Vignette problem - Page 23 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 15th, 2007, 08:20 PM   #331
Major Player

Mark,

Can you give us your opinions after you finish?
Old December 15th, 2007, 08:23 PM   #332
Major Player

John,

No I am going to ring Sony Australia first. If they say the back focus correction is the answer, I will do it. If that doesn't work I will ask them to allow a return (very reluctantly), or get it fixed locally ASAP.

I still am not sure however, that the amount of vignetting that I see will be a problem - but Steve's experience says that it might.
Old December 15th, 2007, 08:32 PM   #333
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme Fullick View Post
I am going to ring Sony Australia first. If they say the back focus correction is the answer, I will do it. If that doesn't work I will ask them to allow a return (very reluctantly), or get it fixed locally ASAP.
Could you let me know the number you're going to call? If we both call the same people it may add weight to our case should we need it.

You can email it to me on hhewat@bigpond.net.au if it's inappropriate to post it publicly.

Thank you so much!
Old December 15th, 2007, 08:35 PM   #334
Major Player

John,

I will be ringing my dealer first to get the number. As soon as I find out what it is I will let you know.
Old December 15th, 2007, 08:36 PM   #335
Trustee

There has not an official response from Sony. We've only heard second hand information from dealers.
I've been in contact with the Sony Techs here in the states, and they stated they will contact me when they get a response from Sony japan.

They called me last week just to let me know they were still waiting.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2007, 11:05 PM   #336
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme Fullick View Post
John,

A word of warning to Serena - it does not show on the LCD which is a normal scan monitor (there is no all scan setting on the EX - a feature I miss from the Z1), but it will be there in the Sony clip viewer, and if your NLE can be switched to full overscan (such as in Avid Liquid that I use) it is very easy to see.
Despite feeling quite non-technical with a cold that's trying to become flu, I've checked out my camera more carefully.
1) it does have slight shading on the right hand side (t & b) at the mentioned focal length range. It is a small fall-off on the waveform monitor and quite confined to the corners. Interestingly it isn't much affected by aperture.
2) the LCD does show the full FOV, as you would expect. Looking very carefully at the LCD I could see the corner darkening, but that wasn't my test of the FOV.

Shooting under practical conditions I couldn't detect the corner problem at all, even with the subject selected to show it. Shooting for chroma key might make it an issue, but generally screens are lit far more unevenly.

I will be mentioning it to Danny and inquiring elsewhere about the technical issues involved. I understand that it is a matter of centering the lens, which I suspect is a very tricky business.
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2007, 11:06 PM   #337
Regular Crew

John, I emailed Danny and referenced this thread, requesting that the two cameras waiting for me, and DP friend, are perhaps checked by Pro Hi-Tech before shipping. If it was confirmed to be as simple as the DIY back focus procedure, I could do that myself.

Edit: I just read Graeme's reply to Eric's DIY Back Focus Correction thread. mmm, or perhaps, grrr...

Last edited by Christopher Barry; December 15th, 2007 at 11:16 PM. Reason: I tumbled a little deeper down the rabbit hole.
Christopher Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 12:30 AM   #338
Regular Crew

Serena, thanks for the feedback. Get well soon.

Danny will be flooded with calls and emails on Monday morning.
Christopher Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 05:01 AM   #339
Major Player

I guess that rules out the theory that the 2000 series cameras are a revised batch that don't have the issue then, keep us informed how you get on with sorting it out.

It's a shame Chris has locked the vignette discussion as the subject is going to span multiple threads and be harder to track now, I'd say this issue is far from solved at the moment.

regards

Paul.
Old December 16th, 2007, 10:11 AM   #340
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Joy View Post
It's a shame Chris has locked the vignette discussion as the subject is going to span multiple threads and be harder to track now...
The vignette discussion is now unlocked and the thread formerly known as "EX 1 in AUstralia" has been merged into it. About this thread... I am watching it very closely, and it is important for all who are following this issue to understand how this site works. This message board does not work like typical internet forum sites. It is designed specifically to be focused on technical and creative matters *only.* The idea is to show a *streamlined* discussion which quickly gets to the matter without a lot of noise (opinions, rants, etc.) in the way. Now back to the topic at hand... thanks in advance,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 10:34 AM   #341
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
The vignette discussion is now unlocked
Thanks Chris, that's much appreciated.

regards

Paul.
Old December 16th, 2007, 07:29 PM   #342
New Boot

Mine is looking very much like John's in post #311. (S/N 100297).

The vignetting is minor, but definitely present in the upper and lower right corners from about 10-25MM. Panning with OIS on within this focal range very much aggravates the problem.

I am waiting to talk to my dealer, and to Sony for instructions.
Bob Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 10:32 PM   #343
Regular Crew

No Vignette problem?

What percentage of the EX1s do not have the problem?

Just wondering if I buy an EX1 am I guaranteed to get a "bad" one?

thanks
Charles Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 12:53 AM   #344
Major Player

Not much will be happening in Australia over the Christmas-January period, so might as well keep shooting and really make sure the problem can't be lived with. Shading isn't uncommon in lenses and most operators are able to live with it. My guess (note guess) is that the lens just covers the field and small errors in centering result in a corner or corners dropping in intensity (some will be worse than others); we have examples with shading in different corners. Anyway, here in Melbourne Pro Hi-Tech are not up to full training on the camera and are yet to be advised by Sony of any fix.
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 01:40 AM   #345
Major Player

Serena,

Spoke to my dealer this morning, who contacted Sony immediately. They were aware of the problem from the US, but thought that the batch we received (2000##) were all passed OK.

Obviously not - but our problems seem far less apparent than the ones in the US.

The dealer told me that Sony had sent a technical bulletin from Japan about the issue which I expect to receive tomorrow.

Hope it is good news - but I like you will be shooting with the camera anyway.

All the best,

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds