Ridiculous Job Offers / Demands!! - Page 28 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Closed Thread

Old January 24th, 2006, 09:25 PM   #406
Major Player

So I have this client that is sending me to various Resort Hotels in California to tape their programs. They pay my fee plus, rent my equipment. They also pay for parking, hotel room, room service, bar and restaurant tab, but they will not pay for in-room movie. Would you walk?
Old January 24th, 2006, 09:31 PM   #407
Slash Rules!

Uh oh. I think someone's making fun of James.
Old January 24th, 2006, 09:34 PM   #408
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass
No no, please don't misunderstand. . .it's not an attack. .
LMAO!! Boy, I like to watch you squirm!! Hahaha!

The rates that I get are what I am used to getting for the projects and shows that I have worked on and for the 15 years of experience that I have put in, just like anyone else that makes the same if not more.
Old January 24th, 2006, 09:37 PM   #409
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Davidson
So I have this client that is sending me to various Resort Hotels in California to tape their programs. They pay my fee plus, rent my equipment. They also pay for parking, hotel room, room service, bar and restaurant tab, but they will not pay for in-room movie. Would you walk?
Heck yeah, I couldn't do the job unless my movies were paid for! Who wouldn't give up $1500 a day to get that? Hahaha!
Old January 24th, 2006, 09:39 PM   #410
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass
Uh oh. I think someone's making fun of James.
He didn't mention any names, squirt!
Old January 24th, 2006, 09:39 PM   #411
Slash Rules!

But seriously, in those 15 years, how many shoots (days, I guess) have you had? Rough estimate.
Old January 24th, 2006, 09:41 PM   #412
Regular Crew

What is this, the Bass Inquisition?
Old January 24th, 2006, 09:56 PM   #413
Slash Rules!

Done. Now answer, James Emory.
Old January 24th, 2006, 10:01 PM   #414
Regular Crew

Not that I owe you an explanation, unless it's for a job, but I'll send you links to my info because I don't like openly yapping about my accomplishments. Although anyone can see a partial client list on my website.
Old January 24th, 2006, 10:09 PM   #415
Slash Rules!

Ok, so, point made--you can justify those rates. I, on the other hand, can list pretty much every shoot I've had on one page.
Old January 24th, 2006, 10:14 PM   #416
Regular Crew

Thanks for your approval. If you're not paralyzed from someone smacking you for that mouth of yours, in 15 years you'll have a longer list too. :O
Old January 24th, 2006, 10:19 PM   #417
Slash Rules!

Smacking my mouth? How much have you worked around production people? We're all just filthy. Get a bunch of dudes together. . .filthy. Filthy. The lower end the production, the filthier they are.

So, sorry if I genuinely offended you (and you're not just making me squirm again). I'm used to filthy people.
Old January 24th, 2006, 10:49 PM   #418
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory
I would shoot it and provide the gear that was requested for $700 and $925 to add a 4 light Arri kit with a Chimera and a field monitor. Tapes would be extra along with any OT, if any, after 10 hours.
hello james,

thanks,

but do you suggest one should take all the not requested equipment, just in case it will be needed?
how do you upgrade your fees?
is your fee then a all day fee, and not limited to the 2 hours?

greetings
Old January 24th, 2006, 10:53 PM   #419
Slash Rules!

I hear upgrading fees is hard, and often means losing that client. So far, not an issue for the Bass.
Old January 24th, 2006, 11:47 PM   #420
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Heiner
hello james,

thanks,

but do you suggest one should take all the not requested equipment, just in case it will be needed?
how do you upgrade your fees?
is your fee then a all day fee, and not limited to the 2 hours?

greetings
I need to say that I don't necessarily command these rates, they are what I am offered when I work in key positions on network shows. I do set these same rates for my personal clients and I guess I've been lucky to get them so far because they are always happy with the end product.

Myself and others that I work with usually don't work half days because there's really no way to sell the other half. Now, in a busier market like LA, that may be different because there is so much work. Like a said earlier, it rarely if ever is as short as they say it will be for whatever reason(s) and you need to be covered if it goes over. If you agree to a lower rate for two hours and it goes over, guess what, you're working for free! This knowledge comes with experience and by getting screwed.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business