abrupt highlights clipping - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 8th, 2008, 10:49 AM   #136
Trustee

Piotr,
I guess you would of been relieved a lot sooner. Maybe you skipped over the Adam Walt's reference earlier on in this thread? :)

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showpost.php?...6&postcount=64

Well, of course this helped when you found out that backing off on the saturation was the fix.

It makes me wonder if Sony could offer a parameter to roll the saturation off on the top end where highlights start to get clipped.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 10:55 AM   #137
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas View Post
Piotr,
I guess you would of been relieved a lot sooner. Maybe you skipped over the Adam Walt's reference earlier on in this thread? :)

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showpost.php?...6&postcount=64

Well, of course this helped when you found out that backing off on the saturation was the fix.

It makes me wonder if Sony could offer a parameter to roll the saturation off on the top end where highlights start to get clipped.
Yes, I must have skipped that post of yours - thanks as well. Regarding your point on a parameter to tune the highs saturation - well, it's there, but only for STD curves. I'm going to play with it, of course. However, I'd like to use the cine gammas for outside shots anyway (look how flat my last grabs look with standard gamma), and those do not offer ANY knee region adjustment at all - a pity.
Old February 8th, 2008, 11:08 AM   #138
Major Player

Piotr,
I have to say after looking at all these pictures......I like the design of your fence. Seriously.
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 01:22 PM   #139
Major Player

Piotr. I got a nice red Halo from a part overexposed image I was testing. I don't know if this is any use.
Attached Thumbnails
abrupt highlights clipping-image0.jpg  
Mark David Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 01:31 PM   #140
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Eckstein View Post
Piotr,
I have to say after looking at all these pictures......I like the design of your fence. Seriously.
I am now in such a good mood after making sure the camera is OK that I believe you, Benjamin :)
Old February 8th, 2008, 01:32 PM   #141
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark David Williams View Post
Piotr. I got a nice red Halo from a part overexposed image I was testing. I don't know if this is any use.
Mark, I don't think this is the same problem we've been discussed here; it looks to me more like the light spilling through the guys hair... But can't be sure.
Old February 8th, 2008, 01:48 PM   #142
Trustee

I'm glad you guys got it fdigured out before I got a chance to test, now what will I do with my day.
One thing I did notice though is that even in the auto knee the knee sat control is operational so you might want to try the look again with the hi sat matrix but pulling down your knee saturation. that may give you the best of both worlds. Knees sat is always dangerous when overdone and it just may be that the combination with Hi sat matrix makes it worse.

Playing with these settings has alerted me to one striking flaw with the EX though that I hope could be fixed in an upgrade. Maybe I am just mmissing it though.

Is there a way to show at one time what the PP color, white, knee and gamma settings are on a single screen. The status button doesn't include it and that's the one screen that you really would want to check constantly, especially as its really easy to hit the wrong button when saving stuff.
This sucks big time to me. the worst thing I've found on the camera.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 03:24 PM   #143
Inner Circle

Leonard,

Unfortunately, with any Cine gamma, the Knee submenu (including the point, slope AND saturation) is NOT functional (dimmed out). You can adjust all of these for any STD curve, though.

Your point about a single status screen with all currently engaged PP's settings is excellent - should go high onto the firmware update list! There are 5 pages to browse in Status, but only the name of the current PP is displayed on one of them.

As it's your idea, please put it in the relevant thread - who knows, hopefully Sony IS reading :)
Old February 8th, 2008, 03:27 PM   #144
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
PS.PS. A note to Leonard Levy: thanks Leonard for consistently supporting my opinion on the effect unacceptability throughout the whole thread!
Hey I think we all agree it was unacceptable- just disagreed on why.

Glad its sorting out for you.

By the way- what was it you found objectionable about the ND switch on the camera?
Old February 8th, 2008, 03:29 PM   #145
Major Player

Well the guy (Me) is quite a way into the shade. Sunlight is hitting the wall behind so you have an area (Me) That is underexposed and an area behind that is over exposed. The fringing around the hair shouldnt happen because Im not near the sunlight. The sunlight is behind and the halo is not through the hair its around it. Also following the brickwork too. It cant be light spill because this was an area of shade but also the halo follows the brickwork in the overexposed part.
Mark David Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 03:32 PM   #146
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Ibrahim View Post
Hey I think we all agree it was unacceptable- just disagreed on why.

Glad its sorting out for you.

By the way- what was it you found objectionable about the ND switch on the camera?
Alexander, the ND filter switch can adopt a position in between two stops, which results in what I posted here (see next posts also, explaining how and when it happened):

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....&postcount=461

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; February 8th, 2008 at 04:59 PM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 04:20 PM   #147
Major Player

Quote:
Alexander, the ND filter lever can adopt a position in between two setting, which results in what I posted here (see next posts also, explaining how and when it can happen):

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....&postcount=461
Wow, I haven't had that happen to me.

Is there a way to purposefully recreate it? If you know how to recreate it, can you use that knowledge to make it never happens by accident?
Old February 8th, 2008, 04:53 PM   #148
Inner Circle

The "opening iris effect" during filter switching I have noticed on several frames, but (perhaps pure coincidence) in SP 24PsF ONLY. The filter not having snapped properly (and thus creating the upper right vignetting effect) happened to me just once; yes I managed to recreate it intentionally - but frankly, cannot see a way to guarantee avoiding another incident like this. What the switch lacks is a proper lever/knob on it, so that it could be grabbed by and actually turned firmly, precisely and quickly between its stops; with the current construction the switch is actually slid instead of turned by the lever, which cannot be precise (just like all the other slider switches - the camera/power off/media, for one).

I'm thinking of having a knob machined nicely, and glued into the slit in the switch to create a proper lever mechanism, like those on the V1 and most other cameras I ever used. What do you think?

Looking at the pictures of the new HDV camera (Z7), I can see quite a different solution is used; no lever or slider, but a turning knob. This cannot possibly control a traditional filter, which makes me wonder if Sony adopted an all new ND filter (software?) It also has 3 and not just 2 settings (plus the "off" position, of course). And is probably ddead silent in operation - I hate the click of tranditional ND switches, getting recorded by the microphone!

As a side note, I also wonder why the CineAlta division hasn't adopted another new solution coming with the prosumer Z7 - the XtraFine VF. The one on the EX1 comes from the previous generation of cameras, and - especially when compared to the splendid LCD - is pathetic.

Hardware-wise, I personally find the ND switch and the VF to be probably the weakest points of this otherwise wonderful machine.
Old February 8th, 2008, 05:12 PM   #149
Trustee

Quote:
Leonard,

Unfortunately, with any Cine gamma, the Knee submenu (including the point, slope AND saturation) is NOT functional (dimmed out). You can adjust all of these for any STD curve, though.
Piotr,
Actually I was not refering to cine gamma which you are right about , but to the standard gammas - when auto knee is engaged you still have control over knee saturation which is exactly where your problem was occuring as I recall ( std gamma /auto knee?)

I hope Sony is listening but unfortunately i doubt it.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 05:34 PM   #150
Major Player

Quote:
I'm thinking of having a knob machined nicely, and glued into the slit in the switch to create a proper lever mechanism, like those on the V1 and most other cameras I ever used. What do you think?
Well if its causing you that much trouble then it sounds like a good idea. With caveats.

I would suggest using the least amount of "extension" that makes it work for you. We can't know if too much torque might harm the camera in some way.

Also have you considered tapping a screw hole in there and then using a machined metal screw... like on matte boxes? The advantage is that you could remove it more easily when you sell the camera or the like.

Also- check with Sony support. I am sure they'll tell you that it will void the warranty, but if they are in a good mood they may limit that voiding to the ND switch mechanism.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds