Ridiculous Job Offers / Demands!! - Page 13 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Closed Thread

Old November 12th, 2005, 09:25 AM   #181
Inner Circle

Troma - the makers of the famed Toxic Avenger, a company that makes significant bucks on their DVD releases, wants you to edit FOR FREE! Well maybe a "credit" from Troma carries some weight . . . or embarrassment. Do you think Lloyd Kaufman's a pauper?

Troma Entertainment position for Video Editor available

Get your foot in the film industry door and work from home!

Troma Entertainment is currently looking for an additional person to join our video editing department. You’ll be working on Troma’s famous DVD bonus features, as well as other assignments. Candidates do not need to reside in New York City, but do need to have their own editing equipment. There is no pay to begin, but you will get credit on the DVDs for your work. This is a valuable chance to work as a member of the Troma Team directly with Lloyd Kaufman himself! Opportunities for promotion/compensation are available to the right candidate. Please make sure you include a phone number and an email address with your demo reel.

Please send your demo reel to:
Troma Entertainment
Attn: Justin Remer, Video Editor
733 Ninth Avenue, Fourth Floor
New York, NY 10019
Old November 12th, 2005, 09:44 AM   #182
Inner Circle

So he'll spend money on everything but you. It's one thing for an indy video maker dreaming of Sundance looking for deferred but it's another when a BUSINESS wants you to work FOR FREE!

Need someone to edit very short music video footage

Start-up business needs talented people who love music and want to be part of something exciting! Since it is a start-up, cash is limited. However, if someone is looking to gain experience in the realm of editing music videos, this could be the next best thing to cash. Each video edited will be very short -- approx 600k each to eventually be uploaded onto a website designed specifically for new music. The video would arrive to you in either DVcam or MiniDv format, which would need to be edited then digitized for streaming on the website. You will receive editing credit on the website. Please feel free to contact me at 917-365-1882 if interested, or reply via email. Hope to hear from you!!!!

Job location is in or around Manhattan
Compensation: You will receive editing credit on the website and possibly more
Old November 12th, 2005, 09:05 PM   #183
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman
Do you think Lloyd Kaufman's a pauper?
Have you seen any of his movies? :)
Old November 13th, 2005, 07:47 AM   #184
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper
Have you seen any of his movies? :)
Yes. He makes a fortune on DVD rentals. They're cult classics. I have a friend who used to work for Troma. He was paid. Low but paid.

That same friend left Troma and did his own film for $20,000 in 1987. In 2000 it was released on DVD. Still making money. Troma films make more. L. Kaufman's a millionaire. He's gone from low pay to no pay because more people are willing to work for NOTHING!

It's one thing to do that for a pipe dream Sundance hopeful but people are working for nothing for businesses that are making money. The reason we find SO MANY Ridculous Job Offers is because they're finding ridiculous people to fill these positions too . . . and they even expect you to buy and use your own gear!!!
Old November 13th, 2005, 11:16 PM   #185
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman
He's gone from low pay to no pay because more people are willing to work for NOTHING!

Quote:
The reason we find SO MANY Ridculous Job Offers is because they're finding ridiculous people to fill these positions too!!!
That is the bottom line.
Old November 15th, 2005, 12:58 AM   #186
Slash Rules!

I think there've been other posts by this dude. Unless there's more than one of them. . .which is scary. I really truly think he's totally serious. He's gonna die young. For real.

"Yo what's up, I am doing a shoot on the 18th and need a few good crew members, and preferably the kind who aren't afraid of a fight as one could break out. Basically I need a boom operator who won't be afraid to turn that boom into a bo staff if it comes to that. This is for November 18th and it will last all day and a bit into the next day possibly.

Ok, so let me give you the deal: I am Cloud Starchaser, aspiring professional hero, and this is part of our pilot we are shooting for a hyperreality professional hero show called Heroic Destiny Squad. Basically it's a super hero show but it's real, we take on real villains such as the Chinese Communist Party or Hitler types.

We are going to Cornell for a speech by this dude Tucker Max from another website, http://www.tuckermax.com/ to interview him but he knows we're planning on coming and has said a crowd will gang up on us or he will have us thrown out. We are shooting on mini-DV Panasonic DVX-`100A but if anyone else has a camera that is good too.

So there is the possiblity of being thrown out or a large brawl. We need crew to film it because this is a show but we need crew that can switch into fight mode because you're part of a REAL SUPER HERO TEAM. Don't worry, I'm always on point so if a fight breaks out my fist is going straight for Tucker Max's nose right off.

We are low budget now so this is no pay. Basically I am looking for people who would be interested in doing it just for the fun, and also potential future crew members. Remember: there may be a fight and we may be thrown out. I need a crew that can work the equipment but also throw down and not be afraid to put your boom through someone's head.

Also I'm not looking for a fight, but I am a professional hero and a lot of the guys who like Tucker Max are college jock types who will laugh at my costume. And if they do laugh I'm putting my foot through their face. Also since it's a college operation I will be in frat form and getting wasted the whole time so looking for crew down for getting wasted and picking up chicks while we're there.

My website is:

http://www.heroicdestinysquad.com/

Respond if interested! Nice!

* this is in or around Cornell University
* no -- it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
* Compensation: Possible future hiring on H.D.S. show "
Old November 15th, 2005, 10:46 AM   #187
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory
"A local production company is seeking a on point producer for a music video. This is a low budget production, there is pay but it will not be substantial. We are seeking a TRUE professional, someone who knows their stuff. This will be a 2-3 day shoot, all go go go. It will be worth your reel."

"I'm sorry but we REALLY do not have the time for newbies so the non experienced need not apply ( but if you have other skills..grip, gafter, etc we may be interested in using you, more than likely unpaid)"
A production company looking for a producer?
There is pay? For a producer?

I thought the producer paid everyone else and waited for the big payoff at the end. An investor.
Old November 15th, 2005, 02:44 PM   #188
Major Player

On the one hand there are some really good, skilled professionals who are out of work, and this is very unfortunate.

On the other hand, I find it funny that low-budget, inexperienced amateurs put out neverending streams of Craigslist ads looking for "TRUE professionals" to work on their pissant project for little or no pay. If the person being sought were a true professional, even if they were out of work or looking for their next gig, they almost certainly wouldn't be willing to work for absurdly low pay.
Old November 16th, 2005, 06:18 AM   #189
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Porter
On the one hand there are some really good, skilled professionals who are out of work, and this is very unfortunate.

On the other hand, I find it funny that low-budget, inexperienced amateurs put out neverending streams of Craigslist ads looking for "TRUE professionals" to work on their pissant project for little or no pay. If the person being sought were a true professional, even if they were out of work or looking for their next gig, they almost certainly wouldn't be willing to work for absurdly low pay.
Like this one...

Quote:
We will be taping on Dec 3 and 4th or 4 and 5th. You should have filmed videos and or films before and have tape or reel. You must be professionla and have experience shooting with Panasonic DBS 1024p Must have or be able to rent lighting. Pay is $175.00 per day. This is a SAG experimental film. Filming is 4-12 hours a days. The faster and more professional you are the faster we will get done. (Please note we are looking for a sound guy too, if you come as a team thats even better)
But, it is SAG Experimental (and therefore Lo by definition almost) and they are paying. But want Pro for 175 a day.
Old November 16th, 2005, 12:10 PM   #190
Major Player

well gals/ guys,

here it is...

i am a beginner, not a professional in a sence of schooling, college etc., but been shooting for many years now.
about a year and a half ago, i stepped up to a xl1-s set up, along with everything you need. (should hear my wife!)

i do not edit, and most of my shootings are in a theater/ studio setting. my question to you is, who would give me projects without a portfolio? a b-roll?who would pay for someone without a portfolio? expirience?
so, i was shooting without, ( i call that investment) or very little pay, just to cover my media and gas.
now a year later, more expirience (still know very little) i am getting paid. not enough to make a living, but....
how did you professionals started out? as professionals, or did you had to learn your ropes?

i am at a point where i even thing to get somekind of professional training in regards to lighting/ filter, sound etc. (just hard to find in the bay area)

i think that the end result, and the satisfaction of the clients counts, not the equipment and/ or the degree. i am very upfront with my clients about editing/ audio lighting, they know before i show up what i can do for them or not.

greetings
Old November 16th, 2005, 02:27 PM   #191
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Heiner
well gals/ guys,

here it is...

i am a beginner, not a professional in a sence of schooling, college etc., but been shooting for many years now.
about a year and a half ago, i stepped up to a xl1-s set up, along with everything you need. (should hear my wife!)

i do not edit, and most of my shootings are in a theater/ studio setting. my question to you is, who would give me projects without a portfolio? a b-roll?who would pay for someone without a portfolio? expirience?
so, i was shooting without, ( i call that investment) or very little pay, just to cover my media and gas.
now a year later, more expirience (still know very little) i am getting paid. not enough to make a living, but....
how did you professionals started out? as professionals, or did you had to learn your ropes?

i am at a point where i even thing to get somekind of professional training in regards to lighting/ filter, sound etc. (just hard to find in the bay area)

i think that the end result, and the satisfaction of the clients counts, not the equipment and/ or the degree. i am very upfront with my clients about editing/ audio lighting, they know before i show up what i can do for them or not.

greetings
Uhhhh.......did you write that or is it a ridiculous post that you found and shared with us? It doesn't really sound all that ridiculous. If you did write it, I think you posted it in the wrong forum and thread.
Old November 16th, 2005, 02:30 PM   #192
Regular Crew

Wishy Washy!

And these folks want to be taken seriously!

"Looking for limited experienced to very experienced camera man.
Needed to shoot pilot episode for sitcom.
There is no editing involved"
Old November 16th, 2005, 02:41 PM   #193
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory
Uhhhh.......did you write that or is it a ridiculous post that you found and shared with us? It doesn't really sound all that ridiculous. If you did write it, I think you posted it in the wrong forum and thread.

hello james,

yes i did write that. my thought was, that there are people like me, who take jobs for nothing, or have taken jobs for nothing, on the way up, to learn etc.

i agree there are a lot of ridiculus job offers, but one has to start somewhere, and i guess some people know that.

greetings
Old November 16th, 2005, 03:16 PM   #194
Regular Crew

Oh yes, I think it's safe to say that we have all worked for free and I occassionally still do if not for deferrment which is a caculated risk. I may do it for a friend or for a project that I believe in. The point of this thread though, is to show how demanding some people can be when asking for help whether it's clearly for no compensation or for deferrment. No one should be that way when that is the situation. They should be happy with what they can get, for free! If you look carefully through this thread you will see some scattered discussion about this.
Old November 18th, 2005, 07:56 PM   #195
Regular Crew

Rigorous internship, uh......, non-paid of course!

"Film company located in the heart of Xxxxxxx is looking for interns to fill our rigorous internship program. We are looking for students who are reliable, creative, and knowledgeable of the film industry. Must be enrolled in an accredited college/university, or a senior in high school. This is an intense internship and we are searching for someone who is serious in learning what it takes to be a part of the film industry. Film/Video majors, Communications/Journalism majors, Graphic Design majors. Please e-mail resumes with contact information.

Compensation: This is a non-paid internship"
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business