn't you be doing ANY job you could get and saving money for a camera and just start making films? (instead of only working one day a week)
I can understand "wanting a job in the industry" but let's be realistic, how many 16y/o have you seen on film sets (aside from actors)? Helping out indy's or local productions would be great! Just keep in mind, it's not usually a "full-time" job. Maybe a day or two here and there.
I said that I didn't know how it works over there, didn't you read? Here in the USA you can NOT legally sign a contract (like a contract employment, NDA, service etc.) until you are 18 years old. It doesn't have anything to do with your mental age, it's the law. I know a guy who is very talented and seems pretty committed to his craft but he was only 17 years old (he's 18 now). No matter how much I liked him or trusted him, there was NO way I could be legally protected because he couldn't sign an NDA to work on my clients project. Who do you think I had to use to do the job? I had to hire someone else because the client couldn't/wouldn't risk the exposure.
Oh well, I'm probably wasting my breath here because you've already made up your mind I'm a nobody jerk who just doesn't like you because you're young and only came here to pick on you and beat you down. Get used to it. This isn't a field for those with delicate egos and although you claim to be more mature, it's not really showing right now.
Old April 14th, 2005, 09:52 PM   #283
Regular Crew

I sent out some emails best to forward me your number or call me at 905 685-3743 this is the studio number I am here 12-14 hours of the day...depending

thanks all for your interest.!

Pete
Old April 15th, 2005, 10:34 AM   #284
Major Player

Hi everyone! I need someone to create some cool bumpers

Hi everyone! I need someone to create some cool bumpers

for a weekly tv show I am producing...

Anyone here good with animated, fun, compelling bumpers?

thanks!
Old April 16th, 2005, 10:39 AM   #285
Regular Crew

Bumpers eh? Brent what's your email?
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Helping Hands