Ridiculous Job Offers / Demands!! - Page 19 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Closed Thread

Old January 2nd, 2006, 11:07 AM   #271
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass
As someone kindly already pointed out on the NY craiglist crew forum, the crew of director, DP, intern, and hair/makeup person ain't gonna cut it for doing something that looks really polished, unless you take a reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllllllly long time. You just can't move fast/efficiently with that few people. So he's gonna pay people to make a product that's inferior to what he wants (referring to the DP influences he mentioned). That's my effort for the week. I think.
What crew at minimum would cut it?
Old January 2nd, 2006, 02:08 PM   #272
Major Player

Ooh! Ooh! I finally found one that I know is ridiculous; I've seen some questionable ones before (outrageous for working professionals with bills to pay, but still kind of acceptable for some people), but this is so amazing it's got to be a joke. Showed up on the LIFILM mailing list this morning.

"I am shooting a feature in New Jersey and am looking to use someone's film equipment. I'd rather 35 but will settle for a 16mm film camera with everything. I will also need a jib, dolly tracks, lighting equipment, sound equipment, etc by next weekend. No pay but great experience for your equipment. If I like using it maybe I will give you credit in the film. I may need it longer than the weekend because I have another film to shoot next month. Please reply ASAP. It will be really smart of you because I have contacts in the business... just not really sure where I dropped them... a little industry humor, but in all seriousness, let me use your equipment. You'll be glad you did."
Old January 2nd, 2006, 02:45 PM   #273
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass
I'm talking out of my ass here. . .

But I'd think two electrician/grips, at least.

Anyone?

I agree (with more emphasis on the grip work than the actual electrician work). Anyone else?
Old January 2nd, 2006, 02:49 PM   #274
Major Player

Robert, that one is awesome.

- he'll settle for a free 16mm camera "with everything."
- he'll need tens of thousands of dollars of equipment, by next weekend.
- no pay
- it will be really smart of you
- even if he does like using your equipment for free, he may not give you credit!

I assume it's a "he" because there are way more callous a-hole guys on the planet like this, than women.
Old January 3rd, 2006, 09:53 AM   #275
Inner Circle

Blatent! DISGUSTING! Advertising firm wants you to work for FREE!

SHORT VIDEO WANTED

Reply to: skinmilkvideo@gmail.com
Date: 2006-01-03, 10:28AM EST

Small advertising firm seeks creative 60 second (aprox) digital video about national skincare product, available at mass, for viral internet dissemination.

NO compensation, but credit on product's national website will be given to winning video.

For more information about content parameters & submission deadlines email skinmilkvideo@gmail.com ASAP.

Perfect opportunity for students & young designers to add to resume!
Old January 3rd, 2006, 08:08 PM   #276
Regular Crew

This just ticks me off

WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!

These scumbags should get what they deserve, I just hope that's a big fat nothing...
Old January 4th, 2006, 01:53 AM   #277
Inner Circle

How ridiculous can we get?! You get to pay $15,000 to direct their movie. It starts now and shooting begins in February . . . but there's no director and they still don't have the money together and this film has "huge potential." I can barely fathom the mental illness that would cause someone to work this way!

Director Wanted Now...

Reply to: gigs-122470457@craigslist.org
Date: 2006-01-04, 12:19AM EST

Director Wanted Now...

Independent "Napoleon Dynamite-esque" type film, with micro-budget, seeks capable and creative Director, for filming in Los Angeles. Please be capable of bringing $15,000 (or 10%). Director equity points involved. Project begins in early January and shoots in February. Film has huge potential.
this is in or around NY/LA/USA
no -- it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
Compensation: tbd with producers.
Old January 4th, 2006, 01:58 AM   #278
Inner Circle

Clearly this is the same scam artist that wanted you to do their skincare product, I posted a few hours ago. Their scam didn't work so here's their new approach!

The commercial is now a "PSA" (do they know what a PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT IS?). They get "high exposure" (translation possible profit) and you get . . .

Video Needed for High-Exposure Web Project

Reply to: gigs-122460072@craigslist.org
Date: 2006-01-03, 11:10PM EST

Looking for a simple, but comedic 60-second "PSA" video/web-short based on a concept currently in development.

Unable to pay for your work at this time, but would be a great opportunity for someone who needs material for a portfolio. We expect high-exposure and you will be credited.

You should be professional yet fun, as well as friendly and a great sense of humor.

Please Send links to samples of your work, specifically videos/web-shorts.
no -- it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
Compensation: $0
Old January 4th, 2006, 08:09 AM   #279
Major Player

Okay, I suppose I've lurked this thread long enough...

James, in reference to you earlier post about the "producer" who had the money. Same thing happened to me. I was halfway through assembling a crew for a project this "producer" was going to produce and direct, from a script I had written, and then he tells me he doesn't really have the money(short story version). I had been in touch with a lot of talented people whose help I could have used on other projects but just didn't have the guts to call them again. "Hey remember me, the guy who didn't deliver last time?..."

And I have to admit that I, too, have been a victim of a scam. Not a scam as much as a lazy ad agency, as was referrenced before. A while back an ad agency for a well known sneaker company (unnamed because they seem to troll boards) was running a "film contest" and the winners would end up with national spots. Now I will say that some spots were made, but when I called up to get information about what they were looking for the contact at the ad agency said she "didn't want to limit my creativity". Well after rushing through two quick projects, which were okay but not great, I really thought about all of this.

Basically, this agency was hired to do an ad campaign, didn't want to expend the effort and just said "hey, make a commercial for us, and if we like it, we'll buy it". All told I was out very little money and about two weekends worth of work, so it wasn't devastating. It sure was a waste of time though...
Old January 4th, 2006, 11:29 AM   #280
Regular Crew

I don't know if this is a 5 or 7 day week but either way it is truly ridiculous. They are also not clear if that rate is just for the gear or for labor and gear. I'm betting it's the whole package.

".....looking for a Cameraman who own a PD-150 or PD-170.
Compensation is $450.00 dollars for a one week rental."
Old January 4th, 2006, 11:43 AM   #281
Regular Crew

Craig, I saw that same post on the Atlanta Craig's List too. These people are like viruses spreading all over the place.
Old January 5th, 2006, 05:37 PM   #282
Slash Rules!

Two for the price of one. First, truly ridiculous:

"Houston's 1st BURLESQUE Troupe, Concrete Rose Cabaret, is looking for a VERY talented videographer to make their promo reel!

We are looking for someone who can video our dancers as they perform each choreographed number and then combine and edit the footage into a cutting edge, eye catching 3 minute reel.

This reel will be seen by top execs at SXSW, The Buzz Fest, Warp Tour, The Winter Music Conference, and will also be showcased in a month long art gallery show!

This is a huge opportunity for you to get your name out there and to be seen by very important people in the industry!

For more info look us up at www.myspace.concreterosecabaret.com b/c our website is currently undergoing a major revamp!

* Job location is Houston, TX
* Compensation: Up to $50 depending on your experience- EXPOSURE
* no -- Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
* no -- Please, no phone calls about this job!
* no -- Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
* no -- Reposting this message elsewhere is NOT OK."

fifty dollars! AWESOME!

And now:

"Reply to: see below
Date: 2006-01-04, 11:49AM CST

High pressure, big rewards, giant adventure.

Multi-talented, open minded, flexible, motivated on-air correspondent/
videographer needed.

This is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Travel the United States with a
camera and a producer. You will hone your eye as a cameraman while sharpening
your acting and communication skills as on-air talent working for the wine
and spirits industry.

As a correspondent (on-air talent) you will be required to ad-lib while
interviewing people. You must genuinely like to talk to people and have an
uncanny ability to put people at ease in front of the camera. You will be
required to open and close episodes without the use of copy; improvisation
skills are required.

As a cameraman you must have a firm understanding of composition, truly enjoy
shooting as much as being in front of the camera, have a working knowledge of
digital cameras, 3-point lighting and have a steady hand.

Physically: You must be a healthy male, able to withstand traveling for long
periods of time, between the ages of 25-35 years old (PLEASE do not respond
if you are under 25 years old we CANNOT hire people under 25), clean-cut, yet
hip.

We are looking for a motivated individual who loves adventure,
troubleshooting, is able to stay cool and organized under pressure and can be
on the road for the majority of the year.

Familiarity with motor sports racing is a major plus but not necessary.

Weekly salary, per diem and a completion bonus.

Clean driving record, background checks required.

Please send one DVD with your shooting and on-camera reel, plus a resume and
3 personal/3 professional references to:

Sharp Left
ATTN: On-air Camera
630 9th Avenue, Suite 208
New York, NY 10036

Deadline for applications: January 17, 2006

This is a non-union job opportunity.

* Job location is USA
* Compensation: Weekly salary, per diem and completion bonus
* no -- Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
* no -- Please, no phone calls about this job!
* no -- Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
* yes -- Reposting this message elsewhere is OK."

Instead of hiring a camera and talent. . .let's just combine the two! Because, you know, the chances that the person who's good at acting is also a brilliant cameraman. . .why, there must be millions of those! And, it is, of course, easy as hell to compose a shot that you can't see. . .'cause you're in it! Why WOULDN'T this be a great idea? I should just remove this post right now.
Old January 6th, 2006, 12:46 PM   #283
Major Player

That IS ridiculous, because the way they worded it appears to put them in violation of discrimination laws.
Old January 6th, 2006, 12:52 PM   #284
Regular Crew

I don't know what to say about this except that if the demos are any indication of the top performers.......well, see for yourself.

"Check out this website for all the details:

www.hotandfunny.com

No previous experience in acting or modeling required. You just need to be hot, know a couple funny jokes and can get yourself on tape to show us that you’re Hot and Funny.

Top prize: $2,500 to the Hottest and Funniest person who sends in a video.

The first 25 people from the Atlanta area who send in a video that we use will get a free Hot and Funny T-shirt. Just include a copy of this ad with your video.

DEADLINE FOR VIDEO SUBMISSIONS: FRIDAY JANUARY 27TH, 2006

For more information, write to xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
Old January 6th, 2006, 02:07 PM   #285
Slash Rules!

Are you really not allowed to discriminate when hiring? Isn't that whole thing conditional? i mean if you're lookin' for young people, you're lookin' for young people, etc.

I saw an ad for a job as a camera guy (broadcast three cam shoots) at a church, and one requirement was being a Christian (I'm a bad Jew).
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business