Filter for IR contamination - Page 13 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 10th, 2009, 06:05 AM   #181
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krikor Djevahirdjian View Post
Does anyone know the difference between the B+W 77mm 486 UV/IR Slim and the B+W 77mm 486 UV/IR? One is Slim and the other one is not.... but my question is does the not Slim model fit in the EX1 with the hood on?
Yes, it does.
Bill Heslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 09:53 AM   #182
Major Player

3 months later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Avery View Post
Let me set the record straight as it stands right now:

I must make it abundently clear that the True-Cut IR 750 is the best solution for the RED camera and any RED user should buy that filter for their camera if using heavy ND filters. The application of the True-Cut IR 750 is only less than ideal for Sony EX users (but does work in some shooting conditions!).

Your patience is appreciated and we are likely to have a workable solution soon.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Hey Ryan - how's that "workable solution" coming?
Ronn Kilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 03:01 PM   #183
Trustee

Art Adams and I, together with Robert Orlando from Tiffen just completed some tests of Tiffen's prototype dye based IR filter for Tungstun on the EX-1. Actually it might be more accurate to say its a filter for "far red" problems rather than just IR, but I'll avoid that complexity.

I am extremely happy to report that Tiffen has appeared to completely solve this problem.

The prototype is slightly green so requires a white balance, but it completely solves red in black materials under tungstun or daylight and regardless of how much ND you shoot with. One filter solves all.

This was only the prototype and I don't know how soon it will be in commercial production. The final version I expect may be even make us happier.

Thanks and kudos to the engineering team at Tiffen.

Lenny Levy
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 03:10 PM   #184
Major Player

Good news, Lenny. One question that I've been meaning to ask: When reference is made to ND filters used in conjunction with this (or any) IR filter, are you strictly speaking about "external" ND filters stacked under the IR filter OR does this apply to the internal ND filters in the Sony? Sorry for the "duhhh" question, but this has always been fuzzy for me.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 03:10 PM   #185
Regular Crew

any test under halogen light? ;)
Marlon Martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 03:17 PM   #186
Major Player

Leonard, what about the loss of light induced by this filter? Is it still about half a stop? Or did Tiffen manage to reduce it?
Brian Cassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 05:25 PM   #187
Trustee

external or internal ND's - same
Yes 1/2 stop , but who knows what the final version will be.
Old May 28th, 2009, 06:32 PM   #188
Trustee

Leonard, does Tiffen's filter produce a green halo around the edges of the frame at the wide end of the lens? (B+W does a bit).
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 08:19 PM   #189
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Raskin View Post
Leonard, does Tiffen's filter produce a green halo around the edges of the frame at the wide end of the lens? (B+W does a bit).
No, That is the significance of a dye based filter.
Old May 28th, 2009, 08:28 PM   #190
Major Player

Thanks Leonard, Good news

I'm anxiously awaiting to pay $50 for this in 4X4 :)
Ed Kukla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 08:32 PM   #191
Major Player

Maybe Ryan will take back my 486? ;-)
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 10:50 PM   #192
Major Player

Leonard,
I'm still a little confused.... I have understood that the Tiffen IRND filters had a specific amount of dye based on the ND level of the filter.
If the new Tiffen filter coming out without ND works with regular (non-IRND) ND filters, why is it that the IRND filters could not be combined with regular ND filters before? Is this a totally new approach?
Art says in his article that the Tiffen filter can only be used with IRND ND filters, but that it surprisingly did appear to work with the internal NDs in the camera which baffled him. He says it shouldn't work like that....

I continue to be baffled.....
Old May 29th, 2009, 01:33 AM   #193
Trustee

Is this a totally new approach?

Yes.

We've been looking at lots of filters with the EX-1 and much of what Art initially said was based on assuming it was similar to other Sony's. We found though that the Tiffen IRND's had no effect on the EX-1 .

This whole business has been confusing and each camera has been different.

The new Tiffen filter seems to work extremely well and simplifies the issue on the Ex-1 . I'm not sure yet what role it play with other cameras. I hope they come out with a production version soon.
Old May 29th, 2009, 03:48 AM   #194
Inner Circle

Lenny,

Are Tiffen going to supply it as a screw-on, or 4x5.25", or both?
Old May 29th, 2009, 08:01 AM   #195
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Levy View Post
Is this a totally new approach?

Yes.

We've been looking at lots of filters with the EX-1 and much of what Art initially said was based on assuming it was similar to other Sony's. We found though that the Tiffen IRND's had no effect on the EX-1 .

This whole business has been confusing and each camera has been different.

The new Tiffen filter seems to work extremely well and simplifies the issue on the Ex-1 . I'm not sure yet what role it play with other cameras. I hope they come out with a production version soon.

I'll eagerly await the release..... this truly does sound like the 'holy grail' of filters if it can indeed be used with regular NDs!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds