Red problem ! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 18th, 2008, 12:31 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Sean,
Quote:
I'd be interested to see if this happens in daylight
Yes it happens also in daylight. But when I have seen this on the LCD I thought I did something wrong with the white balance or similar.

Quote:
As I said before, this happened with the F23 when it first came out, and eventually was fixed once Sony admitted it was a processing issue.
I never thought about the idea that Sony will release a camcorder with such a wrong color managment, especially because it looks like not a new problem for them. To test something like this BEFORE they release a camcorder is what they have to do. I can not explain my customers that my "high-end Cine Alta" camcorder can't show correct colors... every 300$ cam you can buy can do it better!
Swen Goebbels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 02:05 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Paul, you said that you experienced this with only one subject reading incorrectly? That's starting to sound like an IR problem. Zenes, as I'm looking at your latest round of stills it seems that it is actually not just the bag, it's also the stitching that secures the strap. Another good indication of an IR problem, since the black pigments and dyes used in textiles reflect different amounts of IR light. I hope Sony is listening.

-Sean
Sean Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 04:24 PM   #33
Trustee

Wow, I had no idea this was such a big problem.
Well, will the IR reflecting filter work for sure? Is the Tiffen the only option?
If it will work I will buy one for sure. This is unacceptable. A camera that can't see color properly is as useful as a record player that only plays cassettes.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 07:47 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Michael, I feel like you are experiencing a different problem. Is it possible for you to post a still of your problem with the actress' hair? If it is a similar color shift we are seeing here in Zenes' examples that's a good indication that little of this is IR related, but unfortunately I'm starting to doubt that's the case.

-Sean
Old March 19th, 2008, 02:07 AM   #35
Trustee

Hi,

It seems to be the same thing. Somebody from the crew had a black cotton sweater and it showed reddish like the camera bag Zene posted. It seems to be the same thing. You think the hot mirror filter will work? Thanks.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 05:34 AM   #36
Regular Crew

In that case I think it will. We should start making some noise to get sony to notice this as well. It's one thing if this happens with a lot of ND in front, but under normal conditions...

-Sean
Old March 19th, 2008, 06:08 AM   #37
Trustee

I didn't have any filter on.

Paul.
Old March 19th, 2008, 12:16 PM   #38
Regular Crew

Polas and IR?

How do Polarizers work with IR - do they reflect when they are on?
I assume that when they are on, they also like NDs too.

Also would a CTB - daylight blue filter - help cut down on IR. One could color correct for in post?

Or... MAYBE, this is why the Sony does NOT have the 5600.. switch!

Would it be better to shoot exterior sunsets, to the blue, to reflect more IR (possibly?!) and then color correct in post??
Greg Voevodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 12:32 PM   #39
Regular Crew

Greg, polarizer and ND dont cut IR, this filters works only in visible light area. IR contamination can not perfect cut in post or is imposible in post. Maybe IR cut-off/Hot mirror help (if dont change other colours or something else, i read something about hot mirror dont work on wide lens ) or SONY do change in firmware if has error doing this issue.
Zenes Petrusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 02:11 PM   #40
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Donnelly View Post
We should start making some noise to get sony to notice this as well.
If I remember my induction correctly, there was a sage engineer at the BBC who patiently demonstrated why the BBC didn't think the PD150 was Broadcast Quality - he used the remote (an Infra Red remote) and pointed it through the lens.

You could see the IR LED in the viewfinder.

The engineer said that this was a bad thing, but did not elucidate further. This thread has illuminated the drawbacks to Infra Red sensitivity in an ample manner.

Maybe the Z1 design team learned this lesson, but the guys from the Cine Alta Dojo didn't think it would matter (along with the grip offset and the button placement).

Time to order a hot mirror...
Matt Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 04:17 PM   #41
Regular Crew

Just received my EX1. Same problem with black fabrics. I'm going to borrow an IR cut filter tomorrow to see if it makes a difference. If it does, I think sony owes us one. Looks like I need to send it in for vignetting as well...

-Sean
Old March 19th, 2008, 06:00 PM   #42
HDV Cinema

It's not just an ex1 thing. I remember shooting a wedding in India a year ago with a V1. I looked at a sari -- noted the color -- looked into the lcd -- and it was another color completely. Still good quality, but a different color. I think pure blue turned to magenta, or vice versa.

I suspect that the reason low cost cmos cameras don't show this effect is because they don't have a color-splitter prism. They are single chip cameras with a Bayer filter.

My guess -- the prism/color filter/cmos block responds differentially to the IR that does pass through whatever IR filter the lens has.

I wonder if the F23 processing was "fixed" because it had an error -- or it was "modified" to compensate for the excess red. For example, after a white balance and black balance the camera knows how much total visible light is coming from the scene. When the DSP finds areas that have more red than should be possible (hot areas) -- it assumes the energy is IR and corrects.

I really doubt Sony is going to add this type of correction to the ex1 given it's price-point.
Old March 19th, 2008, 09:24 PM   #43
Trustee

Well,
What do guys think about this:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...tal_UV_IR.html

Should it do the trick?
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 09:59 PM   #44
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas View Post
Well,
What do guys think about this:

Should it do the trick?
I'll let you know, I just ordered the 'thin' version that is in stock.

Also, I too heard the um 'rumor' tiffen will have a nd with ir reflection at NAB to put in your mattebox.

Also, NOTE - tiffen's hot glass reflects and thus has to be the out filter, whereas the 486 obsorbs IR and UV and can be screwed on and be the inner filter - ie - replace your lense protection filter.
Greg Voevodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 12:12 AM   #45
Regular Crew

I'm quite curious to hear about this, because I'm buying in a short time, and if I can run a nice Red Filter over top of this lens and shoot some B&W, I could quite possibly pull some B&W IR Video recording for artsy stuff :)

Dave
David Hadden is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds