Helping Hands from 2005 - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Helping Hands

Helping Hands
Post a job, find a job, hire a crew, join a crew... seek out and deploy!

Closed Thread

Old January 14th, 2005, 09:40 PM   #46
Major Player

the domain "optonline.net" is one of the biggest spammers I've ever seen! I blocked them in all of my email accounts. You might want to try a different email handler, they don't inspire much confidence.
Old January 14th, 2005, 11:37 PM   #47
Major Player

Just a quick note, "optonline" is short for "Optimum Online": the ISP end of Cablevision--the cable company here on Long Island--and the only choice I've got for broadband (no DSL at my location, and too many trees for satellite, if I wanted it). It's ridiculously fast, if a bit expensive.

My point being, by blocking that domain, you're blocking an entire ISP's worth of email addresses, not just one email service. If you don't know anyone who uses it, I suppose it's no big deal, but still...

And I suspect the reason your emails bounced back, Jim, is because the "www." should not be at the head of an email address. Try getting rid of those, it might work.

Sorry to clutter the place!
Old January 15th, 2005, 08:52 AM   #48
Regular Crew

Getting a budget. Advice please

Hi everyone. I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post but here goes:

I am currently writing a script for a film that will hopefully be between 60 and 75 minutes and I hope to shoot around Summer/Autumn. My main concern at the moment is raising a budget. I can save around £3000.00 I think but I could do with more as a back up. Can anyone give me any advise as to how I can get together some more money for this? Bear in mind that I am an amateur, have no prior films to showcase so in all not a lot going for me, save for an unfinished script. I live in the UK also.

I have contacted several areas I wish to shoot in and have spoken to local councils, I've also contacted an actor to which I received a positive response and likewise a musician. For interior locations I may need to spend the bulk of my budget, it's too hard to say for sure.

I want to raise funds hopefully without going through any film institutes as many seem to be just too awkward and not guaranteed anyway and I still want to keep this as independent as possible. So if anyone has any ideas as to how I can go about this or cut costs altogether then I'd really appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,
Kev
Old January 15th, 2005, 09:41 AM   #49
Major Player

Duh...of course.

Robert, thanks pointing out what I should have noticed.
Old January 15th, 2005, 09:52 PM   #50
New Boot

Sorry folks for not being able to get through on the email addresses.Meanwhile I have a shoot on January 29th and some weekly cable show stuff coming up soon also.
Just post a reply if you're interested.-Tom
Old January 16th, 2005, 02:23 PM   #51
Major Player

Hey Robert, thanks for the heads up on the "optonline" ISP.
For a long time it seemed every piece of spam I got was from somebody@optonline.net so I had to finally block the entire domain. Some ISP's like mine (cox) are very strict about email use. I hope they (optonline) have changed their rules because it isn't very fair to all their users who may now be blocked unknowingly.
Good info to know, thanks. I thought it had something to do with "Opt-online" as in, please spam me.
Old January 16th, 2005, 11:42 PM   #52
New Boot

Bump. I freaking desperate at this point. I will also be willing to give a percentage of the profits should there be any.
Old January 17th, 2005, 12:06 AM   #53
New Boot

Anyone From Sf Bay Area With A Fx1?

We are shooting a sci-fi short and really need a DP. Everything is set for early February shoot, except for camera. We got access to a DVX100 but we think a FX1 would look better and also it'll be better for green screening. Crew consists of both student and professional level talents. It'll be a high production value and fun project. Let me know if you have a sony FX1 and want to test your cam on our project. I'm alos willing to rent it if you offer a good price.

gino
ginodo@digi-do.com
Old January 17th, 2005, 10:57 AM   #54
Tourist

Indie Horror Script For Sale - "Primal Myth"

PRIMAL MYTH

Sarah's life is shattered when her five year old daughter disappears in the woods. A year later she sees signs that her daughter might be alive - or is Sarah loosing her mind?

Genre: Horror

PRIMAL MYTH - Seeing is believing

The woods hide many secrets...

Some are hidden very deep...

SARAH lives a happy life with her husband, and their five year old daughter ERICA. Life is good. But Sarah's life turns into a nightmare when her daughter disappears in the woods.

A YEAR LATER she sees signs that her daughter might be alive - or is Sarah loosing her mind? When looking at the last photograph taken of Erica - they spot a dark SHAPE behind her in the photo. When she unravels the truth - the ultimate terror is unleashed!

The script is WGA registered, and designed for a small budget - few locations and characters.

If you want to read the script - contact: henke@nocashfilm.com (and I'll email it to you)
Old January 17th, 2005, 11:37 AM   #55
Air China Pilot

//Sarah's life is shattered when her five year old daughter disappears in the woods. A year later she sees signs that her daughter might be alive - or is Sarah loosing her mind? //

LOSING her mind. Not LOOSING.

It's a bad thing to have a typo in your log line.
Old January 18th, 2005, 05:26 AM   #56
RED Code Chef

I can't help you with specifics or how easy it would be to get your
foot in the door, but England seems to be the movie making capital
of Europe I'd say. Lot's of movie work going on there and there are
often Hollywood movies in production there as well.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old January 18th, 2005, 07:40 AM   #57
RED Code Chef

So if I understand you correctly this is your first movie you are
going to make? In all honousty I would not make such a long
movie as your first one or consider raising money. In my opinion
both things are too high a risk for a first timer (no offense!).

My first movie to this date isn't even finished yet and that was a
short from a couple of minutes. My second movie is finished and
is also a short. From both I've learned so very much and one of
the main things was that it takes a LOT of time for even a short
to happen.

Doing a 60 - 75 minute movie is a MASSIVE undertaking that will
take enormous (think years, especially if it is your first) amounts
of time and usually money.

Why not let this script rest and do a couple of shorts first? This
should greatly help you to:

- try your complete workflow (writing, pre-production, actors/acting, shooting, editing etc.)
- learn what works and doesn't
- hopefully build some good shorts that can inspire people to fund you in the future for your bigger projects
- better estimate what kind of work you are looking at for your large movie both in time, people and money

I'm sorry I can't give you any specific directions for your budget,
but I really thought a strong warning was needed here.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old January 18th, 2005, 08:07 AM   #58
Tourist

Thanks!
Old January 18th, 2005, 10:45 AM   #59
Regular Crew

Thanks Rob, that's good advice and I could well save me future headaches by keeping it short. The good thing is that my script is still at an early stage and I may be able to work it as a 30 minute film.
Old January 18th, 2005, 10:53 AM   #60
Inner Circle

France is and always has been a great place to make films. Everything I've heard and read points that out. I'm pretty sure some of our members have actual experience over there. If I could I would move to France for a year or two just to make movies.

But like most of Europe, budgets are usually much smaller than in the US. Even for independents.

There is also a lot of TV being done for both the Euro and International market, so there is more than just features to check out.

Italy is a very political scene, with some strict laws about foreigners making features, but there are a surprising number of expat Americans living and making movies in and around Rome. At least thats what me son told me when he interned under Jon Jost a few years ago.

I know next to nothing about the former east block nations, but hear good things about the Czeck republic and Prague.

Good Luck.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Helping Hands