Picture Profile Recipes - Page 17 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 23rd, 2008, 05:48 PM   #241
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Aaron View Post
I just went on a shoot for promotional video. The director is a 35mm film purist who was doing the shoot for charity and had to use low end HD (my EX1 and another XL H1). When he asked which should be used for A camera and which should be used for B I said use the XL H1 since it had a wide angle lens...but by the end of the night I feel like my camera had turned into the A camera along the way...thanks to the film curve pp...the closeups on the EX1 were just more impressive...yayy film curve pp...thanks for posting this stuff dudes and dudettes...

:D
Great story. Can you be specific about what lighting you were under and what "film curve" you used?

Thanks
Michael H. Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 05:54 PM   #242
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Sykes View Post
Bill do you have another updated SUF file with your recent settings we could upload. Your previous black settings went down to -8 do all your PPs black levels now go up by 4?

Also I am videoing a wedding on Monday. The church is quite dimly lit, but the aisle shot is likely to be backlit from the main windows at the front of church. I would like to have more detail in the blacks so can brighten them if necessary in post.

I will probably need to use several picture profiles in the church.

1) Aisle bright backlit shot in dim church
2) Stage shot, under a mixture of white stage spots (unfortunately not evenly dispersed lighting)
3) Signing of the register - dimly lit.

Is cine4 better in bringing up more contrasts in the blacks or would std1 with a modified PP be better.

I would like some practical answers please!

Thanks
If your church is dark in the foreground you will likely not need to drop the Black master, but do check with you histogram to make sure it bottoms out. To get more details in the blacks put the Black Gamma into positive territory but go easy because you will get more noise especially if you are using Gain. IMHO if you have your gain at anything over 0 then do not go for the black detail without experimenting first. If you expose right you will be able to bring it up in post, so make sure you do not underexpose. Use CINE4 to maximise your brightness in the dark areas.

Mike
Old March 24th, 2008, 02:16 AM   #243
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael H. Stevens View Post
If your church is dark in the foreground you will likely not need to drop the Black master, but do check with you histogram to make sure it bottoms out. To get more details in the blacks put the Black Gamma into positive territory but go easy because you will get more noise especially if you are using Gain. IMHO if you have your gain at anything over 0 then do not go for the black detail without experimenting first. If you expose right you will be able to bring it up in post, so make sure you do not underexpose. Use CINE4 to maximise your brightness in the dark areas.

Mike
Thanks Mike. I'll give that a try. I'll let you know how it went soon.

Steve
Old March 24th, 2008, 05:12 AM   #244
Regular Crew

Help

HI, I did try somes PP here, especially the one from Bill R. But unfortunaly I am a litte confuse with all the settings in the PP (lack of technical image background, I was writing (in french) for press before.
Next week, i'll leave Dakar, Sénégal for a 10 days shooting in Guinea and I GOt my a EX1 since one week oming after my Sony HVR-A1E and my Canon XL1.
What could be good PP choices for highlight sunydays and higlights cloudy days and black actors ?
(I am doing films and reports in Africa (mostly west since 10 years).
Old March 24th, 2008, 09:57 AM   #245
Major Player

I think Bill's settings but with CINE 4 gamma should be good. CINE 4 opens up the shadows more than the other gammas.

Last edited by Eric Pascarelli; March 24th, 2008 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Correction - changed "Bruce" to "Bill"
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 10:41 AM   #246
Regular Crew

Bruce

I dot not find Bruce PP here. Where are they in this thread ? ? ?
Thanks !

Bruno
Old March 24th, 2008, 10:43 AM   #247
Major Player

Bruno - I corrected my post - I meant Bill, not Bruce.
Old March 24th, 2008, 11:13 AM   #248
Regular Crew

Bruce = BILL

OK Bruce = Bill OKAY. Thanks.
Old March 24th, 2008, 02:02 PM   #249
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Pascarelli View Post
I think Bill's settings but with CINE 4 gamma should be good. CINE 4 opens up the shadows more than the other gammas.
......... but if you are in a hot bright sky as Africa is then CINE4 is "too bright" for the top. Use CINE1 and set the black point and black detail in the menu.
Old March 24th, 2008, 09:56 PM   #250
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael H. Stevens View Post
Great story. Can you be specific about what lighting you were under and what "film curve" you used?

Thanks
Used the "film curve" pp from the excel spreadsheet first couple o threads...we shot at night, outside, with five HMIs at various watts...
Chris Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 10:05 PM   #251
Major Player

From my tests, the rolloff at the top is more or less the same for all the Cine gammas - it's mostly the shadows that are affected.

But the best thing to do us to test it yourself.
Old March 29th, 2008, 07:01 PM   #252
Major Player

Just the thread I was looking for

All said in the title.
Anmol Mishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2008, 03:41 PM   #253
Major Player

anyone studied what the gamma number is? I had a chance to play around with picture profile settings for a few min on an EX1 in B&H the other day, and the gamma number didnt seem to do what i would have expected. i often found that boosting gamma would actually cause weird problems in highlights. while in one of the CINE gamma modes, i boosted the gamma thinking it would lighten the image, but instead it had a really weird effect on the white level. at higher gamma numbers, the white level would decrease so that clipped, pure white was actually more of a light grey... it also certainly struck me that it takes a bit of tweaking to actually use your the full IRE range. but the area spot meter on the EX1 is an awesome feature for tweaking this. anyway, id definitely like to see someone do a study on the exact effect of each setting on the overall light response curve. or i would love to get my hands on a camera and do it myself... till then, im sure using it for 8bit log images is probably out without significant testing. would also like to look further into how to optimize the image for nice looking highlight rolloff. cine modes are nice, but i feel there is more that can be done to truly make the highlights look organic. i did love using the camera in the few minutes i did, i like the look of boosted black gamma with a nice cine curve and sharpening off. awesome low noise, and really nice lens for sure.
Noah Yuan-Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2008, 04:48 PM   #254
Major Player

I posted this elsewhere, but Gamma is actually better thought of as white level...BUT postive Gamma lowers the white level, so a negative # will move you further towards clipping, not away from it. I will post some pictures later.
Randy Strome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 08:46 AM   #255
New Boot

The color RED

Thanks Bill for your picture profile. I am still getting a orange cast to my reds, especially on my cam monitor. It is not as bad on a Sony LCD but still there. Anyone have a profile for doing plays with all the spot lights and stage lights?

Don Deignan
Don Deignan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds